gel pad for v max seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
is anyone on here using a gel pad in their seat? not something you strap to the existing seat, but the stuff you would have layed down before you re-upholstered the seat. i've decided to redo the sportmax seat on the bike and want to put the gel pad in there when i decide on the design (colors, stitchwork). i also want to have "CLIMAX" stiched into the flip up section. sean, is this something you do? i got a friend who does re-upolstering, but i'm not sure about the stichwork. just doing the research part of it right now. there was a lady selling the raw gel in laconia a few years back but i couldnt find her this year. she cut it for the seat on my friends harley and glued the foam to one side. gave him a wicked deal and thats why i was hoping to run into her last year! he had it recovered and its damn nice-even though its on a harley lol. if you've done this mod i'd be interested in hearing from you. thanks for the help and input?

cheers odieoh24

Yea, we've done stitching and if they do upholstery they can do it too. We can either stitch only (outlined letters) or have it silkscreened and then stitch around it.

Sean

I know that you can buy gel pad from most good accessories stealers, but they are usually pricey. I've also heard that they get VERY hot in the sun, so it's a good idea to scoop out plenty of foam, install the gel pad, and then have another layer of foam on top of it to isolate it from being heated up in sunlight.

Yea, we've done stitching and if they do upholstery they can do it too. We can either stitch only (outlined letters) or have it silkscreened and then stitch around it.

Sean
Here's some of Sean's work, 2 seasons old and still looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 51
I had a gel pad in my Sportmax seat and didn't see much change. I have had a couple gel seats (one a optional factory Suzuki seat on a Bandit) and am not sure they really do much except absorb heat.

I used a bicycle gel pad seat from Wally world (about 20 bucks) and cut the foam out for it. It made a big difference on mine for the longer rides and I can tell it when crossing rail road tracks and on bumpy roads. I will tell you it gets hot and holds the heat if left out in the sun. When I get off work and ride the 40 miles home it would still be hot 30 miles down the road!

I had my Corbin seat recovered and while he was at it had the front part of the seat pan foam totally removed and foam installed. While he was at it I had the Flap for the fuel filler covered over and the hole filled with some foam rubber. It now is great to ride on and it also looks good. By the way, I removed all the mount bolts and just lay the seat on. It isn't going anywere with my big butt on it and I just lift it off to fuel up. It is just no problem and it really does look great. Dare to be different!

A seller on eBay has a gel, memory and smoothing foam kit available. If you check their listings, they have a few other sizes too.

Click Here

p.s.: No affiliation here, just noticed the listing while cruising eBay.
G Man

Latest posts

Back