gas/fuel/petrol mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Low Fuel Average

thanks all for the comments.

if i get the clymers handbook does that explain the procedure...

I am mechanically adept and do a lot of the stuff on my other bike....a Norton Dominator from 1957.

But thats another area and a far less complex beast.

I made a thread, with pictures, of carb removal, opening the bowls and the jet locations. It is somewhere under the Carb forum, I'm just too lazy at the moment to find it! LOL.

Re: Low Fuel Average

Yep, it shows step by step how to remove the carbs. From there, just flip 'em upside down and set on top of frame where your air box was. Remove the brass hex plugs and then you have access to the main jets. Loosen the main jet and then use a toothpick to remove it. Be careful here. If you drop it in the float bowl you have to remove the cover to get it out. Make sure the jet is tight on the toothpick.

Mark

"Be careful here. If you drop it in the float bowl you have to remove the cover to get it out"

Be really careful here, if you drop it PAST the carb and down into the intake manifold you'll hate yourself. I did something similiar on a fresh built small block chevy back when I was in High School and ended up having to pull the head to retreive a 1/4-20 nut that got past an open intake valve.:bang head:

The second you pull the carbs stuffing rags down in the intakes manifolds is an excellent idea:banana:

It is a fairly easy job tho'

Rusty

my gas milage sucks

finally went thru my first tank of gas not sure exactly what the milage is but mostly in town. the tank :th_signs60:before gas was stale put a little gumout in it also . 80 miles the fuel light came on and i havnt ran it hard . how many miles is average till the fuel light comes on ? can only imagine if i ran it hard.hopefully a bit better this tank without any addiitives or stale gas .

Re: my gas milage sucks

Are you running bone stock or do you have some mods on it, if so what mods?
I get about 100 to 112 on mine and I have Cobra slip-on exhaust and I dropped the main fuel jet down from 152.5 to 147.5 and I also have Dynojet Needles. Other than that, mine is stock on the engine side engine side. I think the average for bone stock is about 32-36 mpg. I'm getting about 38-40.

You may need to have the carbs synched. I had to mess around with mine alot when I bought it as the guy I bought it from messed with the jets and screwed them all up.
I had to buy all new Pilot Air and Fuel jets and Main Fuel Jets and tune the Pilot Mixture screws because he had made mine run way too rich.

im about 80 miles before light comes on..and at that time its probably 3 gallons..half highway half city...when i was breaking in the bike was getting 100 mile befroe light...in my case i think the cooler weather is getting less gas milage

I always get 110 miles before the light comes on. Running hard and riding like I just stole it drops it to 100.

My light comes on at about 95 miles. Only mods are drilled exhaust & needles shimmed .040". No long distance for me - all urban WFO most of the time.

mine is a 2002 with 24,000 mi. no air box just 4 k&n's sitting on the cabs , stock pipes with the stock cans drilled and tboost. all done by the guy befor me so im not sure about the jets. the bikes fast as hell , way faster than the 89 i had. my light comes on at about 100 mi. if i pull into the first gas place i see it takes 2.9 gal to fill it back up , so im guessing i get 130 to 140m to a tank. i live in az and its hot and dry all the time. have your bike jetted and tuned for the weather you ride in. 80m to the light seems to be on the low end. my gues is the cold air temp.

bike isnt stock set up stage 1 k@n in stock box with y removed kerker no baffle just the end cap 165 mains . carbs were sync. less then 500 miles ago when tnt did the work and dyno. its a 99 just turned 10k makes great power 124.4 rwhp 84 torque . i figured it should be about 100 miles or so there was still about 4 10ths of a gal of stale gas in it. wasnt varnish just didnt idle right . when i filled it that might have something to do with it

bike isnt stock set up stage 1 k@n in stock box with y removed kerker no baffle just the end cap 165 mains . carbs were sync. less then 500 miles ago when tnt did the work and dyno. its a 99 just turned 10k makes great power 124.4 rwhp 84 torque . i figured it should be about 100 miles or so there was still about 4 10ths of a gal of stale gas in it. wasnt varnish just didnt idle right . when i filled it that might have something to do with it

You might want to give it a seafoam treatment, to help move things along.

On paper, where you right on or running fat?

My guess is with the airbox modified and a kerker with no baffle, the fuel and air mixture is going to run through your Max like shit through a goose. Therefore your going to be on the low end of the miles per tank scale.
Welcome to the wonderful world Of VMAXDOM.

You didn't buy the VMax for it's fuel economy, did you? I hope not!

funny you should ask i kinda did buy it for gas mileage my car gets 8 my supercharged pu truck gets 15 but its close to double what im used to . but if i really need gas milge i can jump on my little 750 . but gas mileage really isnt an issue just wanted to compare it to others. i think it will do better just the roll on power is addicting and my neighbors dont like me going to work at 5 in the am lol

I avg 27 MPG riding hard most of the time. Setup 85 eng, stage 7, 165 mains, indv air filters, kerker with a 2.5 baffle.

My '92 is completely stock and during normal riding I avg about 33 mpg. I tried to max the fuel milage (not near as fun) and I got 38 - 39 mpg, if I remember it right. I drive a ful size GMC w/ a 5.7 L motor so the Vmax is better mpg and waaaaay more fun!:punk:

Last edited:
I can go about 120+ miles before reserve light. How I ride and fresh plugs seem to make a difference. I got less than 4.0 gal capacity in my tank because I treated it with Kream. FDD

mine is a 2002 with 24,000 mi. no air box just 4 k&n's sitting on the cabs , stock pipes with the stock cans drilled and tboost. all done by the guy befor me so im not sure about the jets. the bikes fast as hell , way faster than the 89 i had. my light comes on at about 100 mi. if i pull into the first gas place i see it takes 2.9 gal to fill it back up , so im guessing i get 130 to 140m to a tank. i live in az and its hot and dry all the time. have your bike jetted and tuned for the weather you ride in. 80m to the light seems to be on the low end. my gues is the cold air temp.
can you run the individual K&N air filters on a stock setup?
If so....where should your fuel/air screws be set at?

filled gas on center stand ill know if that helped milage with extra fuel needed gas this morning at 78 miles took a hair over 3 gallons ill know this after noon if milage is different ....been taking the same roads most of the time...also been riding in 40 deg temps dont think that helps gas milage

filled gas on center stand ill know if that helped milage with extra fuel needed gas this morning at 78 miles took a hair over 3 gallons ill know this after noon if milage is different ....been taking the same roads most of the time...also been riding in 40 deg temps dont think that helps gas milage
ended my day with 88 miles and no fuel light. last couple of fill up been fueling on side stand this time fueled on center stand up to bottom of neck..1/2 the milage was on the highway 80 to 95 mph..other half on side roads with speed limits of 45 ..most of the time 50 60 mph.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back