FZ1 rotor and caliper modification

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can pick up box tubing with varing wall thickness and if you pay a little more you can even get some "moly" tubing (lighter and stronger). The size we used was 1" box though I can't remember the gauge/wall thickness at the moment.

They have some 11 GA box and rectangular tubing which would be nice. I will ask them about moly tubing as well. I only have a Flux core welder so I wonder how Moly will weld to mild steel with that.

I wouldn't do a through all bolt system like you did for aesthetic reasons. What i did on mine was weld a nut on the inside of the swingarm and just screw a bolt through the bracket from the inside into the nut welded to the swingarm...

Attachments

• 299511_248693175182298_100001248527498_775513_1708955483_n.jpg
    299511_248693175182298_100001248527498_775513_1708955483_n.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 65
Update....

I bought the square tubing and the new swing arm and I got to work mocking everything up.

I decided to go with a tab to bolt the caliper mount to. I figured this way I can use a nylock nut to make sure it wont come loose.

Getting everything cut down the way I want...

So this is where I am at now. I need to do some clean up on the swing arm and some adjustments to the caliper mount. From my old swing arm to this new one the caliper is slightly aligned off to one side of the rotor. It still clears the way it is but I would like it to be a little more on center.

I had to add two washers between the caliper mount and the plate I welded to the swing arm. Without the right spacing if you crank down in the mounting bolt you could slightly twist the caliper mount and the pads wouldn't be parallel with the rotor.

New update....

Swing arm is painted, and everything is back on. I ended up buying a mini lathe to make some custom spacers. This can still be done with the washers and spacers I originally was using.

So there it is, 267 rotor mod with FZ1 underslung caliper. Can't wait until spring so I can take it for a test run...

I like it Ben! That should work great, I like your rotor, brake hanger and caliper, very clean looking mounted up nice and tight.
I have a spacer between my brake arm and swingarm tab which I want to eliminate and I would like to do something with the tab that is a little more "fitted" looking. I also want to look at rerouting the brake line as there is a lot of line in a somewhat vulnerable position. My setup works great so it will be a year or so before I dig into that though.

Brian,

I have a spacer between my brake arm and swing arm tab as well. It was tough welding the swing arm tab just right so I didn't twist the brake arm and cause the pads to not be parallel. I figured it would be easier to machine a spacer that was the correct width to prevent this.

Brian,

I have a spacer between my brake arm and swing arm tab as well. It was tough welding the swing arm tab just right so I didn't twist the brake arm and cause the pads to not be parallel. I figured it would be easier to machine a spacer that was the correct width to prevent this.
Good point, probably why I shouldn't attempt on my own since I didn't even think that there could be any issue like that. Thanks for the clue in Ben, I would have been screwing up a perfectly good setup up. :biglaugh:

The only reason I was so particular about this set up was because the old set up that is shown on the first page of this thread had that same issue. When I removed the caliper I noticed the pads were worn funny and this was one of the reasons I decided to make a change.

Feels like a dumb question but I'm asking anyway because I'm not familiar with the wheel used here.

Can someone confirm the FZ1 rotor bolts right up to a stock VMax wheel?

I looked the bolt circle is the same. The differences are the width of the rotor and it is a handful of mm smaller in diameter.

Feels like a dumb question but I'm asking anyway because I'm not familiar with the wheel used here.

Can someone confirm the FZ1 rotor bolts right up to a stock VMax wheel?

I looked the bolt circle is the same. The differences are the width of the rotor and it is a handful of mm smaller in diameter.

I guess you answered your own question?

Specs on 92-07 VMAX rotors is:
OD - 298mm
ID - 132mm
PCD - 6x150mm
Square countersunk 8mm holes

liked the look of the FZ1 rear caliper when I saw it on Gary Spradley's page, and liked the idea of slightly smaller FZ1 rotor....... except I already had the Otec billet swingarm, and it is all swiss-cheesed underneath....... so, went overslung with a custom mount I had a machinist whip up.

Attachments

• n_a5.jpg
    n_a5.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 14
  • n_a6.jpg
    n_a6.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back