Gas shooting out into the left scoop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a strange one here. I haven't been riding my max a lot this year, but she's been out about once every few weeks. I just added some seafoam to the tank and wanted to make sure it made it's way into the carbs before covering her for the colder weather. I started the bike up, she was running fine, I let her idle for a bit, and then out of nowhere gas started flowing from the left scoop. Now, I'm not a carb guy, I know the basics (float bowl fills up, vac pulls gas to the engine, etc). I had a busy day ahead since we had cement that needed poured, and I had other jobs that had to happen, so I just shut her down, hozed off the excess fuel, and called it a day. But now I'm wondering what I'm going to get into when I start hunting. I'm hoping it's just a fuel line that split or popped off, but I was wondering if anyone here had something like this.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Most likely a stuck float and fuel is coming out the vent tubes that run up to the sides of the airbox.
Pull the faux tank off and check to see if fuel is coming from one of those tubes.
If so, a little tap on the side of the carb may alleviate the issues.

Most likely a stuck float and fuel is coming out the vent tubes that run up to the sides of the airbox.
Pull the faux tank off and check to see if fuel is coming from one of those tubes.
If so, a little tap on the side of the carb may alleviate the issues.
Man, if it's that easy, I'm going to be one happy camper. I'll let you know.

It could require a teardown and clean up or, needle replacement, needle/seat replacement, tank coating, etc....
Let's just hope a wrap on the bowl will do the trick!

You could be facing this:
(attachment)

Actually, removing the gas tank isn't that-big of a chore, it's easiest when you remove the rear wheel and the left shock's top mount. You can leave the bottom shock mount on, just loosened, and you swing it backwards, out of the way. With the left removable frame member that holds the left footpeg and regulator/rectifier (which can stay plugged-in) removed, you have plenty of room to pull the tank. Buster had a sticky on it (tank removal). https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-remove-the-gas-tank.9885/ Looks like the pics are gone, part of the photobucket dilemma. You should be able to follow the directions, it's straightforward.

Attachments

• gas tank reserve gas sender hole.jpg
    gas tank reserve gas sender hole.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 7
You could be facing this:
(attachment)

Actually, removing the gas tank isn't that-big of a chore, it's easiest when you remove the rear wheel and the left shock's top mount. You can leave the bottom shock mount on, just loosened, and you swing it backwards, out of the way. With the left removable frame member that holds the left footpeg and regulator/rectifier (which can stay plugged-in) removed, you have plenty of room to pull the tank. Buster had a sticky on it (tank removal). https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-remove-the-gas-tank.9885/ Looks like the pics are gone, part of the photobucket dilemma. You should be able to follow the directions, it's straightforward.
It wasn't really a photobucket dilemma as I had all photos hosted on the forum server. If you look at the url for the missing image, it shows it is (was) hosted on a directory on the server. Looks like the whole How To section might be gutted this way.

I just looked at another 'how-to' article from you, the carb bowl one, and that seemed to still have intact pics, though it was the only one I tried.

I just looked at another 'how-to' article from you, the carb bowl one, and that seemed to still have intact pics, though it was the only one I tried.

That one the pictures are attachments in the message. Anything that I put on the server to fix the photobucket issue has been lost.

Back