• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gen 1 stock backrest-grab bar?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Is there a piece (grab bar) like that can bolt in place of the backrest when you choose not to use that? And.... if so, does anyone have one they want to get rid of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closest part is a grab bar from a Virago which is a little taller than a stock vmax grab bar but still shorter than the vmax sissy bar.
I believe this link is to the correct virago bar: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382285137071
So does the top peice of that mount /fit the oem backrest peice? So you wouldn't have to remove the lower portion?
I recall a post about taking the top off and not being able to get back on without removing the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

So does the top peice of that mount /fit the oem backrest peice? So you wouldn't have to remove the lower portion?
I recall a post about taking the top off and not being able to get back on without removing the whole thing.

Looking at the picture of the virago it appears to be the correct one, Sean or others should be able to confirm, since I am not 100% positive of fitment.

Very nice, thank you for that info. I think perhaps I will try that and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To use the mid 90's Virago short riser you must already have the standard backrest assembly. You'll need to sand down some of the ends where it nests into the side rails so it will let the bolts line up. If you look closely you'll see the casting line where the factory used it to help them do that trimming.

We also make a modified Virago riser with a pad for a nice look that is still functional.

Alternatively, you can weld on the Virago riser to the stock grabrail with some modifcations to both. I've only done that a couple of times but it looks pretty cool too.

The HAC backrest is a quick removal design that still sits similar height to the OEM backrest but keeps the stock grabrail (it requires the removal of the reflector which is where those bolts attach). I have one of these (with the optional rack).

Attachments

• HAC Backrest.jpg
    HAC Backrest.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Low rise backrest installed.jpg
    Low rise backrest installed.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Low Virago Riser.jpg
    Low Virago Riser.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20150116_140428_164.jpg
    IMG_20150116_140428_164.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20150116_140925_890.jpg
    IMG_20150116_140925_890.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 31
To use the mid 90's Virago short riser you must already have the standard backrest assembly. You'll need to sand down some of the ends where it nests into the side rails so it will let the bolts line up. If you look closely you'll see the casting line where the factory used it to help them do that trimming.

We also make a modified Virago riser with a pad for a nice look that is still functional.

Alternatively, you can weld on the Virago riser to the stock grabrail with some modifcations to both. I've only done that a couple of times but it looks pretty cool too.

The HAC backrest is a quick removal design that still sits similar height to the OEM backrest but keeps the stock grabrail (it requires the removal of the reflector which is where those bolts attach). I have one of these (with the optional rack).
Sean, what is shown in the second to last photo? And do you have anymore?

The second to last picture and the last picture show the riser that was welded to a stock grabrail and custom pad that was made to match. I have only done a couple of them and can do another if desired though it's not a super cheap way to go.

The second to last picture and the last picture show the riser that was welded to a stock grabrail and custom pad that was made to match. I have only done a couple of them and can do another if desired though it's not a super cheap way to go.
Thanks Sean, I'll email you when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I think that may be the ticket for me.

Latest posts

Back