Gas Leak (Non VMAX) Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
My son got his first bike, a used 1997 suzuku katana 600. One of the things we did to get it ready for the road is to seal the gas tank (POR). Once we got everything back together we noticed a small gas leak coming from the drain where the sending unit to the fuel gauge is. I order new rubber gaskets and replaced everything and we still have a leak. We'd like to just get rid of the sending unit altogether but we're not sure how to go about sealing up the opening in the tank. Any thought would be helpful. (yes the bike is parked outside now)

If you want rid of the sending unit, get some steel flat bar stock, 1/8" might be overkill, but it's such a small piece, you're not bolting-on a 1 lb + weight.

See what width will work to give you good sealing, I'm thinking 1-1/2" should be plenty big. So you'll probably end up with a piece with about 1/2" larger than the hole all-around, including the bolt holes. If I'm wrong about the size of the opening, just get a steel sheet able to cover the opening and bolt holes, smear some permatex gasket sealer on it, and snug the bolts up. Let it dry 24 hours or whatever the tube's directions are before you add gas. You could also get some gasket material, and use that instead of the permatex. A drop of medium thread sealant (blue) would give you peace of mind about keeping the bolts from vibrating-out.

I like the brazing/welding fix, if the sending unit is going away forever. Is gas leaking through that sender? Just a thought. I also was wondering if the threads got coated? Maybe clean the threads up, and some gas proof sealer. I haven't had good luck with teflon tape and gas. The teflon tape is really made more to seal non-solvent liquids.
Steve-o

I had a new petcock leak that I put on my Harley Ironhead. The solution was the paste type . This was a last ditch try as I had used tape several tries earlier. I think the paste will fix it and keep your fuel sending unit.
Stan

Back