Gen 1 in 2020

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cruise.png
Light weight is all relative. I also ride a Honda ST1300. When I get off that bike and onto my Vmax, I feel like I'm riding a small nimble sporty bike :)

Get a Gen 1, and add some cruiser accomodations and you'll be riding the king of the cruisers (and will weigh way less that a lot of the heavy behemoths out there by cruiser standards).

'Cruiser' list;
-comfy handlebars
-highway pegs
-comfy seat
-get the sucker on radial tires for a great ride and handling along with suspension work

'Go time' list for when the cruising is over and it's time to get busy;
-get jetted properly
-keep Vboost for the best low end torque and high rpm operation
-again, radial tires to get if off-the-line compared to bias ply tires
-solid motor mounts; tight and straight handling will let you explore the twisties and the +100mph runs while leaving other cruisers in the dust
-lithium battery (easy way to dump nearly 15 lbs off of the bike). I changed from an Odyssey to a 1.9 lb lithium battery and could not be happier about the performance of it and the weight loss

A gen 1 (properly setup), even in 2020, is something to be reckoned with in the cruiser world.
I've never had any cruiser give me any trouble out running or out handling them. And most won't even try as this bike has held on to its age old reputation and right there makes you win by default :)

Vinnie

Last edited:
A gen 1 (properly setup), even in 2020, is something to be reckoned with in the cruiser world.
I've never had any cruiser give me any trouble out running or out handling them.

Absolutely.

I rarely have much trouble with any bike that isn't a 1000 cc or greater sport bike.

I've never had any cruiser give me any trouble out running or out handling them. And most won't even try as this bike has held on to its age old reputation and right there makes you win by default :)

Vinnie

The Harley owners in New Mexico never got that memo. They think their Screaming Eagle converts can keep up. Not one Harley, including a modded VRod ever passed the Gen 1 Max.

View attachment 72863
Light weight is all relative. I also ride a Honda ST1300. When I get off that bike and onto my Vmax, I feel like I'm riding a small nimble sporty bike :)

Get a Gen 1, and add some cruiser accomodations and you'll be riding the king of the cruisers (and will weigh way less that a lot of the heavy behemoths out there by cruiser standards).

'Cruiser' list;
-comfy handlebars
-highway pegs
-comfy seat
-get the sucker on radial tires for a great ride and handling along with suspension work

-get jetted properly
-solid motor mounts; tight and straight handling will let you explore the twisties and the +100mph runs while leaving other cruisers in the dust
-lithium battery (easy way to dump nearly 15 lbs off of the bike). I changed from an Odyssey to a 1.9 lb lithium battery and could not be happier about the performance of it and the weight loss

Vinnie

While I appreciate your enthusiasm about our favorite power cruiser, your optimistic estimation of weight-loss due-to use of a lithium-ion battery is off, by a multiple of nearly three. Check-out this thread: battery

I do agree that going with radial tires is the best improvement you can make for handling. I've repeatedly made that comment.

The easiest weight losses are a set of lighter wheels, with radial tires, losing the center stand, and changing-out the full exhaust.

VMax lead-acid battery weight (1).jpgVMax Li-ion battery weight (1).jpg

While I appreciate your enthusiasm about our favorite power cruiser, your optimistic estimation of weight-loss due-to use of a lithium-ion battery is off, by a multiple of nearly three. Check-out this thread: battery

I do agree that going with radial tires is the best improvement you can make for handling. I've repeatedly made that comment.

The easiest weight losses are a set of lighter wheels, with radial tires, losing the center stand, and changing-out the full exhaust.

Weight is only really an issue when you are trying to manhandle the bike of trying to change direction quickly at speed.

Whilst lighter wheels will have the benefit of lower unsprung weight and reduce the gyroscopic effect it will only save some 10lbs (OE v. Dymags).
I also have to disagree with Mr Medic 'that going with radial tires is the best improvement you can make for handling.' Unless you have good suspension i.e. correct spring rate for the rider, effective damping and static sag set then no matter what tyres you put on they can't perform anywhere near their potential.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go that route but there are other improvements that should be made first.

