Gas coming from hose under cowl

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy1ear

Reaction score
This is the 3rd time this has happened. Took it to shop near me and they rebuilt all 4 carbs. Took it back when it happened the first time, but it quit leaking before I got it in and they did nothing. When it happened again They said it was bad fuel, showed me the dirty gas, told me to stop buying bad gas and charged me a lot of money.
Happened again today, same carb all three times. Was going to drain the bowls but the drain tubes are missing. Anyone know what size they are? Do not want to spend $30 for some short pieces of fuel line.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, bad gas will cause a leak under that cowl every time. [/sarcasm] I'm not sure exactly where you are saying you have a leak at? But if bad gas leaks there, good gas should be leaking too.

I'm guessing her but aside from finding someone else to work on your bike next time, I'd think 1/8" black gas line tubing would fit.

This is the 3rd time this has happened. Took it to shop near me and they rebuilt all 4 carbs. Took it back when it happened the first time, but it quit leaking before I got it in and they did nothing. When it happened again They said it was bad fuel, showed me the dirty gas, told me to stop buying bad gas and charged me a lot of money.
Happened again today, same carb all three times. Was going to drain the bowls but the drain tubes are missing. Anyone know what size they are? Do not want to spend $30 for some short pieces of fuel line.

Thanks in advance.

You may have a junk in your tank. My experience with the fuel puking is a stuck float ( happened this weekend). All of a sudden I the bike starts bogging and my foot is getting wet.... I just pull of the road and drain down the offending carb, tap it and let the pump re-fill it. Normally this solves it. In my case, I think I have some dirt in my tank and every now and then it prevents the float from closing and stopping the bowl from filling. In order to isolate the problem in situ, I use a clear float bowl drain tubes left long. You can just tuck them up vertically. This way, you can open the float bowl drain screws and see which bowl is over full, make sense?

Look close at the below pics and you can see what my float bowl drain lines do:

Check the gas tank for rust, Carb drain screws maybe pass gas or floats sticking. When my floats are sticking this what I do sometimes and try to clean the carbs out. These me mind you.

I add wd40 through the vent hoses and let them soak a little. When you no have the wd40 in the bowls the motor slowly start to idle down some. Then drain them this works for me.

Attachments

• P1050902.jpg
    P1050902.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 39
wd40 thing looks easy. Will try next time. Seems to happen on same carb every time so i think there is a problem other than crud in the gas.

Opted to take it to a different shop, did not feel like doing it myself, need the fancy 4x flowmeter to sync.
They found the float valve seat to be distorted. Bought a kit and rebuilt the carb. Drove home without any problems. Time will tell.
They said that it did not appear to have been rebuilt recently. That made me feel really good about the money I have given to the other shop.
The shop is on FM 1960 just outside of Houston. IM me if you need the name.

You may have a junk in your tank. My experience with the fuel puking is a stuck float ( happened this weekend). All of a sudden I the bike starts bogging and my foot is getting wet.... I just pull of the road and drain down the offending carb, tap it and let the pump re-fill it. Normally this solves it. In my case, I think I have some dirt in my tank and every now and then it prevents the float from closing and stopping the bowl from filling. In order to isolate the problem in situ, I use a clear float bowl drain tubes left long. You can just tuck them up vertically. This way, you can open the float bowl drain screws and see which bowl is over full, make sense?

Look close at the below pics and you can see what my float bowl drain lines do:

Neat trick, Dave! Most often, the simplest solutions are the best ones!

Oh, and Billy.......sorry about that ear thing.
Cheers!

Back