Gen 1 in 2020

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravisAnthony07

Reaction score
Hi everyone 。◕‿◕。
I am trying to find the lightest (I know.... kind of an oxymoron) and best handling, power cruiser that has reasonable reliability and parts availability.
I will commute to work regularly (about 30 miles in 30 minutes)... I also want it to be a fun bike to take to the drag strip (not saying it has to be the fastest bike in the world.... just a fun one)
the gen 1 vmax is in the lead for my interest right now (tho I have not gone out and actually sat on one yet)... but im also open to any other ideas.
I would like to hear from owners what it is like to own a late 1st gen vmax in 2020, if it is hard getting parts, or if there are any common problems I should look out for.
or if there are any common upgrades done to the 1st gen that I should try to find already done to the bike I want to purchase

thanks a lot to everyone that takes the time to help me out, I hope to join you on the road with a gen 1 within the next few months
(ᵔᴥᵔ)

2007 Vmax here, no problems finding parts. Several members will hook you up with whatever you want stock or upgrades. If you got some time to kill, use the search function and cruise around looking at things that might pique your interest.

There are some issues to look for especially among the earlier Gen 1s which the biggest would be the 2cd gear one. Under hard acceleration, in 2cd gear will jump out of gear. Its not too terrible a fix if you are handy. Just very time consuming. If the bikes been sitting, like any other, the carbs can be fickle.

As for mine, outside of a sissy back seat, small windshield, some crash bars and LED upgrades, my bike is completely stock. At 5000 feet, I can run the quarter in the high 11s. Its not the most nimble of bikes. But I am used to these era cruisers and how they handle so for me, its no big deal.

Yamaha for me has always been synonymous with quality and reliability. Take care of it and it will take care of you. I have a 1982 Yamaha Virago that has turned 100K miles. Couple hiccups here and there. But the only time I was left walking was when I ran out of gas.

I have the last Gen 1 Vmax - the 2007.

I've never ordered a part for it other than an oil filter and air filter.

In order : Vmax, Diavel and SuperDuke..no exceptions..Although I'd add in the rocket r too but havent actually rode one YET...
I have had 2 1st gen vmaxs and one 2012 so far. biggest issue was starter clutch and dialing in carbs, last one I had had 53k miles and never smoked or gave me an issue and I was not nice to it but always maintained it and had it purring. If you go the vmax route the DDmod is a must get the carbs jetted right/synced and you'll own it forever... Diavels have an issue w fuel gauge going wonky but feel amazing on the road although you have to keep above 4k rpm. I've only rode a KTM once and if you dont mind sitting high as the clouds it is a super fun bike and was better than the diavel at lower RPMS...all that said Vmax is king...especially 2nd gens

Posting your location below your screen name may help you get more-local info.

I have a great affection for the Gen 1 VMax, anyone who's been on here for years knows I like to help others make smart decisions about buying and fixing 'em. That said, the choice I'd offer you is this:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard M109R/2020/M109RB
Reliable, quick, easy to get parts for, and they have a good reputation. Pretty-easy to find a used one. They started production one year before the Gen 1 VMax stopped production. I suspect these are less-fussy than a Gen. 1 VMax. Especially where you want to commute for work, I think this will be a more-reliable ride overall than a Gen. 1.

One of my friends has had two of them, one when he was building a spec home in Durango CO (he's a G.C.), and a second one he has now, in the FL Keys (another spec home being built). He's owned literbikes and before that a SOHC Honda CB 750 in the 1970's, two Porsche 911 Turbos, a 35' Cigarette w/two Chevy 454's, he's a private pilot, and has owned planes, you get the idea. He likes to go fast. He likes his M109R just-fine. Every spring when we meet him for Daytona Bike Week, he shows us how-well it can perform. You should take a look at one.

Here's a St. Petersburg FL 24K mi. bike for $8K. That's about 1/2 of new.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcd/d/saint-petersburg-2014-suzuki-boulevard/7167008063.html
Suzuki M109R.jpg

Last edited:
My first Vmax is an 07. Still own it. Since that time, I have an 86, and 05 as well. Also have a 2011 (Gen 2). The Gen 2 is fun, but I DONT ever see getting rid of my gen 1's as well.

If you want the lightest, don't go for a 2nd Gen VMAX. They are heavy! Just go ride a 1st Gen with working V-Boost. That should convince you.....

