Gday new member in Oz

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markpb

Reaction score
Hi all I thought it was time to say hello. I've been a member for a while but mostly a casual observer. I bought my 98 max some years ago because it was the only bike to give me a woody when I rode it :eusa_dance:. I have a background in performance automotive as a pro engine builder, supercharger fitter and dyno tuner, I've also been active in performance diff and auto trans building with the odd manual trannies as well. I only mention that so you understand my odd desires for my max.

Two years ago now I started driving 1.6KM long (1mile) long coal trains here in Queensland Aus in a small rural town and now I'm really bored. So unless I want to become an alcoholic gambling addict I need a new hobby.

But what? Then I looked at my max and wondered, Hmmm. I've ordered a ufo 4 into 1 dragstar system (nearly two months and its still not ready to ship :bang head:), I also bought a supercharger set up from magna charger. Seeing as I will pull the motor I bought rods and pistons to decomp it. Bill Bushling also takes his time.

So maybe I can see what the max is capable of, that's my years project.
Later this year I'll get a front end, a fat rear (that worries me each time I call these people they change price and bagg the competition), change all the asthetics of the max that look old, run water/methanol injection, dyno the motor and hopefully set up some decent timing. I'm also planning to run a small nos set up and hopefully I can accidently blow the donk and have to increase capacity:biglaugh:.

That'll do for now, look forward to doing some dirty work and sharing the ride with some other max lovers

Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted how the upgrades go. For most of us the mod monkey is always happy to make us buy more stuff for the bike.

Mate I emailed sean morley and he mentioned a programmable module that was better than the dyna unit, also looking through the forum I think I saw a unit called 'ignitec' or similar that had what looked to me something like a delco map sensor that I am familiar with on boosted motors I tuned here in Oz. Hopefully it will allow for two bar sensing so I can create a speed density style spark map for all boost ( although I think I need a 3 bar sensor, which I've used before). I'm going to set up the fuel first then get the best safe spark I can without the water injection then go from there, that's always worked for me in the past.

Cheers

Wow make sure you take pictures to show us your progress.

sure mate will do. I took photo's and video before so I can have complete beginning to end documentation. The only photo I don't want is the one with me sweeping up the motor:biglaugh:.

Sorry bro, I am gonna bust your balls....

When I first say this title I thought it said " GAY new member in Oz....."

Sorry:rofl_200:

I was like WTF? LOL

Todd

G'day mate!!
That project sounds like you better have lots of gasoline available in Oz.
On the plus side, you'll get from gas station to gas station REAL fast ( roads in Oz are mostly straight, right?).
Good Luck with the project.
Any idea what you might expect from this setup at the crank?

Hi, I have no real idea of what the vmax can actually handle from the motor. My experience with blown motors is mostly with LS style v8's. With the alloy v8's the limiting factors we came up against were the cylinders, ie they distorted and had heaps of blow by and split the cylinder walls. We found with 10 to 1 comp 14 psi would wreck the bores (assuming h beam rods and blower pistons) so on the bigger motors we used steel blocks. So limit one is the block, head clamp and case bolts. I'm using 8.5 to 1 comp so I don't really know but can't wait to find out. As long as I tune it correctly and have adequate water injection I'm hoping for stupid numbers but no doubt the drive train will be the next biggest issue, clutch and drive shaft and diff. Hopefully the lack of traction will reduce shock loads and those type of breakages. I bought from bill bushling two sets of gears, one to give 10-12 psi and another for 15-18 psi. We'll strart with the lower boost on petrol with water/methanol injection and then when that's sorted, another carb for about 75%methanol and 25%nitromethane, should be fun.

Gratuitous stereotype .gif:

Jim-Carey-Lets-Put-Another-Shrimp-on-the-Barbie-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Back