Gas in Airbox

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apowell0224

Reaction score
Hey all,
Haven't had the chance to introduce myself or anything but I've been slowly going over old threads and soaking up as much information as possible from pretty much anywhere its available.
I picked up an 07 with 3800 miles a few weeks back and it ran rough at idle and at about 3500-4500 rpms.
So progress from there, i did a shotgun and synced the carbs.
Seems to run a little smoother, but still has that rough sounding firing sequence a up around 4k rpms.
I chalked it up to the mixture screw needing a tune (got a colorsync to help with that but still need to use it).
But when i took off the airbox when changing out to a set of cops i noticed a little fuel dripping out.
Only other thing I've done since the shotgun was replace the fuel filter, drain all gas out and replace with 93 and a little sea foam.
Further info, the mixture screws were all about 4-4.25 turns out, has supertrapp slip ons, and unsure about a jet kit installed, though it did have a K&N oem shape filter in.
Just waiting on the jet kit from Sean to change over to a kerker 4-2-1 + baffle system
Wondering if there's anything i should be on the lookout for pertaining to the gas in the airbox.
Maybe turn the mixture screws back to oem and adjust from there?
Thanks for all the help in advance.

Welcome, +4 turns out is too much IMO. Try 2 1/2 and adjust as needed a 1/2 turn in either direction. Factory setting is done with a CO meter and they aren't necessarily equal. Keep in mind the A/F screws will effect the engine other than at idle. An intake and V-boost rubber boot inspection & testing isn't a bad idea. If it were me, I'd straighten out any issues before doing a carb kit/ full exhaust install.
Steve-o

What he said above.

I believe 4k is about when the needles start to lift out of the emulsion tubes and the main jets start doing their thing, I had quite a wicked stumble at 4k and the culprit was main jets about 4 sizes to big for my setup and elevation. I was also encouraged to sort through other possible issues on the bike before doing the final jetting, it was time well spent.

I understand that one size larger idle jet if the AF screws are over 4 turns out to get her sorted, I've also read 5 turns somewhere but that just sounds awful damn excessive to me. Mine are 2.25-2.75 turns out and it's about perfect, it had the wrong size low speed jets in it when I got it too, going back to stock in my case really sorted some things out. I dont own or have access to exh sniffing equipment so I did it old school by ear, then fine tweaking during test ride.

I'm still a junior tuner and all I know I learned here, but this was consistent with my experience. I hope some part of this may help. Have a great Tday.

Latest posts

Back