Gen 1 Stock front tire choices?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85vmax

Reaction score
I joined your site to find some info....and I went through most of the treads and came up empty....

One quick question, and one quick answer may help me make my decision.
Anyone tried a 100/90/18 up front?

I Want to go with their 170/80/15 Pirelli Route ME66, but to match the front. they only offer a 100/90/18. (any experience with these tires?)

I assume a thinner tire will quicken up the steering, but will it affect high speed stability, or is it too thin? (I'll run it up over 135-140mph every chance I get)
Also I heard the 120 up front may contribute to the front end wobble, and slow up the steering some?

I ride the Max harder than I ride my FZ1..... and will scrub the peg on the right and the kickstand on the left if the corners right.

10K miles ago I ran the OEM Qualifiers..and they did me good....did the 2nd half of that 10K with a Shinko 170 on the back, need to replace both now.

Any imput is welcome.

i haven't but i know a few guys have run a 100 up front. no issues to report yet. i know sean (morley) has done it..

Rollie...are the Metz that much better? I can get a set of the Pirellis for the cost of the Metz rear tire.
Pirelli also owns Metzler, so I would think compound would be similar. Not being a pain, but I go through tires pretty good, and need the best bang for the buck.
I run the Diablo's on my Fz now and swear by them even though they are pricy.

I'll take a look for the Metz at the Superstore to seee what ther going for.
Thanks.

I have the Metz 880 s on my Royal Star custom , but it is slower & heavier than my maxes. They wear very well and let me lean it until the floorboards spark with no problems to date. If you have Pirellis and are happy with 'em , I would stick with 'em. If you go through a lot of tires in a short time , you might want to see how long the Metzs' last.

I run R-1 brakes with 17" Radial Michelin Pilot Power 2CT s on the '98 Max and like them a lot . I used to slide the rear on hard stops when I had a Shinko back there. I had to hit it hard today from about 60 mph to avoid eating a Jeep Laredo that stopped in front of me for no reason and all I heard was a quick couple of chirps and we came to a stop right then. Minimum straight sliding , no swerving , just excellent grip. So , since I didn't have to chew on that Jeep , I was a very happy camper.

:punk:

You GUYS ARE FRIGGING AWESOME ! .. I JUST ORDERED A REAR MARATHON 880 170/80/15 FOR $140.99 & A FRONT MARATHON 880 110/90/18 FOR $111.99 , FREE SHIPPING , SO THATS $252.98 TO MY DOOR ! .. AWESOME ! ... THANKS GUY'S ! ... :punk:.. :clapping:

All I ever ran on my 88 I just sold was the 100 & I really liked it. I ran both the Shinko & a metzler. I like the Shinko's as good as any tire I have tried on the Max.
If YOU MEAN THE FRONT TIRE , 100 VS. 110 , I WENT TO THAT SIZING WEB-SITE AND A 110 IS 25.795 TALL & A 100 IS 25.087 TALL THATS JUST ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH , OVER-ALL HIGHT DIFFERENCE , SO MY BIKE WOULD BE HALF OF THAT LOWER IN THE FRONT , MY BIKE IS ALREADY LOWERED 1'' IN THE FRONT AND IF I'M NOT CAREFUL , MY BELLY-PAN SCRAPES SOMETIMES , SO THATS WHY I WENT WITH THE STOCK FRONT TIRE SIZE !

If YOU MEAN THE FRONT TIRE , 100 VS. 110 , I WENT TO THAT SIZING WEB-SITE AND A 110 IS 25.795 TALL & A 100 IS 25.087 TALL THATS JUST ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH , OVER-ALL HIGHT DIFFERENCE , SO MY BIKE WOULD BE HALF OF THAT LOWER IN THE FRONT , MY BIKE IS ALREADY LOWERED 1'' IN THE FRONT AND IF I'M NOT CAREFUL , MY BELLY-PAN SCRAPES SOMETIMES , SO THATS WHY I WENT WITH THE STOCK FRONT TIRE SIZE !
My bike was lowered 2 inches in the front but I did not have a belly pan. I did have to watch the pipes some though. I just liked teh 100 better one of them personal preferance things though.

