GEN 1 AIR SCOOP FINISH

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Fire-medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stripped and polished my aluminum Gen 1 scoops years ago and a local shop quoted me more than $1000 to chrome them. I didn't do it.
OMG, that's a crack-addict trying to get a weeks-worth of $ to-blow! That's crazy! Sean's prices are much-much-cheaper.

Fire-medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
$230 is a screamin' deal!:eek: Nobody around me can come anywhere close to that. The package price is worth it if you have a clean bike and just want to shine it up a bit (a lot!) "Chrome don't get you-home," the saying goes, but "chrome marks-it as my-own."

Woody

Reaction score
Wow, just dipping my toes in, mind telling me how you got that finish? E.g. rouge, how many Mother’s treatments?
after sanding to .000 wool
I used rouge and a cloth wheel.on a bench grinder.
Red, green then white.
Mothers is my go to.for maintaining the shine.

PATMAX

Reaction score
I am gonna go out there an tell any interested in polishing factory scoops to chrome like luster on their own to double or triple what ever time and expense you think it might take. Stripping off factory clear is on job. Aircraft stripper and a gallon should be plenty. I always file and sand off all the factory casting flash. Maybe 4-6 hours and contour any sharp edges. You have an hour or two polishing the screw holes just themselves. I have about two hours hand sanding any imperfections or oxidation out then filing radiused edges and corners. I can easily spend 6-8 hours with and 8 inch wheel and I have the air driven buffing kit with small wheels, cones and sleeves in muslin snd felt. Wear gloves. Buffing compound stains your skin. After all that, you will want to clear your hard work.

Woody

Reaction score
I am gonna go out there an tell any interested in polishing factory scoops to chrome like luster on their own to double or triple what ever time and expense you think it might take. Stripping off factory clear is on job. Aircraft stripper and a gallon should be plenty. I always file and sand off all the factory casting flash. Maybe 4-6 hours and contour any sharp edges. You have an hour or two polishing the screw holes just themselves. I have about two hours hand sanding any imperfections or oxidation out then filing radiused edges and corners. I can easily spend 6-8 hours with and 8 inch wheel and I have the air driven buffing kit with small wheels, cones and sleeves in muslin snd felt. Wear gloves. Buffing compound stains your skin. After all that, you will want to clear your hard work.
Clear coat will dull dull the shine.
Just hit them with mothers.When they need a lil shine. Each time they will get a deeper luster and shine.
When finished a light.rub with cornstarch. Will help the mirror finish pop.
Don't worry about the yamaha lettering. Just paint it.then wipe off any over spray.

sdt354

Reaction score
Hello all, what is the best way to restore the factory "chrome" finish on gen 1 air scoops. Someone painted mine black.
That looks like a 1989. The scopes are meant to be black, originally. Of course you can do whatever you desire, just saying.

desert_max

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I know I put some work in mine, but nowhere near the amount of time Pat is talking about. Maybe I’m less picky, and yes it’s a lot of work, but I did not spend that much time. I bet I don’t have more than three or four hours in these.

Oven cleaner works great as a stripper and far less than a gallon was needed. The nicer you are to them when stripping the clear off, the less polishing you’ll need to do.

mundmc

Reaction score
Desert, Woody, and Patmax- thank you for the guidance and inspiration. I know me, and i know when non-discretional income returns i’ll probably chrome, but i want to prove to myself i can polish aluminum to a mirror finish first, even if i never do it again. I love working on my max again.

Latest posts