Fuse Blowing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSGU1-4936

Reaction score
I having a problem with the fuse for the fan, it keeps blowing when the fan should be kicking in. I'm thinking there is a short somewhere?correct, if not what should I be looking at, to either test or replace.

Thanks,

Ron

:cheers:

Ron, start by checking your fan switch under the right scoop. Work your way from there to the blue wire, to your fan. There's a short somewhere between there. I'm betting a fan switch wire is touching your scoop. Been there. :)

Ron, start by checking your fan switch under the right scoop. Work your way from there to the blue wire, to your fan. There's a short somewhere between there. I'm betting a fan switch wire is touching your scoop. Been there. :)

Thanks Mark, I'll take a look

Mark i took a look there are no bare or frayed wires exposed that would short against the cover. I ran them they are all taped up, the ones that are exposed are not frayed or showing any bare wires

Mark I just connected aa 12v battery to the fan terminals and the fan does work. If the Thermoswitch is malfunctioning would that cause the fuse to blow. I suspect if the fuse is blowing the thermoswitch is functioning, openning to send a current to the fuse??

Ron

Ron, if the fuse is blowing that means the thermo switch is working. It looks like the short is somewhere in between the thermoswitch and the fan motor.

Ron, if the fuse is blowing that means the thermo switch is working. It looks like the short is somewhere in between the thermoswitch and the fan motor.

Looks like I will be removing some black electrical tape off of some wires tonight!

Thanks Mark

Ron, do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Just wondering if I'm reading my meter correctly? Connected it to the fan at the junction on the left side of the bike, I get resistance when the meter is set to Ohms, when I connect it ti the 2 posts on the thermoswitch I get resistance(reading), when I connect it to the housing that clips to the thermoswitch I dont get resistance if the left side is not connected to the fan, if it is connected to the fan I get resistance.

So are the readings I'm getting correct, in that I dont have a short anymore, after playing with the wires a bit the reading from the right side plastic housing that connects to the thermoswitch have gone. I,m thinking that the wires were loose in the housing and touching metal somewhere.

Ron

:hmmm:

Ron, the thermo switch should read resistance between the two wires. It'll read continuity when the switch closes. This is when the fan should come on...when the coolant reaches the switch temperature.

That's good the short is gone, it looks like the thermo switch terminals were causing the problem. Just insulate that area well. I got a short when I put the scoop back on.

Ron, the thermo switch should read resistance between the two wires. It'll read continuity when the switch closes. This is when the fan should come on...when the coolant reaches the switch temperature.

That's good the short is gone, it looks like the thermo switch terminals were causing the problem. Just insulate that area well. I got a short when I put the scoop back on.

Thanks for the help Mark, the fan kicked in today when I was at a light when the temp gauge climbed just pass the center line

Ron

:cheers:

Back