I can also see the benefit of loosing some weight but even if you loose (say) 30 lbs that's only just ove 5% of the mass of the bike and IMO not something the average rider would notice. As a side note you will loose some 20lb going from a full tank to hitting reserve...do we really notice a significant difference?

Going back to Mr TravisAnthony07's question of 'lightest and fastest' then there are other more modern bikes that probably would meet those criteria better than the Gen I. I have no experience of them and my advice would be to try to ride those on your short list to see which you prefer.

BUT....

The Gen I is still an excellent machine with very few issues that probably not been dealt with at this late stage in its life.
The majority of parts are still available and provided it has been looked after pretty much bullet proof.
If you buy a bike in original condition you do need to remember it was introduced some thirty five years ago and the motor back to the early eighties. Frame design was still mild steel duplex and the suspension, er, basic. The electrics are functional and reliable although there may be age related issues.
If you are prepared to throw some money at it you can get it to handle better than most riders can take advantage of and unless you have death wish or fancy loosing your license has more than enough power.

Alternatively look for a machine that has had suspension and wheel upgrades; better front calipers are also desirable.
An aftermarket full exhaust is a nice to have.

A meander through this site will give you some idea of the issues you may face and give you some idea what to look out for if you decide to go for a Max.

You also have in this site a wealth of knowledge and people who are happy to offer advice.
What's not to like?

View attachment 72866View attachment 72867
Interesting........
My old Odyssey was weighing 15 lbs. My new Deltran lithium weighed in at 1.9 lbs. So I guess some people may save less depending on what battery they were changing from and to, but for me I saved around what I had stated (15lbs-1.9lbs = saved 13.1 lbs).
Vinnie

View attachment 72866View attachment 72867
Interesting........
My old Odyssey was weighing about 15 lbs. My new Deltran lithium weighed in at 1.9 lbs. So I guess some people may save less wieght on the battery change depending on what battery they were changing from and to what, but for me I saved around what I had stated (15lbs-1.9lbs = saved 13.1 lbs and I just rounded up to 15 lbs).

Not too sure what battery that is that you're showing that weighs 8.6 lbs, and if it's a liquid or AGM. My Odyssey was a PC680. In fact, the factory site lists the PC680 at 15.4 lbs

Vinnie

It's a Yuasa OEM battery. Yes, I thought someone might have the Morley Gold Wing box mod so there was the possibility of a heavier than OEM battery, which the Odyssey apparently is. In the larger Gold Wing size, the disparity would be even-greater.

MaxMidnight's observations are points worth-mentioning. The cost of 'going to radial tyres' (a nod-to MM's country of origin) is considerable. Setting a bike up for your personal use also involves a number of personal adjustments: handlebar height and angle, and the actual bend; position of levers so you can easily operate 'em, and perhaps a replacement of OEM levers for adjustable-reach levers for those with smaller hands; position of the shifter lever and the rear brake lever; seat height for security of being stopped on the bike, a very-important consideration for those of lesser-height; headlight adjustment for beam reach; mirrors adjustment: I always watch my mirrors at a traffic light, for inattentive drivers closing rapidly, a good reason to leave the bike in-gear, in-case you have to pull to one side or the other, 'splitting' the lane to avoid being rear-ended.

Then it's time to look at MM's criteria: static sag, damping (easier on some bikes than others), and spring rates. Two relatively easy things you can do to our front ends: more or less air pressure in the air forks, and changing the spring load with a length of PVC pipe, in-place of the steel sleeve. You can also go to a different weight fork oil. You can use the progressively-wound, Progressive Suspension fork springs and their lowering options, or Race Tech straight-rate springs, sized to your ready-to-ride weight and style of riding; RICOR or Cartridge Emulators; and a fork brace. I've never-felt the need for a steering damper on our bikes. They're available.

The OEM rear shocks have damping adjustments. People who like the qualities of different rear shocks, with better adjustability, and spring rates able to suit their weight and riding style, are willing to-spend the $ to upgrade.

