Garage Floor Finishes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
These days there are lots of options with regard to finishes on garage or shop floors. Dirt, raw concrete, painted concrete, or any number of epoxy coatings. I really liked the speckled epoxy coating on the floor of my shop when we bought the place. It cleans up easily and it presents well.

But I hate it.

Why? Because anything, and I mean just about anything that I drop on this floor instantly disappears. I know what you’re thinking, that’s the case with just about any shop floor. But let me tell you, the speckled finish camouflages just about any object. Nuts, bolts, washers, O-rings. You name it. It disappears.

I hate it. If I had it to do over again, I’d get a solid color.63368613-C20D-4D98-9211-427B1FE72EE9.jpegA8398BE4-8155-400B-83D4-B2C36072A56A.jpeg

It sure looks nice though, mine is in need of some type of coating. I used to paint it or stain it, not sure what the stuff was but it was plain gray. This is my garage/shop 95D64F32-2BFE-4D6E-B4F5-3BEDD7C837E2.png

Yeah, that floor is bad, I mean if you had a major ant invasion, you wouldn't be able to see them unless they were moving.

Trust me, even with a single coloured floor, nuts, circlip, washers and other smaller items have an uncanny ability to vanish.

I'm sure most of you know that as soon as that wee part disappears, it will always reappear as soon as you go buy another one. I think I have this problem solved. When it happens, I announce in a loud voice, "Well, I guess that is gone. I better go buy another one." Then I get in the truck, pull out and drive around the block. I come back with a small empty paper sack in my hand (that I keep in the truck just for this purpose), walk into the shop and guess what, the one I lost is right there! Works every time. Almost. Well, maybe. :rolleyes:

I have the same floor and the same problem. In addition to losing parts, this finish is pretty slippery from the final coat of clear epoxy. I almost lost a bike while rolling them back in after the finish was cured. It was winter and the tread picked up a little snow in the driveway. After that incident I'm super careful anytime I'm rolling bikes around or driving in / out just in case there's water I don't know about. I fixed the lost parts problem by just not dropping them, LOL. The finish is beautiful but if you're thinking of an epoxy floor, keep this in mind and have lots of sand added in the final coat.

20210219_203728.jpg

Back