The day I got my 1997 Vmax, I pulled every plastic body panel off except for the dash. Pulled the dress up covers below the carbs. Removed both fenders and the faux tank. I use the inner rear fender as the fender. Pulled the sissy bar, and turn signals. Replaced those with shorter but larger diameter Harley signals. Pulled the radiator side pieces. Switched to COPS. Converted from standard mirrors to bar end mirrors. Flipped the handlebars and put on adjustable risers. Pulled the radiator shroud. I took off the fake scoops, but put them back on. Swapped the bulky Dale Walker Holeshot mufflers for Shovelhead drag mufflers. Went with a 180 tire on the back. Upgraded the starter clutch and put in a Goldwing battery. Tried to make it as much as a naked bike as I could. This is the machine I use to go out and burn up the road or fly to work if I'm running late. Still ride a Harley Fatboy when I need to put something in a saddle bag. I went to buy a 2nd gen, but passed after the test ride as my 1st gen was more fun.

Everything in the last photo is boxed and ready to be put back on if I ever sell it.

fuUm5A9.jpg

kBECOR7.jpg

55kCPx4.jpg

EEZHEL9.jpg

wliI7pb.jpg

Before:

sSqFJSg.jpg

Hi everyone 。◕‿◕。
I am trying to find the lightest (I know.... kind of an oxymoron) and best handling, power cruiser that has reasonable reliability and parts availability.
I will commute to work regularly (about 30 miles in 30 minutes)... I also want it to be a fun bike to take to the drag strip (not saying it has to be the fastest bike in the world.... just a fun one)
the gen 1 vmax is in the lead for my interest right now (tho I have not gone out and actually sat on one yet)... but im also open to any other ideas.
I would like to hear from owners what it is like to own a late 1st gen vmax in 2020, if it is hard getting parts, or if there are any common problems I should look out for.
or if there are any common upgrades done to the 1st gen that I should try to find already done to the bike I want to purchase

thanks a lot to everyone that takes the time to help me out, I hope to join you on the road with a gen 1 within the next few months
(ᵔᴥᵔ)
Let’s make this simple. Get the vmax. I’ve always wanted one. I finally got a good deal and scored one. And I smile so happily every time I ride it. Go get it.

Hi everyone 。◕‿◕。

(ᵔᴥᵔ)

Okay, For "Power Cruisers" a Vmax or V65 Magna will do the trick! Downsides to a Gen1 vmax is the electrical system is extremely limited and dated. The V65 magna also has the "Cam Issue" which is the biggest reason why I sold mine 14 years ago. I also can't stand the fact that both bikes have a fairly small gas tank with the fuel light coming on at ~90miles on the vmax, and ~110 miles on the V65. I prefer 6 gears over 5, and I'm still looking for the damn 6th gear in every vmax I ride! For ease of use, and "care free maintenance" I would go with early 2000's 1800 VTX. I like the looks of the M109R, but I don't trust suzuki's engineering, and their motors have issues. The VTX on the other hand would be PERFECT! For the $3-5k you will always find a better quality 1800 VTX on the market than a first gen Vmax. But no other bike out there has the looks that a Vmax does. No other bike will accelerate the way a Vmax does!

Okay, For "Power Cruisers" a Vmax or V65 Magna will do the trick! Downsides to a Gen1 vmax is the electrical system is extremely limited and dated. The V65 magna also has the "Cam Issue" which is the biggest reason why I sold mine 14 years ago. I also can't stand the fact that both bikes have a fairly small gas tank with the fuel light coming on at ~90miles on the vmax, and ~110 miles on the V65. I prefer 6 gears over 5, and I'm still looking for the damn 6th gear in every vmax I ride! For ease of use, and "care free maintenance" I would go with early 2000's 1800 VTX. I like the looks of the M109R, but I don't trust suzuki's engineering, and their motors have issues. The VTX on the other hand would be PERFECT! For the $3-5k you will always find a better quality 1800 VTX on the market than a first gen Vmax. But no other bike out there has the looks that a Vmax does. No other bike will accelerate the way a Vmax does!

FYI, with Sean Morleys muscle jet kit, its VERY possible to get 40 to 45 mpg. With 75% highway and 25% intown, I would get 41+.

