Game time....it's an easy one!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a winner!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Congrats to Mr. Morley!! :punk:

He is absolutely correct....the venerable Vincent Black Shadow. BTW, it's registered for 150 mph!!

Attachments

• 100_2990.jpg
    100_2990.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 43
I'm ashamed, but guessed English, at least
confused24.gif

Can you imagine doing 150mph on something like that!? Talk about frame/suspension/tires wobbles..

And then you gotta try to stop!! Ah, drum brakes..

The tell (for me) was the forks.

For those who don't know, the Vincent Black Shadow held the title World's Fastest Production Motorcycle from 1949 to 1973. It would run 125 mph in stock form, and in modified form it did over 150 mph ridden by Rollie Free, who was the subject of the iconic photo:

Rollie_Free2C_record_run.jpg

The Black Shadow's mark was not eclipsed until 1973, by the mighty Kawasaki Z1.

Kawasaki+Z1+900+Super+Four+1973+by+AUTOart+03.jpg

The tell (for me) was the forks.

For those who don't know, the Vincent Black Shadow held the title World's Fastest Production Motorcycle from 1949 to 1973. It would run 125 mph in stock form, and in modified form it did over 150 mph ridden by Rollie Free, who was the subject of the iconic photo:

Rollie_Free2C_record_run.jpg

The Black Shadow's mark was not eclipsed until 1973, by the mighty Kawasaki Z1.

Kawasaki+Z1+900+Super+Four+1973+by+AUTOart+03.jpg

Cool info Klatuu....thanks for that! A buddy of mine had one of those 900 Kaw's....fast bikes! :punk:

I had a '74 Kaw Z1A . Not only fast ( like the Max ) , but scary too , ( like the Max ) . Stock form , didn't like the twisties or stopping.

Noticing a pattern here , need to get some help. :rofl_200:

It echoed cars of the era as well....shove as much horsepower in an existing chassis as possible. Nobody really paid much attention to handling or braking in Detroit either.

OK, I didn't look beyond the 1st response, Vincent twin, need to see more to see if it's a Shadow or Lightning, "Black," that is.

Just went back to the responses & saw Sean got it. Remarks about the Shadow hitting 150 are a wee-bit 'presumptuous,' as one might say. The Rollie Free bike was about as-stock as the Jay Gleason VMax in '85.

Here's a shot of a Vincent owned by an acquaintance in Ft. Lauderdale, this guy's collection probably rivals many private collections anywhere. He has two retired Yamaha factory mechanics that maintain the bikes & cars. Another of my friends is a parts-hound for him, sourcing new acquisitions & parts.

I am also including a pic of another British bike, what is this one? :biglaugh:

And just for fun, who owned the company that made this car, and what was its frequent powerplant?

Attachments

• 2011 Boca Raton Concours 018.JPG
    2011 Boca Raton Concours 018.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2011 Boca Raton Concours 015.jpg
    2011 Boca Raton Concours 015.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2011 Boca Raton Concours 134.jpg
    2011 Boca Raton Concours 134.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
I would have thought the H2 Kawi 750 tripple held the spot until the ZL900 arrived..............Tom.

Bugger, too late in seeing this, I knew it ws a Vincent....one of my lottery bikes....

Rollie got them!

Sidney Allard had the $$ to make those cars & delighted in using American iron to defeat the Europeans. Briggs Cunningham did the same thing, for the same reason. That Allard had a Cadillac w/two four bbl. carbs.

Latest posts

Back