Gen 1 1999\2000 LED H4 Bulb compatibility?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenfruin

Reaction score
Hello to all, I,m wondering if it is okay to fit a H4 LED headlight bulb well actually two as the bike I recently bought ( Gen 1 1999/2000 US model) has two smaller headlights fitted, I think the LED bulbs are brighter and whiter than the normal H4 bulbs, I don’t want to risk damaging the electrical system if I just fit LED bulbs. Has anyone else tried fitting H4 LED bulb/ bulbs ? I had a search on here but can’t see any threads thanks in advance Glenn from Scotland 🤙

That looks great do you have the type of bulb H4 led bulb you used? There’s a lot of different types and thanks for the info and photos

Yes, you may need to spread any electrical connections to one side of the bucket, because of the depth of the H4 cooling fin housing pighuntingpuppy used.

Hey dude,

So this headlight will work with the stock bucket? I’ve never opened up the housing, would I just need one of these bulbs?

Thank you
Yes this light will fit into the stock bucket with no modifications needed. You will need to move the wiring around in the bucket so the heat sink will fit, but there is plenty of room.

Yes this light will fit into the stock bucket with no modifications needed. You will need to move the wiring around in the bucket so the heat sink will fit, but there is plenty of room.
Thank you sir, I just ordered one. Will match the rest of the led setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2276.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2313.jpeg
    IMG_2313.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 1
Not sure about “plenty” of room but it’ll go….took some finagling to get mine in…ended up pulling some of the wiring out the back of the bucket to get room…you’re right tho the heat sink makes things interesting…took a minute to get all that in and the mounting screws aligned.

Secondly you guys sure are trusting/brave putting those tiny turn signal lights on your bike.

Last edited:
Not sure about “plenty” of room but it’ll go….took some finagling to get mine in…ended up pulling some of the wiring out the back of the bucket to get room…you’re right tho the heat sink makes things interesting…took a minute to get all that in and the mounting screws aligned.

Secondly you guys sure are trusting/brave putting those tiny turn signal lights on your bike.
I am a fan of the lollipops which come stock, no issues with them. The large lens and incandescent bulbs make a larger square inch per lamp visual aid to your presence. I tried some of the first of the LED lamps, swap-ins for the 1157 dual wattage two-'filament' bulbs, and after seeing how they performed at night, I swapped the original incandescent lamp back into the taillight.

https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-nht-212-motorcycle/motorcycle49-50.html

A paper from the University of South Florida cited data claiming motorcycle fatality rates were more-than 13 times the rate for cars (!) per same mileage driven or ridden. Of interest is that the rate of mortality for vehicle operators (cars, trucks, motorcycles) varies with age, and is significantly higher for riders 15-24 years of age, compared to any other age group.

https://peterhancock.ucf.edu/wp-con...and-synthesis-of-influential-factors_1989.pdf

Here is a more-recent review of the issue of motorcycle conspicuity. It looks at multiple research papers and performs a meta-analysis of the data of those papers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8213631/

From the above link:
Twenty-seven final articles were reviewed and found that almost every part of motorcycle and motorcyclist’s conspicuity intervention have been covered in past studies. In terms of conspicuity aids, the majority of past studies discussed conspicuity enhancement in the frontal area, particularly on motorcycle daytime running headlight (DRH) color and configurations. Few other studies have discussed in other areas, particularly on rear running and brake light and motorcycle color. There were also numerous studies looking at motorcyclists’ appearances in terms of their attire and helmet color. The conclusion reached was:
Motorcycle and motorcyclist’s appearances are highly associated with the risk of motorcycle crashes. The most important part of enhancing motorcycle conspicuity is to ensure motorcycle appearance is always in contrast with the road traffic environment.

That means, at night, the black-clad motorcyclist, with a black helmet and a black naked bike with the minimum lighting required is betting against the odds.

Dude, you were right it took a LOT of finagling to get the headlight screwed back into the bucket, however perfectly doable with more or less frustration. This bulb is great for the money and looks real good. Haven’t tested at night while riding yet but looks like it will be better than stock. So far no issues, anyone interested in converting to LED this is a good option for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpeg
    IMG_2326.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Back