Garage exhaust ventilation system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenuwlijer

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying and installing an exhaust ventilation system in my garage, so I don't have to move the bike outside whenever I need to start the bike and / or let it reach operating temperature.

Those systems though... will cost you an arm & leg, your left kidney and your right index finger. 🥵

So obviously I went looking on YouTube for some DIY solutions.

This seems like a very nice setup:

(Personally I'd swap the hoses for some good quality aluminium ones.)

(It would make sense to place a carbon monoxide detector as well.)

Any thoughts on this DIY setup? Safety concerns?

Last edited:
Whist I appreciate that it can get very cold in the winter months in the Netherlands why can't you just leave the door open?
If it is too cold to do that then I'd be inclined to put the job of for another day.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with the system but without knowing what the flow capacity of the extractor is against what comes out of the motor it is difficult to say how effective it would be.

IMO the main concern would be as a trip hazard!

Running any sort of system that contains carbon monoxide among other things right through the heart of your house is NOT my idea of a good idea.

The potential damage is death.

The only upside is not getting cold while you tune the bike.

No way on earth I'd even attempt that given the extremes. I'd buy a small shed and put it out in the little yard you have there before I did something like that.

One of my friends lost his young adult daughter to CO poisoning. He was a LEO here in so. FL and the funeral was a very-sad affair. Choose another method of venting the fumes (open door to the outside), or move the bike outdoors during running-time.

Here's my fume extracting system. Shortly before we sold our welding business in 2012 our HSE mgr decided we needed an expensive system to remove welding fumes from the pipe shop.

When we sold the business and later on the building this system was installed in the buyer converted it to rental storage units and gutted the bldg wall to wall, floor to ceiling and let us have whatever we wanted. I had a hayday on Craigslist selling all sorts of stuff for 2 months and received only lowball offers for the extractor so I threw it behind my home shop.

Last year I added 42 ft to my shop, scavenged a few missing items on FleeBay and got this up for a few hundred bucks. It covers most of the main welding area. Vmax fumes, bring 'em on !!

20210808_114445.jpg

Latest posts

Back