FZR 1000 USD forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamax

Reaction score
IfI am having an affordable fork set with the tripple tree, how can I adapt it for a 93-up Vmax ? Is it practical?
All feedback appreciated.
Thank you
Adam

Depends what you mean by practical.

Can it be done - yes

Will it help the handling? Yes it is better than OE - yes (but with qualifications, see below). I've been told by one who has had both that the later OE forks with Racetech springs and emulators were as good or even better than his USD set up.

Is it cost effective? Now this is for you to decide.
You will need either stepped yokes, which some say can compromise the benefit of the stiffer fork tubes as the distance between the top and bottom yoke is reduced; or you will need to have the fork tubes extended to avoid this.
As the Max is somewhat heavier than the donor bike the forks will probably need to have springs and damping revised.
You may also need to make arrangements to accommodate the speedo drive.

No idea of the cost but you will be into $ x 000's!

IMHO the only good reason to do this is for looks as the later OE forks can be made to perform at a level that is better than the vast majority of riders need at a cost significantly less that going USD.

Use the money saved to get some 17" wheels.

I will probably go upgrading the existing forks and brakes before going to USD forks at the moment. Thank you all for the input and help.

Satariel, I am sorry I do not have enough info about the forks other than they belong to the 94-95 FZR1000, so they are Ohlins I am looking at about 5-6 notes in terms of expenditure, otherwise wheels and extended arm. The worm is eating my head though. Okay, todays reading at the forum lead me to think: The receipe is FZR 1000 forks, Frank's fork tubes that are longer than the FZR actual tubes to compensate for the difference compared to the vmax forks, the FZR triple clamp, then mix it all in the mixer.
Can this setup work with some tuning of components? I also wonder can I use the vmax wheel?

i've mated an fzr1000ru front end to an 84 vf1000fe and:
-newer usd forks are always gonna be shorter than old rwu ones
-if the diff is not too big, you could refrain from using slugs and simply turn and push steering stems between vmax and fzr bottom yokes
-if the diff is big, and you dont want to use slugs, then you could use another bottom yoke as a top one as its gullwing type i think (milling reqd)
-see what head bearings are used on both bikes(this determines which steering stem to use) or you could always cut and reweld a one-off for correct lenght and bearings
-you will keep the speedo drive off the axle
-use fzr wheel/discs/r1 bluespot calipers or vmax wheel and custom caliper brackets
-use only 92-93 fzr1000ru parts as the foex-eye was different(94-95)

Attachments

• Photo008_001s.jpg
    Photo008_001s.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo009_001s.jpg
    Photo009_001s.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 47
here's one:
Ian-5.jpg

yes on the wheel but you will need a custom axle and threaded insert for the fork leg. using longer forks will negate pretty much all the advantages of the inverted forks but it will still look cool.

Sean

oh yeah, you could use the vmax wheel with a custom axle, but then you would be able to use r1/r6 etc discs and blue spot calipers as the fzr had 100mm ctr-to-cntr bolt pattern
actually, i might do such mod myself oneday ;)

Latest posts

Back