Garage made Highbars/crash bars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gennro

Reaction score
Well here is my latest project. Just fabbed up some highway bars/crash bars for the v-max. Didn't feel like paying 120+ for some bars so I figured I would buy me a new drill press for that and some metal and make my own.

Put a little grip tape on them to keep my feet from sliding off while riding down the road.

IMG_20110611_114755.jpg

IMG_20110611_114802.jpg

IMG_20110611_114808.jpg

Thanks, well it wasn't the best weld cause the steel pipe I used for the foot part wasn't the best steel so ti didn't weld worth a shit.

Looks huge in the pic , does it affect your turning / lean angles ?

I'm not a huge leaner. Its not what the bike was made for anyways. But you would have to get pretty far over for these pegs to hit the ground. Much farther then I'll ever go. If wanted to go that far I would buy a sport bike.

I'm not a huge leaner. Its not what the bike was made for anyways. But you would have to get pretty far over for these pegs to hit the ground. Much farther then I'll ever go. If wanted to go that far I would buy a sport bike.

Sometimes you don't have a choice.
Good to know how far over it will go .

:punk:

Attachments

• kneedown1.jpg
    kneedown1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 62
  • kneedown.jpg
    kneedown.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 75
They look good,

is there any way to cut them back and mount a spring loaded peg on the end?

Yeah that wouldn't be hard at all if someone wanted something they could lean over farther. Really if I wanted to could of made them up higher.

It's going to cause you a crash. It's far lower then you can get away with. The lean doesn't have to be as far as you might think by the time you could various road conditions as well as suspension compression.

Other then that it looks well assembled.

Sean

It's going to cause you a crash. It's far lower then you can get away with. The lean doesn't have to be as far as you might think by the time you could various road conditions as well as suspension compression.

Other then that it looks well assembled.

Sean

Ditto, from a peg length it should be hinged for any mishaps whereby that portion will fold under contact before the rest of the fitting starts protecting the engine at which angle the bike is already sliding.
That setup could be disastrous if the bike went down for any reason even if it wasn't the cause of the accident because when it does hit the bike will either bite the pavement suddenly to a complete abrupt stop which could be horrible or it will do a pirouette flinging the rider like a slingshot.
All will have an "ouch" outcome.

Good effort though, IMO just needs to modified.

Last edited:
Ditto, from a peg length it should be hinged for any mishaps whereby that portion will fold under contact before the rest of the fitting starts protecting the engine at which angle the bike is already sliding.
That setup could be disastrous if the bike went down for any reason even if it wasn't the cause of the accident because when it does hit the bike will either bite the pavement suddenly to a complete abrupt stop which could be horrible or it will do a pirouette flinging the rider like a slingshot.
All will have an "ouch" outcome.

Good effort though, IMO just needs to modified.

....... just add wheels to each end ......... :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I like them but would mirror what has been said before. Just because you don't lean the bike doesn't mean that sooner or later you might find an offset curve on rough pavement and end up digging in. And like has been said before, if the bike goes down for any reason they'll cause a major problem. Hate to see you get hurt when it looks like a somewhat easy fix.

Well if thats what you guys think then I'll take some spring loaded pegs and cut what I have short and put those on the end then. If you think that would be a lot safer?

Well if thats what you guys think then I'll take some spring loaded pegs and cut what I have short and put those on the end then. If you think that would be a lot safer?

definitely man i have to agree with them.

can i also recommend that there be some 'give' to the setup. let me explain, if the bike goes down you want those brackets to give a bit so they bend and not the frame. i remember someone saying on here a while back that they had too strong of ones on and it bent the frame but saved the engine, i'd think you'd want to save both. buddy of mine just went down with the oem frame guards and there are no obvious frame bends where they bolt on...

just a thought.

otherwise, excellent work!

I do understand that. I have grade 5 bolts holding the guards on so if it hits hard enough it will snap or stretch the bolt and the pegs are soft so should take most of the impact.

I have the new modified guards on now with some passenger fold up pegs now. So when ya want to get some lean you can fold the pegs up with your feet. I'll post some pics up soon enough.

If I have enough interest and after some tweaking I may offer up to make these. For now though I want to get some miles on them and try them out before I would offer them to anyone else.

Could just be my computer here at the station but no pics visible.

Latest posts

Back