Gap on bar for aftermarket grips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZackDaniels

Reaction score
So I got some driven grips for xmas and thought, rather than get the driven bar ends to match I'll take it up a notch and get these things instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046JQN52/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I took both the stock grips off without much trouble. Just worked it around with a screwdriver then pulled until I got a big enough gap near the housing. From there they pretty much just pushed right off. Easy stuff.

With the use of some hairspray I snugged the driven on the left bar, and when I slid the LED bar end on I saw a pretty immediate problem. There's a 1" gap of handlebar there...

So I put the stocks in place and there's a gap for those too. Are driven bar ends deeper? Any suggestions on how to fill the space? I figure I can always muscle off the driven grip and slide the clutch housing down the bar a bit, but I'm kind of boned for the throttle side aren't I?

Picks to show the gap I'm dealing with on the LED and stock bar ends.

Attachments

• Driven-With-LEDEnd.jpg
    Driven-With-LEDEnd.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Driven-With-StockEnd.jpg
    Driven-With-StockEnd.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 51
Slide the left side grip flush to with the bar end and move the controls over to touch the grip.

On the throttle side cut the plastic throttle tube so that it does not extend past the grip and slide the whole assembly over to the end the bar.

The stockers have a chrome cover that goes over that section near the cable housing. I reused mine when I put new grips on.
IMG_2781.jpg
EDIT: Opps, wrong end of the bar! Mike has it right for the outside end of the bar.

Slide the left side grip flush to with the bar end and move the controls over to touch the grip.

On the throttle side cut the plastic throttle tube so that it does not extend past the grip and slide the whole assembly over to the end the bar.

Yeah I guess I could cut the throttle tube to duplicate on the right side. I don't like modding to a point where it can't be reverted, but I was fine with drilling a hole in the handlebars for these LED lights so whatever I guess.

The stockers have a chrome cover that goes over that section near the cable housing. I reused mine when I put new grips on.
View attachment 33463

I thought about this too, but the driven grips are too narrow to fit inside the stock cover. I'd have to cut the cover or cut the grip's hole bigger.

Any thoughts on plastic spacers or washers that might be of any use? I kind of like the idea of moving the housing though now that I think about it a little... it would also solve the problem of the stock mirrors being just a little too narrow and offering a view of my shoulders instead of the guy pulling into my ass.

I wouldn't worry about cutting the throttle tube. It a $15 part to replace if you want to go back to being "unmodified" and even if you were to put stock grips back on, you could use the shorter tube, its not going to hurt anything.

I did the exact thing that I mentioned to my bike. My OEM bar ends kept falling out. I decided to replace with bar end mirrors and found the same problem you did. I think cutting the tube and sliding everything to the ends looks a lot better than messing around with spacers or pieces of other grips but that is JMO.

Yeah I'm liking that idea more and more. The little LED ends don't have anything holding them in the bar except for the wires that I'll run through and snug up to a drilled out hole in the handlebars. So I can bring the grip right to the end of the bar and leave no space for an overlap.

It's going to sort of suck to push it all back up a little to fit a different end cap should I decide the LED things are cheap crap, but it maximizes how far out I'll have my mirror stems and hands which I'll rather like.

Thanks man. Other ideas still very welcome, but I'm thinking that's the winner.

It's going to sort of suck to push it all back up a little to fit a different end cap should I decide the LED things are cheap crap

Once complete, moving the throttle side is just a matter of loosening 2 screws. Everything will slide.

The clutch slide will be two screws for the controls and then sliding the grip around. I try not to get crazy with grip glue so they can be removed and reused without damage. I usually just use a couple drops of rubber adhesive.

SAM_1015.jpg

SAM_1017.jpg

I had same problem just move everything over . Just need to install bar end mirrors once bikes out of house to het threw door way lol.

Once complete, moving the throttle side is just a matter of loosening 2 screws. Everything will slide.

The clutch slide will be two screws for the controls and then sliding the grip around. I try not to get crazy with grip glue so they can be removed and reused without damage. I usually just use a couple drops of rubber adhesive.

I use hairspray lol. Helps slide the grip on real easy and then sticks very well. It smells nice for the first 50 miles or so too!

Sliding the grip around again was the bit that I was dreading really. The controls are no big deal, as you've stated it's just loosening a couple fasteners per side.

I ordered grips but they went for bar end mirrors so I took parts from 3 different sets n come up w them.

View attachment 33471

View attachment 33472

I had same problem just move everything over . Just need to install bar end mirrors once bikes out of house to het threw door way lol.
Looks great NHV! Especially love the grips, same as mine great feel and grip.

I with you on that Mike, my clutch grip will slip a little when it's been ridden/ sits in the rain for a long time. My bar ends prevent any issue with it coming off.

Using the stock chrome adapter on the inside of the throttle took away some real estate from my hands but they "just" fit with my bar end mirrors.

So I relocated the ends down the bar on either side. Used a tube cutter to make short work of the throttle tube, but on the handlebars themselves there's a little bump welded on to the bars as something to help hold the throttle housing in place.

#1 : Is it fine to just not use that notch and rely solely on the 2-screw clamping power to hold it still? I assume it's not there on all the aftermarket bars which do just fine.

#2 : It's really in my way for where I want the housing to be located. I'm planning to remove the bars and drop them into a clamp then grind it off. Any tips/alternate suggestions?

Removing the nub will work just fine. The OEM bar is the only one with it (for quick location and orientation during assembly).

Sean

There is no nub on my Flanders bar and it has worked fine for over 3 years. I love having the 31.5" bars, helps with mirrors and extra leverage.

Thanks for the peace of mind fellas. I've got the bars off and am heading over to a friends house to drop them in a vice and grind the nub off.

I'm also going to be drilling a hole in the bottom center of the bars for those LED bar ends. Any ideas on what I should use as a gasket for said hole? It's just to run some wires through for the ends so I was figuring I'd just epoxy it closed once I have those through it. Paranoid about moisture getting in there and rusting the bars out from the inside.

Thanks for the peace of mind fellas. I've got the bars off and am heading over to a friends house to drop them in a vice and grind the nub off.

I'm also going to be drilling a hole in the bottom center of the bars for those LED bar ends. Any ideas on what I should use as a gasket for said hole? It's just to run some wires through for the ends so I was figuring I'd just epoxy it closed once I have those through it. Paranoid about moisture getting in there and rusting the bars out from the inside.

I'd would pick up a grommet from the hardware store and install in the hole to make sure the wires don't get cut. I would just seal the hole off with some silicone caulk. Easily removable if needed and will keep the water out. I doubt you would get much in there either way. If you drill the hole in the right spot, it should be in the lowest point of the bar and it could not hold water, it would drain right out.

Thanks, I'll do just that. I'm not overly worried about water that collects enough to drain. It's the humidity in the air and stuff collecting and forming dew in there that I'm worried over.

The hole will be drilled dead center and at the bottom/lowest point. That's for draining but more so because that's where the mount/riser won't be blocking my freshly run wires.

Back