I stand-by my claim that the largest improvement in the dynamic abilities of our designed in the early 1980's bikes is to throw-on a set of radial tyres (another nod to MM for his worthwhile advice). Let's say that you choose the less-expensive way to get-there, you find a decent used larger rear wheel, or you buy one modded from someone like Sean Morley or me, or you go whole-hog and buy two new wheels wide-enough and large-enough to accept modern sportbike rubber. Ride a radial tyre-equipped bike in a 1:1 comparison with a bias-ply bike, and you will leave the comparison figuring-out how-to do it to your bike. Especially at higher speeds, the precision of the radial tyres makes a huge difference, it becomes very-apparent upon cornering whilst at-speed.

Last edited:
I just did 1300 miles in 5 days on my Gen II in the mountains of Va/WVa which included a good bit of highway to get there and back. First time Ive taken this bike on the yearly trip. I spent a few weeks riding locally and trying to dial in the suspension and I was shocked how fast and well I could ride this bike in the mountains. Thoroughly happy with this bike. IVe done rides like this on the KTM SDR and my 05 FJR and the Vmax was overall the most comfortable (as far as this 53 yr old man feels) doing it. SDR is still better in the turns etc but the Vmax was more comfortable on the highway and in the seat. No regrets keeping this bike over all the rest.

Ive been a Vmax guy forever. Finally got a 2000 Gen 1 but sold it in 05 when my son was born. Always swore Id get a Gen 2 if they ever made one. They did.
Picked up a used/modified 09 in 2011. Big Air kit, wide wheel kit, Nash Flash etc.
Bought a 2014 KTM SuperDuke brand new in 15, put on a Full akro exhaust, Rottie air box, tuned etc.

Gen 1 max is a fun bike. but "FOR ME" I doesnt hold a candle to the Gen 2. handling, power, quality etc are all better on the Gen 2. IMO. If you disagree fine. I feel otherwise.

The Gen 2 VMX is heavy, you sit low, it hauls ass, and it attracts attention. Handling is good despite how big and heavy it is. Crazy powerfull and smooth at any RPM. Downside is range. Its gets old finding gas every 80 miles or so and if you are in the mountains where gas isnt around every corner you have to plan or push (kidding, someone has to bring you gas there is NO pushing the gen 2 anywhere).

The KTM is half the weight and feels even lighter. Its nimble as FK, and if it didnt have wheelie control it would be a death machine LOL. Has more than twice the range before you need gas vs the vmax. Downside is at lower RPMs in higher gears it can vibrate like a harley. 6th gear was a bit annoying unless you were doing 90+.

I had 5 bikes for the last 5 years including an 08 BKing and the SDR and Vmax were the last two standing. I swore I would never sell either one. Unfortunately I had to sell one recently because I needed $$$ for other things. I decided to sell the KTM simply because when my finances right themselves again, I will buy a NEWER SDR and it will be a better bike than the 14 I had. IF I sold the Vmax, no matter what year I get again, it would be the same exact bike except for color. After putting the 200 rear tire on the bike, no regrets with my decison.

In the twisties, mountain roads etc, Track Days, the KTM is King. Its an amazing performance bike that isnt hard to ride and has a pretty comfy sit upright position, good legroom, but it IS TALL. It has a very "dirt bike" feel. Easier to put bags on it for trips too. I put 7000 miles on the KTM and has ZERO issues. Didnt anticipate any either. It was a solid bike.

As a daily driver, cruiser, car show bike etc, Vmax rules. Its no slouch on the back roads (with the 200 wheel) and I still love riding it. Trips, highway cruising, Vmax is a little smoother, but you are stopping for gas 2-3x as much. Yamaha quality and reliability is top notch IMO.

Bking was a cool bike. Motor was amazing but didnt have the bottom end of the other 2 and the suspension (at least on mine) didnt have the adjustment and wasnt that great. Nevertheless it was a FAST bike. Just different fast.

Bking is like a sling-shot
KTM a catapult.
Vmax is like a gorilla grabbing you by the neck and throwing you down a hallway
I love the gorilla analogy.... that's hilarious.

There is nothing "light" about a VMax. Says so right there in the name "MAX". Meaning the maximum amount of shit they could bolt to a 2 piece frame.

That's easily fixed..... and would that not be Vmas?

