Gen 1 Radiator Trim Trivia

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radioguylogs

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to remove one of the plastic sides off of my Gen 1 radiator to fix a cracked reflector.

Naturally, it's a good time to take it to the sink and wash all the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush.

When I was done, I was disappointed to observe some white areas on the aluminum trim below the reflector.

I looked closely and discovered the aluminum had a plastic film over it. It looked like a protective film to prevent scratches during the manufacturing processes. I removed the film. Unfortunately, the aluminum surface was still not homogeneous, so I tried a little Mother's polish on it. Then the white areas became shiny and the other areas were not. It seems like it had a clear coat, and the clear coat had failed in the trouble spots. I removed the aluminum piece, wet-sanded it with 320 grit, and then polished it with Mothers. It looked nice, so I put it back on and ordered a replacement for $13.

Meanwhile the other side of the radiator looks like new and it also has a plastic film.

When I got the replacements (I ordered both sides), I could see the same plastic film with a couple of bubbles where there were imperfections under the plastic. I rubbed my fingernail on the plastic film and could see scratches in the gloss level. I think it was not meant to be the OEM finish. I decided to remove the plastic. There seems to be a thin clear coat on the aluminum, so I think the plastic was only there for protection.

I'll bet most of other Gen 1 members still have the original plastic film on your radiator trim.

What do others think? Is it supposed be removed? I removed it from both sides on my bike.

The plastic film is standard. We've made stainless inserts in the past and I think I still have the file to make more of them.

Attachments

• Radiator Inserts.JPG
    Radiator Inserts.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 37
polished copper inserts would look cool, but would need polishing regularly

It is normal for manufacturers to put a protective film over bright metalwork and this would normally be removed at P.D.I.

There is a clear coat to protect and preserve polished surfaces. Nyalac maybe ?

Latest posts

Back