Gen 1 Engine ticking sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2Ride

Reaction score
Hello,
some time ago my bike started to make a tick-tick sound which was not always noticeable.
Now when the bike is cold the sound is sometimes there, but once it gets hot at normal working temperature, the sound seems very loud and its always there as you can hear from the movies.
The person who called my attention about it has a Vmax repair shop and he told me that could be the rod that connects to the piston that got some free space, I am not here to say he is wrong but just so you guys could share a second opinion about this, since many of you here are very experienced with this engines.

I got the bike two years ago with 17000 miles and something more, got last year already a broken starter clutch where I had to spend a nice amount of money and now this problem which makes it hard to describe how much I am disappointed with this bike. Specially in this time of my life where I need to change my job and was depending on it to make logistics easier..

Anyway, let me now your opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7onEzhfoHB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGDVshsEKNA

Did you try tightening your exhaust bolts?
Also try pulling in the clutch handle and see if it goes away.

Did you try tightening your exhaust bolts?

No, honestly, I haven't tried anything yet. But will for sure check it, thanks.
True, that I have read something about a noise caused by loose bolts on the exhaust, but since I didn't hear any sound to compare didn't think about it because this sound seems very metallic. Thanks.

It's common for these bikes to get a worn wrist pin which I used to worry about many years ago but no longer am concerned until it gets a lot worse.

It's common for these bikes to get a worn wrist pin which I used to worry about many years ago but no longer am concerned until it gets a lot worse.

Do you mean the part 3JP-11633-00-00 “PIN, PISTON” ?

If that is the case, is there a chance that the push rod can stay?

You mean its not that loud yet to be worried about? How many miles, more or less, you think I still have until that time comes?

From what i ear...
It very similar to mine. On mine the ticking sound come from timing chain, worn tensionners pads and/or chains or faulty tensionner.

Easy to check, remove valve covers and check chain tension...

Easier to fix than wrist pin.

From what i ear...
It very similar to mine. On msharing ticking sound come from timing chain, worn tensionners pads and/or chains or faulty tensionner.

Easy to check, remove valve covers and check chain tension...

Easier to fix than wrist pin.

that is definitely some hope in the middle of all this disaster. thanks for sharing.

Back