Screenshot_20210324-174323.jpg

View attachment 72863

'Cruiser' list;
-comfy handlebars
-highway pegs
-comfy seat

-get jetted properly

Vinnie
What are the gas bypass rear shock specs? I assume they help with the rear passenger weight? Where would I find them please?

Cheers!

Last edited:
What are the gas bypass rear shock specs? I assume they help with the rear passenger weight? Where would I find them please?

Cheers!
Here's a link to Revzilla if you want to see what model they are, although I did not get my Ohlins shocks form them;
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ohlins-stx36-twin-rear-shock-yamaha-v-max-1200-1985-2005
I purchased them in Boulder, CO at Boulder Motor Sports | Ducati service, performance & care | Boulder CO
They are an authorized Ohlins dealer here locally.

.....oh, and the gas shocks are not for helping with weight. The gas is nitrogen for preventing cavitation. The springs are for the weight support and will vary depending on what weight you specify when ordering. Ohlins puts specific springs on the shocks to accomodate your riding style and weight;
https://www.zedlingsuspension.com/gas-charged-shock-absorbers-whats-entire-gimmick/
Vinnie

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

How did this affect the ride dynamics for you, and was this added in part due to carrying rear passengers on a regular basis?

Yamaha bought Ohlins years ago, as far as I know, they still-do own it. There are different models of the shocks, but they are among the best you can buy.

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

How did this affect the ride dynamics for you, and was this added in part due to carrying rear passengers on a regular basis?
The ride is fine. Not total 'luxury' as my ST1300 feels, but still rides quite well (sports car-like) and the handling is great (Ohlins shocks rear, HyperPro front springs/emulators, radial tires, solid motor mounts).
I did the shocks because my old Progressive Suspension shocks were worn, and just wanted something with more adjustments and 'fancier' back there.
*I don't usually ride with a passenger on this bike, so that was not at all the consideration in getting these shocks.

Vinnie

Öhlins bought back 95% in 1997 and sold Öhlins Racing AB to Tenneco Inc. in 2018.
Thanks for the update, I was too-lazy to check. Tenneco I know from reading Ward's Auto World and Automotive Industries is a big OEM supplier in transportation components, including suspension equipment.

Home Page | AI Online | (ai-online.com)

WardsAuto

Amaze your friends with your knowledge of the inner workings of the auto industry! I used to have subscriptions to hard-copies of each of these. Good places to bookmark for reading transportation products info. Create and win bar bets, drink for-free! 😝

If you browse through the available sites, you will see there is a brave new world of driver and vehicle monitoring coming. I posit that within the timeframe of Baby Boomers' lifespan, automobiles will be self-driving, with government ability to know where you (your vehicle) is/are at any given time (should make solving crimes easier), you will pay 'road-use fees,' assessed by the mile, and if you're behind on your vehicle lease plan, the finance company can disable your ride remotely until you settle-up.

I am in-favor of less electronic intervention (EI) in our transportation products, because it's just a plan to enforce EI as planned obsolescence. At Year 11 on your 'smart' transportation module of-choice, when sensors and software-controlled systems wear-out and stop being updated, they will be classified as 'outdated,' and will no-longer be required to be supported by the manufacturers. The switch is thrown remotely to disable your transportation, hell, it might-even-be able to leave your domicile, to report to the transportation electronics recycling center, think-of a blend of Soylent Green, The Fifth Element, and I, Robot. There already exist mass-harvesting hardware for license plates used by police departments, Greenies are calling for user fees for roadways all the time, even Republican US Congressman House of Representatives Carlos Gimenez (my Congressman in the U.S. H of R, someone I've met due-to our shared work history) has announced he is in-favor of 'user fees' to-pay for infrastructure projects like repairs and maintenance of the country's roadways. With the push to embrace electric vehicles, as they become more-prevalent, gasoline and diesel fuel tax revenue will drop. How will those dwindling funds be replaced? 'Road-user fees!' You use a road, you pay by-the-mile, it's coming.

Software/hardware companies are currently-pitching and developing what is needed to accomplish all of this. Connected Cars Will Change the Way We Drive | WardsAuto

Auto Shanghai 2021: ZF is Driving Intelligence for Software-defined Vehicles | AI Online | (ai-online.com)

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited:
Back