Gear indicator issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro33

Reaction score
Hello Maxers! I ride a 2018. 35k miles. Sometimes I get a gear indicator that goes blank, and scrolls between blank and the current gear. I looked at my wiring diagram in my service manual, and suspect the gear indicator switch is the culprit. Before I go digging with my lab scope, have any of you had gear indicator switch failure? Thanks! Brad.

I think it's a pretty common issue. Sometimes I Think resolved by cleaning contacts and others by replacing the sending unit. I even keep one in stock just in case it's needed.

My 2012 does that sometimes as well but only when I’m in 2nd gear, just glad to know it’s kind of a common problem. Not that I want it but just that I now know.

Mine did that too. I replaced the gear position sensor and it fixed it. I think I could have repaired it without buying a sensor though. This video is pretty decent at showing what happens and what the fix might be if you wanna try it before buying a new sensor. Obviously not a VMAX but the one our bikes looks very similar and works the same way. Either way it’s a pretty easy job. It probably took me longer just routing the new pigtail and connector in the correct oe routing.

I have the same problem on a 2019. When the engine is warmed up, 1st and 5th don’t show.

I’m gonna get to this sensor and clean it off very soon and see if it does the trick. I’m a stickler for my things running like a top. Stupid question though; can I withdraw the sensor without draining the oil?

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    583.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    785.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back