Hi everyone 。◕‿◕。

(ᵔᴥᵔ)

The VTX on the other hand would be PERFECT! For the $3-5k you will always find a better quality 1800 VTX on the market than a first gen Vmax.

I test rode two VTX 1800 bikes. First was from the dealer in 2005. Second one I drove a few hours to test ride just before COVID and had the $2,500 cash. The rev limiter kicks in way too early for me at 5700. I passed just on that fact alone. You can modify it a bit and get an extra 500 RPM, but still - I'll take the Vmax's 9,500 redline.
The OP wants the lightest power cruiser... That is not the VTX 1800 as it weights 800 pounds!

Yamaha is the top-scoring brand for reliability, followed by Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki, per a customer survey by Consumer Reports.

Last edited:
FYI, with Sean Morleys muscle jet kit, its VERY possible to get 40 to 45 mpg. With 75% highway and 25% intown, I would get 41+.

How fast are you cruising on the highway and how lean is your idle setting? Best I’ve gotten is 35mpg with Sean’s kit but I may still need to tweak some things. I cruise at 80-90 mph at times

How fast are you cruising on the highway and how lean is your idle setting? Best I’ve gotten is 35mpg with Sean’s kit but I may still need to tweak some things. I cruise at 80-90 mph at times
80ish. The needles control mileage.

Wow! i really appreciate all the quick responses. It is great to see theres a nice community for the bike, and It has given me the confidence to know the VMAX is the right bike to purchase next 🥳

Look at the Indian Scout.

Good power, quite a bit lighter than a Gen 1 VMax.

I see used ones for around 7K.

Ive been a Vmax guy forever. Finally got a 2000 Gen 1 but sold it in 05 when my son was born. Always swore Id get a Gen 2 if they ever made one. They did.
Picked up a used/modified 09 in 2011. Big Air kit, wide wheel kit, Nash Flash etc.
Bought a 2014 KTM SuperDuke brand new in 15, put on a Full akro exhaust, Rottie air box, tuned etc.

Gen 1 max is a fun bike. but "FOR ME" I doesnt hold a candle to the Gen 2. handling, power, quality etc are all better on the Gen 2. IMO. If you disagree fine. I feel otherwise.

The Gen 2 VMX is heavy, you sit low, it hauls ass, and it attracts attention. Handling is good despite how big and heavy it is. Crazy powerfull and smooth at any RPM. Downside is range. Its gets old finding gas every 80 miles or so and if you are in the mountains where gas isnt around every corner you have to plan or push (kidding, someone has to bring you gas there is NO pushing the gen 2 anywhere).

The KTM is half the weight and feels even lighter. Its nimble as FK, and if it didnt have wheelie control it would be a death machine LOL. Has more than twice the range before you need gas vs the vmax. Downside is at lower RPMs in higher gears it can vibrate like a harley. 6th gear was a bit annoying unless you were doing 90+.

I had 5 bikes for the last 5 years including an 08 BKing and the SDR and Vmax were the last two standing. I swore I would never sell either one. Unfortunately I had to sell one recently because I needed $$$ for other things. I decided to sell the KTM simply because when my finances right themselves again, I will buy a NEWER SDR and it will be a better bike than the 14 I had. IF I sold the Vmax, no matter what year I get again, it would be the same exact bike except for color. After putting the 200 rear tire on the bike, no regrets with my decison.

In the twisties, mountain roads etc, Track Days, the KTM is King. Its an amazing performance bike that isnt hard to ride and has a pretty comfy sit upright position, good legroom, but it IS TALL. It has a very "dirt bike" feel. Easier to put bags on it for trips too. I put 7000 miles on the KTM and has ZERO issues. Didnt anticipate any either. It was a solid bike.

As a daily driver, cruiser, car show bike etc, Vmax rules. Its no slouch on the back roads (with the 200 wheel) and I still love riding it. Trips, highway cruising, Vmax is a little smoother, but you are stopping for gas 2-3x as much. Yamaha quality and reliability is top notch IMO.

Bking was a cool bike. Motor was amazing but didnt have the bottom end of the other 2 and the suspension (at least on mine) didnt have the adjustment and wasnt that great. Nevertheless it was a FAST bike. Just different fast.

Bking is like a sling-shot
KTM a catapult.
Vmax is like a gorilla grabbing you by the neck and throwing you down a hallway

Latest posts

Back