FZ1 or Z1000?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
been looking at these 2, financing is pretty easy, payments wont be too much. as far as looks go, i like the z1000. but i kinda want to get another yamaha and the new r6 and r1 look kinda weird to me.

any advice or input?

2 of my buddies had an '02 fz1. i didn't like it. it was too twitchy, vibey and didn't feel comfortable compared to othe rstandards. the z1k has some amazing reviews.

i liked my 955 s3 (2001 iirc) over the '02 fz1 even though the fz1 was probably faster. just smoother and better in my opinion.

never rode a z1k though.

I assume your thinking Gen 2 FZ....totally different bike than the Gen 1...which is that '02.

I like the z1000 myself, but when I was looking the FZ1 came out on top overall........

Multi purpose get the FZ..........If your a B-King kinda guy with one purpose only, get the Z.......
either bike is worth the ride.

I like the Ninja 1000. I think it is a better "overall" bike than the Z1000. More versatile as can add bags, etc for trips and better wind protection. Not as cool looking though. :biglaugh:

I rode both (2011 models) and definitely preferred the Z. The Yamaha wasn't as torquey, had more vibration, a tall, hard seat, and in general felt a little more twitchy over bumps. It was still a nice bike, but to me the Z was just "a bit better" in every way. Plus the FZ is a little long in the tooth style wise and the Z looks bad ass. The FZ didn't have much personality to me, where the Z has a vboost like "hit" of power in the upper midrange that lofts the front wheel with ease to a huge top end hustle. Plus you got a great intake howl when you opened it up.

The Ninja 1000 is more similar to the FZ1, though mechanically it shares a lot with the Z. Little more relaxed posture, shorter gearing, more fairings.

Overall the Kawi is just more fun, more for hooligans, where the Yamaha is more "mature" in feel.

Said it before and I'll say it again, the z1000 is the bike the gen2 should have been.

Check out the FZ8, very similar riding position to the Z1000, just not as much power. Big discount buying and insurance though, and its plenty fast too. I constantly have to watch it when riding:biglaugh:

Gotta Love a Small, Fast Bike...:confused2:

Attachments

• FZ8 0.jpg
    FZ8 0.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 15
  • FZ8 1.jpg
    FZ8 1.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 15
I agree SpecOps, Slap a pipe on that "8" and you'll not regret it!!:punk:

Attachments

• DSCN0424.jpg
    DSCN0424.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0418.jpg
    DSCN0418.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 13
I would actually have the FZ8 over the FZ1. The 1 is overall kind of long in the tooth, way overdue for an update while the 8 was brand new, what, last year? And the power difference isn't as big as you might think. The 8 is considerably stronger than the 6, but only a small step behind the 1, at least according to the butt dyno.

The 8 is a really good bargain for what you get also. I've seen them new on dealer floors for around eight grand. It's plenty fast for all but the biggest hooligans and is an extremely competent all-around streetbike. Probably one of the best "bang for your buck" bikes out there.

Then again, you can find leftover Z's on ebay in the 8-9k range as well. The only thing to change since the "gen3" in 2010 is color schemes so there's no serious reason to have to get a new one.

Dave would agree w/you! (SpecOps13)

Check out the FZ8, very similar riding position to the Z1000, just not as much power. Big discount buying and insurance though, and its plenty fast too. I constantly have to watch it when riding:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back