GEN 1 Aluminum Scoop Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motor-Officer

Reaction score
I came across a used set of bare aluminum scoops. They have some type of irregular streaking in the aluminum. This streaking cannot/will not polish out. Has anybody else ever come across this problem in their scoops? I can't believe that these scoops would have been fitted on a new bike. Any ideas?
Thank you.

I think it is because they are cast and the flowing metal causes swirls, I had it in the alloy parts of my ZL1000 ELIMINATOR, there is a little bit of it in my V-MAX scoops but not too bad to ruin the look

Or chrome! There are always "hot spots" or mixed metal blemished area's that won't polish out of the scoops so you have to live with what you have. Some are better then others.

+1 to the chrome.

Medic, for a hot second I though you were having a pool party with John lennon..

But I'm thinkin those "people" could be just statues..and possibly not a John Lennon statue..

T.

Attachments

• raw scoop_01.jpg
    raw scoop_01.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 19
+1 to the chrome.

Medic, for a hot second I though you were having a pool party with John lennon..

But I'm thinkin those "people" could be just statues..and possibly not a John Lennon statue..

T.

Yes those figurines are marginally in the picture, taken at Christmas in the backyard pool deck, where I was doing my open-air spraying, very amateur-ish, also, very cheap! Having those characters watching-over my efforts probably helped the results. My intent was to show a ready for paint stripped scoop, and then, the results. I was always a "Lennon more-than McCartney' fan of the Beatles, though I admired their talents individually and together.

Thanks for the responses. But didn't some years (1985-86 and more?) have a bare finished aluminum with possibly only clearcoat?

on my 91 model the scoops are bare ally with the bottom half painted grey, not sure if it's standard though but they will be polished up a bit very soon

All years (except 87-89) had brushed bare aluminum with clear coat and painted bottom halves (grey/silver or black in later years).

Back