gear selector segment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On rare occasions it will miss a 3 or 4 up-shift, but that's very rare & I attribute that to me not hitting shifter hard enough. New clutch (8 disk Yamaha) & slave cylinder this past spring. I may try bleeding again, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to the '99 parts - then I don't have to worry about problems in the future. What's a ballpark figure on the price ? I'll probably order from Sean - my local stealer gets 20% over list - ouch.

Rich, look the part up at www.ronnies.com. Then take about 60%...that should be ballpark for Mondak Motors before shipping.

You need:

4NK-18185-00-00 SEGMENT Qty: 1
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 5
93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 1

A simple install from there.

I'm on my 4th failure of this assembly. I was going to start a thread on this question (not to mention buy "old style" replacement parts) but decided to do a search first and what-do-ya-know? A design failure that was all detailed out here on this thread.

I ONLY WISH I FOUND THIS FORUM EARLIER!! :punk::punk::punk:

I ordered my parts today. I'm looking at the exploded view of the parts that were shown to buy on my previous reply. But looking at the drawing should I need to order #4 (another dowel pin)? I'm converting from '95 parts to '99 and later. TIA.

I don't think you need that. Believe it's for the star piece. You could order it as a just in case since it's less than a buck.

Originally Posted by one2dmax
You need:

4NK-18185-00-00 SEGMENT Qty: 1
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 5
93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 1

A simple install from there.

Aprox, how much do these parts cost in total.......I will defiantly do this update this winter.

Less then $50, don't forget the clutch cover gasket. Sometimes it's also beneficial to get a new screw as the old one is easily stripped out.

Sean

Just bought & installed the parts listed in this thread & MAN what a difference ! Shifts smooth as butter & a 5 year old could find neutral blindfolded. I took a couple up close pics of the old & new segments next to each other so people can see the difference before taking it all apart. If your toolbox is a little on the lean side, just be sure you have a 5mm allen socket, a T30 torx, a 10 & 12 mm socket & a 1 3/16" socket on an impact wrench. And a large diameter oil pan is a good idea because when you remove the shift shaft about half a quart of oil is coming out of the left side of the bike - yep - I lubed my garage floor real good ! :biglaugh: IMHO this is one of the best $35 upgrades you can do to a pre '99 VMAX. I called Gary at Mondak Motorsports & he had all the parts to me fast and at a great VMAXFORUM discount. Thanks to Shawn & Sean for starting this thread in the first place. Saved me a lot of heartache !

Attachments

• 100_1113.jpg
    100_1113.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_1114.jpg
    100_1114.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 240
I need help! I just replaced my gear selector segment with the new style, assembled it as far as the clutch without the cover on, and my neutral is up between 4th and 5th... sort of... i have to hold it between the gears to get the neutral light to come on.. i need a pic of where the cogs are supposed to be when i install the new segment.. i have a downloaded manual, and can't find a good reference anywhere. My bike is '96. Please help!

I read this thread and decided that upgrading the segment was a good idea (I've had a couple of shifting issues that sound similar to what others are describing). I have all the required parts on hand, but I'm now a little scared to doing this one myself. I take it that I need to remove the entire clutch in order to get at the segment. Let me know how difficult this job is for someone who has never really seen the inside of an engine. Are there things in particular that I need to be careful not to screw up? Should I hold off for now until I have some more experience? Its not worth it to me if there is any significant chance that I could screw something up. Thanks

I'm not a bike expert, but IMHO the VMAX clutch is prolly the easiest clutch I've ever removed in ANY vehicle. Just take your time & I'm sure you'll have no probs. If you run into something, post it here & all the heavy hitters will chime in & guide you through. I don't see how you could ruin anything unless your toolbox is nothing more than vise-grips & a hammer !:biglaugh: It's a good upgrade & you'll have more confidence AND bragging rights after doing it yourself.

Help! I decided to go for it. Got the clutch all taken apart as per Haynes manual, but I'm not sure what I need to do now to replace the segment. Here's where I'm at:

IMG_0015.jpg

I could really use a step-by-step from here on. If anyone sees this tonight (Thurs. 14th) and wouldn't mind talking me through it, please PM me a phone number and I will call you. Thanks!

Got er done - thanks a lot Sean

I took lots of pics and will write up a step-by-step later for anyone else who might be interested in this upgrade but is intimidated by removing a clutch. It's really not so bad.

One thing - I found a small black nut when I was cleaning up. It kinda looked like it came from the same package as the torx bolt for holding the segment in. I didn't miss a nut anywhere during this job did I???

Back