FZR experience

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 MAX-fan

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a sportbike in addition to the V-MAX. While I really can't justify a new bike at this time, it is the right time to buy used. I am looking at a low mileage 1995 FZR1000. Adult owned and surprizingly clean. Anybody ever have one of these? Anybody run theirs at the strip and have a real quarter mile time to report?
I realize it's not in the same league as a ZX-14, but figure it should take a stock V-MAX in the quarter.....(sorry everyone).
Pluses - Its a liter class bike, and its a Yamaha
Minuses???

I owned a 92 FZR1000 and an 88 FZR1000. The 92 never made it to the track before I sold it but it was faster then the Vmax so somewhere in the upper half of the 10's is what I would say.

My 88 had a lot of engine work done so it was faster. Best pass was 10.20 on it without the nitrous (it made 196 rwhp on the nitrous and 133 rwhp on motor only).

Both were great bikes. Minuses? Cost of insurance is rude.

Sean

At the Ontario Drag Day there was a Yamaha (w/ genuine Yamaha parts only) that was giving fits to the Vmax's. The owner of the Fazer also has a Vmax or two so he was there with the Fazer to show off his genuine Yamaha parts bike.:biglaugh:

Yep, we've got a FZR/Fazer combo here too that is considerably faster then the Vmax. I sent sheldon a price some time back to upgrade his wifes Fazer.

Sean

Ya, pretty much the only minus is that you will be mercilessly raped sans lubrication for insurance premiums. If you think the Vmax is pricey....I have a couple friends who ride 600-class bikes and pay almost twice what I do for my Max, so I can't imagine what a liter bike would cost. And this is in the northeast, where bike insurance is cheaper due to a shorter riding season.

And it doesn't have that super-sweet V4 exhaust note, or v-boost. But it also doesn't have a rock hard seat, silver dollar sized tach, and shitty stock brakes, so it's your call.

Got an insurance quote of 250 for the year which is considerably better than a new R1, so I find it quite acceptable. Thats full coverage too.
I figured that it should be good for a solid 2-6 tenths on a bone stock Max as it looks to be 100 lbs lighter with the same horsepower.
For the money it should provide some serious fun/dollar ratio.

Still looking for an FZR1000? My 88 FZR I sold a couple of years ago is back on the market. Engine ran 10.11 in our drag fazer before we swapped it over. 4" over arm, Kosman rear widened wheel. Very clean. Needs a new front plastic screen. He is asking $3000.

Sean

I didn't own one, but a guy i worked with did and he let me ride it. I was a damn powerful bike for it's time. I'd love to get something like that, maybe for the wife ;)

I am not sure if the record still stands but I believe it was an 87 or 88 FZR 1000 that held the 0-100-0 bike record. Here's pics of it currently.

Sean

Attachments

• FZR1000 Side View.JPG
    FZR1000 Side View.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 56
  • Rear View.JPG
    Rear View.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Right View.JPG
    Right View.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 41
Still looking for an FZR1000? My 88 FZR I sold a couple of years ago is back on the market. Engine ran 10.11 in our drag fazer before we swapped it over. 4" over arm, Kosman rear widened wheel. Very clean. Needs a new front plastic screen. He is asking $3000.

Sean
I picked up the 1995 a couple weeks back, so not really. Sorting out some issues with it but at the price point I bought it and knowing roughly what it needed I am happy with the purchase. The only real problem now is work, and the weather are keeping me from putting some miles on it. I look forward to good weather, and the ability to stuff this thing through some corners. It comes on fairly viciously above 9k.......
Again, not a ZX14 but 1/4 the insurance cost, no payments and I own it outright.

I picked up the 1995 a couple weeks back, so not really. Sorting out some issues with it but at the price point I bought it and knowing roughly what it needed I am happy with the purchase. The only real problem now is work, and the weather are keeping me from putting some miles on it. I look forward to good weather, and the ability to stuff this thing through some corners. It comes on fairly viciously above 9k.......
Again, not a ZX14 but 1/4 the insurance cost, no payments and I own it outright.
Fantastic!!!!! Thursday evening will be a good indication if that seafom proceedure you described in another post will be of benefit to this fine aquisition as well. Fyi, in preparation for the winter months I have completed construction of a wooden sarcophagus so I can store my vmax completely submerged in a rock salt/sand mixture. I figure this will act in a similar manner to a stone age cryogenic chamber and keep my machine corrosion & moisture free.

:pics::party: PLEASE

Fired up the FZR this Sunday but had to work on the truck so I couldn't warm up the tires. Here's some photos from last fall. Had the lower fairings off to do a little work but they are in good shape.

I NEED TO RIDE THIS WEEKEND:damn angry:

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 32
Nice FZR.

Some observations I've made through a few years and 40,000+ miles of ownership:

• carbs - stage I jetting is generally best, retaining the airbox
  • exhaust - leave the EXUP on for best midrange
  • intake valves - watch the clearances. If they become large you can drop a valve.
  • clutch - the basket is not a banded race basket, and there isn't one readily available unless you want to swap in a gearset from a YZF750. The rivets have been known to pull out of the basket and then typically wipe out the bottom end. Check a couple times a year if drag racing.
  • suspension - these bikes were pretty undersprung, and the damping rod forks didn't damp much. A complete swap to a YZF750 front end including wheel makes matters much better. For drag racing you can get by with stiffer springs and straps.
Overall these are really tough bikes as evidenced by the lack of change from 1991 to 1995. The engine was still largely unchanged going into the 1997 YZF1000R. I've enjoyed my 1991 for years and it's still about my favorite bike to ride.

