Gary McCoy at University Motors, ND

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard that he got fired recently. Rumor is that the owner didn't like the discounts he was giving.

Bullshit IMHO.

I just spoke to him on Thursday about a order, so if he got fired, it just happened. That will stink if my order gets canceled. I will call first thing Monday morning to find out what is going on.

When did you hear that he was fired?

If this is true, that is total BS!!! I will post up as soon as I find out Monday morning. It's going to be a long wait until then!:bang head:

Wow, that would be bad news, he is great to work with. I just ordered off of him last week.

Well, I can check with our new Yamaha dealer and see what I can negotiate. He has expressed an interest in helping me before. I will go visit and see just how interested.

Sean Morley

Well, it's true. Sometime between when I spoke with him on Thursday and Saturday his employment with U Motors came to an end. They said they will still do the VMOA discount, but I did not have the time to go through the order I was working on with Gary to see how their prices compared with the ones he'd worked up for me. This was the first time I was going to use U Motors and it may be the last time. Anyone ever use K&N?

My best guess would be that Gary was making desent money and the new owner has somebody in the family that is going to take over that job.Probably even had Gary train them first.

When I had heard U/Motors was up for sale I talked with Gary about it.It's too bad that he didn't or couldn't but it.

The older experienced ones seem to be the first to go instead of the idiots that do not have a clue and work for peanuts.

My best guess would be that Gary was making desent money and the new owner has somebody in the family that is going to take over that job.Probably even had Gary train them first.

When I had heard U/Motors was up for sale I talked with Gary about it.It's too bad that he didn't or couldn't but it.

The older experienced ones seem to be the first to go instead of the idiots that do not have a clue and work for peanuts.

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm. Back in the late 80's to early 90's I worked for ARCO in Anchorage.

I was in central CADD services. we did all the drawings and mapping for the north slope oil fields under ARCO control. Then we thought (or should I say led to believe) we were going to get help from VECO contract Draftsmen during a busy part of the year.

Turns out we trained our replacements, who were working for considerably less then we the ARCO direct employees.

Needless to say, handshakes and severence checks were handed out. there were employees that were approaching anywhere from 15 to 20 years with the company. about a year later ARCO was bought out of the state to another company. but that's big oil for ya.

I'm thinking the "under new management" has the same train of thought and some of the good people that work there, that have taken the time to build a positive reputaion for dealing with people,are going to take it in the shorts. Now the riders are going to have to deal with so and so's son, or "My wifes brother Eddie" who have no clue whats going on.

The key word there shawn is "work for peanuts"

unfortunately It's all about the money...

What about the rumour he was let go because the owners didn't like the discount he was giving us? Is this true?

I doubt that is the reason as the new owners had already changed the discount from 15% over cost to 30% anyway.

This happened to a Honda/Yamaha dealership here that I purchased 8 bikes from in the 70's and 80's. The new owners put family in all the positions and fired all the employees I had dealt with for years. They went out of business within 3 years. Couldn't even sell the shop as no one would buy it because of the reputation. Just closed it down and it became a city bus repair facility.

Some people never learn...

OK, got us setup for an even better discount then U-motors gave us.

I will be posting a thread in a little bit with more info. Buster can make it a sticky too if he wants.

Sean Morley

Back