i JUST WENT OUT IN MY TRAILER & SCOPED OUT MY FRONT TIRE , A SMALLER ONE WOULD LOOK GOOD BUT THEN I WOULD HAVE TO LOWER THE FENDER TOWARD THE TIRE ALSO , BECAUSE IN MY OPINION , THE FRONT FENDER SHOULD BE CLOSER TO THE TIRE AS IT IS ( STOCK ) , SO IF I WENT WITH THE SMALLER TIRE I WOULD DEFINITELY HAVE TO LOWER IT & THAT MIGHT TURN INTO A WHOLE OTHER " CAN OF WORMS " ! .. :confused2: .. :rofl_200:

Some good imput...thanks...just didn't make it any easier. Was going with the Shinkos, but that back tire was sticky at first and halfway worn it was rock hard and just like Rollie said they'll lock up and your drifting every time you hit them too hard.

I'm also lowered 1 inch all the way around, and I'm already rubbing everything underneath so might have to stick to stock unless Capt Kyle can give me more feedback on the 100.

Thanks for the hook-up...no pun intended...cleared it up a bit, just need to make the decision.

I Just ORDERED MY DYNA BEADS ALSO , JUST CLICK ONTO " TIRE CHART " , THEN SCROLL DOWN TO " MOTORCYCLES " & FIGURE OUT HOW MANY ONCES YOU NEED FRONT & BACK FROM YOU TIRE SIZES , AND THEN CLICK ONTO " PRODUCTS & PRICING " & SCROLL DOWN TO MOTORCYCLES AGAIN , CLICK ONTO THE COMBINATION THAT YOU NEED & CLICK ONTO " ADD TO CART " AND THEN CHECK-OUT ! http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

Some good imput...thanks...just didn't make it any easier. Was going with the Shinkos, but that back tire was sticky at first and halfway worn it was rock hard and just like Rollie said they'll lock up and your drifting every time you hit them too hard.

I'm also lowered 1 inch all the way around, and I'm already rubbing everything underneath so might have to stick to stock unless Capt Kyle can give me more feedback on the 100.
I like the looks of the 100 & me personally I think it feels a little better in the front end. My bike was lowered 1 1/2 reaar and 2 in the front & I deffinately had to watch my Marks pipes on speed bumps & that kind of thing. Keep in mind I am in Florida & not a whole lot of curves in my area. I did drag pegs on tehones that are here though. If your already dragging every where I would go with the 110.

i JUST WENT OUT IN MY TRAILER & SCOPED OUT MY FRONT TIRE , A SMALLER ONE WOULD LOOK GOOD BUT THEN I WOULD HAVE TO LOWER THE FENDER TOWARD THE TIRE ALSO , BECAUSE IN MY OPINION , THE FRONT FENDER SHOULD BE CLOSER TO THE TIRE AS IT IS ( STOCK ) , SO IF I WENT WITH THE SMALLER TIRE I WOULD DEFINITELY HAVE TO LOWER IT & THAT MIGHT TURN INTO A WHOLE OTHER " CAN OF WORMS " ! .. :confused2: .. :rofl_200:

bill and i have used a delrin shop that charges $25 shipped for a set of spacers to lower the fender as much as you want. i went with .75" with the radial tire. worth looking into....?

bill and i have used a delrin shop that charges $25 shipped for a set of spacers to lower the fender as much as you want. i went with .75" with the radial tire. worth looking into....?[/QUOTE]
Thanks " GARRETT " , I'M GOING TO MEASURE IT ALL OUT WITH THE NEW TIRE & LOWER IT ! .. :punk:

I ALWAYS run the size tire made for the size wheel. I'm funny about that. I have two tires under me. I'm NOT taking ANY chances.

Chris

I like the looks of the 100 & me personally I think it feels a little better in the front end. My bike was lowered 1 1/2 reaar and 2 in the front & I deffinately had to watch my Marks pipes on speed bumps & that kind of thing. Keep in mind I am in Florida & not a whole lot of curves in my area. I did drag pegs on tehones that are here though. If your already dragging every where I would go with the 110.

Captain.....I'm in South Florida and not too many curves down here either, and I was also down 2 in front and 1 1/2 in back...bike handled great but the kerker was taking a beating.
Now at 1 inch all around its a bit better but if I can still scrub the pegs . I shoud heed your advice and use the 110.

BTW I found out the hard way that the left peg does not rub, the kickstand hits first.....went into a corner too hot the kickstand caught and flipped the rear over about a foot....scared the crap out of me.

Latest posts

Back