We use the 87/88 FZR1000 engines for our Fazer Conversion Engines. Good power to weight ratio in those bikes. Surprises many sportbikes for sure. I owned a 92 years ago (same time I had the Vmax) and they are great smooth running bikes.

Sean

We use the 87/88 FZR1000 engines for our Fazer Conversion Engines. Good power to weight ratio in those bikes. Surprises many sportbikes for sure. I owned a 92 years ago (same time I had the Vmax) and they are great smooth running bikes.

Sean

Good years to use. Pretty bulletproof, no EXUP, and great power. Those motors respond really well to crankshaft work. It was one of the few changes Yamaha made going into the 97 model year, and contributed to the YZF1000R monster roll on.

Not sure what kind of crank work you mean? Knife edging? Wonder what increases can be found. I just sold/traded my 05 Vmax to the kid that welds for me (Ryan) and taking in his 1986 Drag Fazer we've built over the years. Currently the engine makes 133rwhp and 80+ torque (with stock carbs). It's run as low as a 10.11 with him aboard (lightweight). My best time before the stretch was a 10.80 and I could not keep the front end down.

It's a 1029 Weisco kit, Carrillo Rods, Undercut Trans (tried a 5 and 6 speed and are back to the 5 speed), Lockup Clutch, Stock heads (though I have another set that is ported), stock cams), not sure if the crank was reworked prior to us. We also have a 60 shot of nitrous on it we haven't dynoed yet. We put the 41mm flatslides back on late last year so will be interesting to see if the output changed. We've beat the crap out of that engine (see all the videos on youtube/myspace) and it's only had a trans failure (worn dog).

Trying to get the air shifter working correctly and maybe will get some passes on it this year.

Sean

Not sure what kind of crank work you mean? Knife edging? Wonder what increases can be found. I just sold/traded my 05 Vmax to the kid that welds for me (Ryan) and taking in his 1986 Drag Fazer we've built over the years. Currently the engine makes 133rwhp and 80+ torque (with stock carbs). It's run as low as a 10.11 with him aboard (lightweight). My best time before the stretch was a 10.80 and I could not keep the front end down.

It's a 1029 Weisco kit, Carrillo Rods, Undercut Trans (tried a 5 and 6 speed and are back to the 5 speed), Lockup Clutch, Stock heads (though I have another set that is ported), stock cams), not sure if the crank was reworked prior to us. We also have a 60 shot of nitrous on it we haven't dynoed yet. We put the 41mm flatslides back on late last year so will be interesting to see if the output changed. We've beat the crap out of that engine (see all the videos on youtube/myspace) and it's only had a trans failure (worn dog).

Trying to get the air shifter working correctly and maybe will get some passes on it this year.

Sean

We had APE lighten and balance my crankshaft. It didn't really add much power as much as it quickened how fast the motor spins up. It's deceptively quick.

I thought about the smaller Wiseco kit when we did mine, but we went in the middle with the 1040 kit and cams. Not sure the cams I used would be a good drag race choice though.

You should have fun with the flatslides. I've never had the patience to try to set them up for a road going bike, but I've ridden a few roadrace bikes that they made real improvements on.

If I was to do another FZR motor I'd go with headwork. I had a friend with a GTS1000 with no mods other than headwork and a stage III kit. It would put out about 140 pretty easy, which was just under what I ended up with from doing the over bore and everything else.

Nice FZR.

Some observations I've made through a few years and 40,000+ miles of ownership:

• carbs - stage I jetting is generally best, retaining the airbox
  • exhaust - leave the EXUP on for best midrange
  • intake valves - watch the clearances. If they become large you can drop a valve.
  • clutch - the basket is not a banded race basket, and there isn't one readily available unless you want to swap in a gearset from a YZF750. The rivets have been known to pull out of the basket and then typically wipe out the bottom end. Check a couple times a year if drag racing.
  • suspension - these bikes were pretty undersprung, and the damping rod forks didn't damp much. A complete swap to a YZF750 front end including wheel makes matters much better. For drag racing you can get by with stiffer springs and straps.
Overall these are really tough bikes as evidenced by the lack of change from 1991 to 1995. The engine was still largely unchanged going into the 1997 YZF1000R. I've enjoyed my 1991 for years and it's still about my favorite bike to ride.
Good to have contact with a few people with hands on experience with these machines. Bike had less than 8k on it when I bought it last fall. I need to run it a bit and start playing with suspension settings but have already started to feel comfy stuffing it through corners. At this point I m just wanting it stock and well tuned in sound shape. 100% stock at this point and EXUP intact. I am loving the stock exhaust for stealth reasons and its plenty strong to get my jollies on the street. Anyone know if these things use the same valve shims as the VMAX? What year YZF750 front end are you taking about?
Interesting comment about intake valve clearance, what causes that condition to lead to dropped valves? I would expect weak springs to be a culprit for sucking a valve.....

I know the 87/88 engines use a very unique shim that doesn't fit any other model out there. I am pretty confident that the newer engines used a shim under bucket setup (probably either 7.5mm or 9.5mm shim) so not the same as the vmax either and a shit ton hard to change.

Sean

Back