gen 1 engine overhaul

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulling the pan (which can be done with it in the frame) will tell you right away. If it spun it's done. You can save trans, heads/cams, clutch, and misc.

What should I see if it’s spun and if it is can you replace the cases
There will be debris in the oil pan and the rod(s) will show discoloration when looking at it (usually spins one or two and not all 4). You could but just as easy to get a good used engine or at least lower block assembly.

The cases can be replaced, but you will need to identify the right size bearings for your crankshaft/crankcase combination. This is done by a calculation from the numbers for the main bearings stamped on the crankshaft and the crankcase. Crankcase number - crankshaft number = bearing number. The numbers as read from left to right apply to the journals from left to right as you sit on the bike. The same applies to the balance shaft bearings. I have attached a screenshot of the calculations I made. Both crankcase halves must be replaced because they are machined as a pair, which of course means that you are also replacing the cylinders.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-22 151126.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-22 151126.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 0
There will be debris in the oil pan and the rod(s) will show discoloration when looking at it (usually spins one or two and not all 4). You could but just as easy to get a good used engine or at least lower block assembly.
Haven't found a used engine that I feel comfortable with its condition. They all look very rough and most have much higher milage then my engine. If you know of a engine I should look at I'd appreciate a heads up

The cases can be replaced, but you will need to identify the right size bearings for your crankshaft/crankcase combination. This is done by a calculation from the numbers for the main bearings stamped on the crankshaft and the crankcase. Crankcase number - crankshaft number = bearing number. The numbers as read from left to right apply to the journals from left to right as you sit on the bike. The same applies to the balance shaft bearings. I have attached a screenshot of the calculations I made. Both crankcase halves must be replaced because they are machined as a pair, which of course means that you are also replacing the cylinders.
Wow, I thought it was a simple thing like all were the same. all the more reason to have a competent wrench do the work. If I could find a engine that I felt comfortable with its condition I would probably go that way

Haven't found a used engine that I feel comfortable with its condition. They all look very rough and most have much higher milage then my engine. If you know of a engine I should look at I'd appreciate a heads up
I may have one around here. I know I have a few with good short blocks (where you move over your heads/cams) and might have some with good long blocks though with bad trans (so you could move over your trans).

If mileage is not over 80-100k I would not be too concerned with it. They don't even make their best power until they have 50-60k on them.

I may have one around here. I know I have a few with good short blocks (where you move over your heads/cams) and might have some with good long blocks though with bad trans (so you could move over your trans).

If mileage is not over 80-100k I would not be too concerned with it. They don't even make their best power until they have 50-60k on them.
Thanks I’ll keep them in mind. My plan is first to get someone who knows what there doing to look at what is going on with mine, if I can find anybody east of the Mississippi and If mine can be used to rebuild from. Second find a motor that has not been abused, don’t know how I’m going to do this. And last would be your option and find the cases I need. And then there is a forth option, sell it as is and get another bike. I just dropped a big chunk into it putting a 94 front end on it and a custom seat recover. I still have the original 86 front end other parts I’d through in. But I really want to keep my Max, I’ve had it so long it wouldn’t feel right without it

Get it apart yourself (I have a 20 set how to doc on getting it out) and then I can help you look at the pictures to help you decide what options you have.

Sorry been busy and just looked at thread. I have a 2005 engine with about 22,000 miles . It is in an 85 that i have here. It is still in the bike you can test ride it and I will pull it out no issues at all. $ 1100

Back