gear selector segment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark!Too bad the dealers keep selling the old style parts to everyone instead of telling them there is an upgrade.I think I still have a complete spare set of the old style here somewhere.

Shawn, agreed! I think most of the time the dealers don't know when Yamaha changes the design of parts!

Mark

Is this the cause for the second gear F/up people talk about ?

In the picture I think I see what has happened. How in the hell would those dog ear tabs get bent out like that....? Is there pressure on those pins to be pushed out or is it the tabs are catching on something ?

Can you post a pic of the old style next to the new designed one for us please ?

Why are you blaming rotella? is it too thin? or does it get thin with use?
I am using amsoil but it is $8.00 a quart, the mechanic at the dealer has an FJR and is also using amsoil.
I have used rotella 5-40 diesel synthetic for 3 oil changes and it actually felt smoother than the ansoil but since it is not motorcycle specific I decided to use amsoil and pay ~$40 for oil change, its a pain because I have to order it online.

motorcycle specified ? manual says nothing about motorcycle oil says SAE oil .... firefly i changed to rotella 5 40 over winter havent riden bike yet you where happy with rotella so far

Is this the cause for the second gear F/up people talk about ?

In the picture I think I see what has happened. How in the hell would those dog ear tabs get bent out like that....? Is there pressure on those pins to be pushed out or is it the tabs are catching on something ?

Can you post a pic of the old style next to the new designed one for us please ?

Old design first

Attachments

• IM000950.jpg
    IM000950.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Segment Repaired 007 small.jpg
    Segment Repaired 007 small.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 371
I cant tell the difference between the two. Am i missing something?

Thanks

Extreme
1997 V-max:bang head:

The first picture is the old style - has steel tabs (individual) holding the pins - they tend to bend and the pin falls out resulting in being unable to shift gear

The new style is one complete piece that bolts over all the pins - much better design and pins cannot fall out.

Hope this helps!

Mike

I am a new member, who had a shift problem, found this forum , and used it to diagnose my problem. The piece on the segment that holds the pins was bent just as described. I had no 1st , 4th, or 5th. Replaced the old style segment with the new style and put everything back together. Now my 97 shifts perfect from 1st to 5th but I can't find neutral. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Love this forum, so glad I found it.

I am a new member, who had a shift problem, found this forum , and used it to diagnose my problem. The piece on the segment that holds the pins was bent just as described. I had no 1st , 4th, or 5th. Replaced the old style segment with the new style and put everything back together. Now my 97 shifts perfect from 1st to 5th but I can't find neutral. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Love this forum, so glad I found it.

You might possibly have the star behind the segment 180 degrees out.The one with the 2 little holes and pins to hold it in place.It looks like a star with a cutout moon shaped detent for nuetral.A roller bearing rides on this thing.

Read through the thread and have aquestion.

I get a rare jump when shifting 2nd to 3rd, it will go into third then slip and drop back into second. Is this a sympton of the gear selector issue?

1986 22k

I don't believe so. Gear selecter segment problems usually don't allow you to shift. Sounds like gear dogs are worn for 2nd/3rd.

Thanks Mark.

It only happens when I feel like I get a half assed shift, and then very rarely. I guess I get to live with it.

I would pull the basket and look at it.I went through 4 or 5 of the old style segments before I found out about the new style.I was very jerked off that they kept right on selling me the old junk insted of telling me to convert it.

My guess is the tin star is bent up some and the pins will eventually fall out.

I did a big smokin' burnout in first gear last week ( yea I know, I should have used 2nd ) & now it's a BITCH to find neutral unless I'm rolling. If I'm stopped I sometimes now have to shut it off to catch neutral - never had this issue before. Does this also sound like a gear selector segment ?

Rich, does it shift okay otherwise? I would start with the clutch fluid and bleeding the system. Then, check the clutch discs and steels. If those look okay then remove the hub, basket and check the segment.

On rare occasions it will miss a 3 or 4 up-shift, but that's very rare & I attribute that to me not hitting shifter hard enough. New clutch (8 disk Yamaha) & slave cylinder this past spring. I may try bleeding again, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to the '99 parts - then I don't have to worry about problems in the future. What's a ballpark figure on the price ? I'll probably order from Sean - my local stealer gets 20% over list - ouch.

Latest posts

Back