gear selector segment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help! I decided to go for it. Got the clutch all taken apart as per Haynes manual, but I'm not sure what I need to do now to replace the segment. Here's where I'm at:

IMG_0015.jpg

I could really use a step-by-step from here on. If anyone sees this tonight (Thurs. 14th) and wouldn't mind talking me through it, please PM me a phone number and I will call you. Thanks!

Dave
I would love to see yours step by step photos.

I have 97 and I have the same symptoms. Under hard acceleration I can't get to 2nd gear :( plus I think my clutch is slipping so maybe I should do it all in the same time.

Vitek

Dave,

I'm with Vitek, would love to see the play-by-play or even sequential pics! :)

do you guys think this will take care of my second gear issue. going to try it tommorow. my problem is i cant get in to second but if i shift in to 2nd and hold my foot up while driving i can use it but i dont do that. i did it once to make sure second was there.. so hoping this may be the cause

Probably not the cause if you can hold it up and kind of keep it in place. Still worth looking at first though as it's a lot easier and cheaper to fix then the trans would be.

Sean

I have new segment installed, clutch basket is still off. When I try to shift I can go down to first gear then up to second then up to 3rd then up to 4th and then I can't get it to fifth gear. is there a trick to align shift segment?

Vitek

sorry for posting in an old thread, but i have a 97, and just ordered an 07 shift segment just to make sure i get the updated segment........ i noticed last year with soft toed shoes i would miss 2nd gear a few times. now i ride with steel toe boots, and have no problem with 2nd gear at all, but just in case i'm updating my segment...... i do not want to tear it down to file a few teeth on a gear..... and i always use my clutch to shift for every gear, every shift. i've heard horror stories on dirt bikes, and not using the clutch...... gears getting jammed, cases splitting, not my cup of tea.... i'll take the cheaper, easier route.

The segment is not a cure for a worn transmission but it can help get a more positive shift if the segment starts going bad.

ahhhh, ok i must have read it wrong. i thought they were linked together... when the shift segment starts going it starts to kick out of second gear........ they are 2 different problems at hand then..... but in any case i'm still updating my segment, lol. can't hurt. i have to do the left engine cover gasket, so i might as well tear down the right side and do the segment as well, and an oil change since it would be easier to just drain the oil. and when winter gets here, i'm doing the h.d. oiling kit, because sitting along side the road with a seized engine from a dropped pick up tube is not fun.... been there done that, but i got paid while i sat there and waited for the wrecker.

If you're getting that far you aren't far from doing the oil pump hd kit.

The segment will make it hard (or impossible) to go between gears. The second gear wear will cause it to not stay in gear.

+1
If your diving in on all that might as well do the oil pump mod.

And if your doing that, meaning you must remove the exhaust, then
Might as well do aftermarket exhaust at the same time.

See how these things snowball? haha

okay I have searched these forums cant find my exact problem. 92 vmax I only have 1st 2nd and 3rd gear nothing past that. is this a shifter segment issue?

Latest posts

Back