Gen. 1 suspension observations

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update..was also noticing a ton of fork dive when coming to a stop. Decided to double check my forks air pressure and they were quite low, if not at zero. Hand pumped them back up to around 10psi and the feel and control is mucho better now! Will look at progressive fork springs next (would like to eliminate the whole air pumping procedure) and gain some additional control up front..to begin with :)

Thanks all!

Greetings from Norway! This comment is about the original swingarm, not intended as a comment on what the owner of the nice Vmax in threadstart should do with his bike. I love the Vmax, and I was aware of the reputation of it having handling issues. So a part of how I "fooled myself" into buying one, was that I expected riding a Vmax would make it easier to keep my drivers license, as the Yamaha TRX 850 streetfighter I have been riding since 98' still was far too fun to ride fast. Even with the original chassi and the inherent limitations, speed soon picked up with the Vmax too. So just for the fun of the experiment, I tried to "fight speeding" with modifying for even worse handling, by making and installing rigid struts as a replacement for the rear shock absorbers. I expected to go back to rear shock absorbers after maximum three trips, as my bikes are for riding. The original brakes was very poor compared to what I was used with, so I swapped the original front end with a Suzuki TL 1000R fork, custom upper yoke, R1 discs, GSXR 600 calipers, Vmax brake pump and Vmax original front wheel. The brakes are now excellent. But the main result is that the bike became much more fun to ride, all wobble and flimsiness is gone. Riding turns are so fun, and in rural Norway were I live, the roads are excellent for fun riding. Short fork and struts with equal length of uncompressed original shock absorbers gave a steeper steering angle and it appears like I have found a "sweet spot" with respect to trail, the steering is quicker, yet the bike is stable at high speeds and I don't introduce any problems with hard braking either. The original high profile rear tire seems to deal sufficiently well with the bumps, and the bike follows the chosen line very well. Mid controls are also a success criteria on a hardtail. My point is not to argue that hardtail is better than good quality shock absorbers, obviously suspension is a good thing and invented for good reasons. But it appears like the handling problem of the original Vmax chassi is partly caused by a flexing swingarm. With struts, the rest of the frame becomes a brace for the swingarm, and the chassi became precise. So I guess reinforcing the swingarm, or replacing it with a stronger unit, is an important modification for improving handling? In combination with better rear shock absorbers. My Vmax will stay as a hardtail converted bike, as it is so fun, characterful and involving to ride in this strange version. Daytrips of 400 km have been tried without trouble. I am sure the Corbin seat is also a part of the success. It looks ridiculously low standing on the grass, but because of the rigid rear struts I have no lean angle issues. I call the bike "Locomotive", named after the 80' Electra glide nacelle :) The rear fender is a aftermarket fender from exactrep, I chopped it even more.Locomotive fra sida.jpgLocomotive skrått bakfra.jpg

I tried struts on the rear of one of my Blackbirds. Two rides were enough for me. Back to a suspension Honda designed.

Just an update..was also noticing a ton of fork dive when coming to a stop. Decided to double check my forks air pressure and they were quite low, if not at zero. Hand pumped them back up to around 10psi and the feel and control is mucho better now! Will look at progressive fork springs next (would like to eliminate the whole air pumping procedure) and gain some additional control up front..to begin with :)

Thanks all!
Sounds like you need to service your struts and replace the seals, not a difficult job. I had similar issues with my 92. Was a combination of the front brake grabbing and struts leaking. In the end a complete clean, service and seal replacement of both brakes and struts and my front end came good.
I don’t have them, but progressives sound like a great option if you don’t want to worry about fork pressure and get an even smoother front end ride.
Good luck

I think my Morley frame braces look good and add another level rigidity and responsiveness to my 2000. They also add another grab point and somewhat of a crash bar protecting my engine if my bike were to tip over or go down.
The solid mounts definately stiffened things up AND add a very noticable buzz in the pegs and handle bars. The view out of my mirrors is very blurred now. They do look good but am considering delrin to tame the buzz that loosened some bolts that fell out since adding the solid mounts. I am not worried as much of the engine moving in the frame as I am of the frame flexing when in the turns and I am worried less of who thinks my bike is ugly.....

Welcome to owning a 1st Gen V-Max! ;)
Mine is a 1990 with stock forks-n-brakes. If I recall, the first thing I did when I bought my bike was to swap to Progressive (brand) fork springs (no longer recall which rate mine has) & 15W fork oil. I don't use any air * in my forks...that just blows seals prematurely. Changing those two made a world of difference.

*BTW, regarding the air in forks thing...I had previously owned an old XJ750 with air forks. I learned on that bike that anything past about 8 LBS of pressure will blow fork seals if you ride hard. So instead, I changed to thicker oil. Then to stiffer springs, with thicker oil & no air...DING! :)

BTW, solid motor mounts are also highly recommended. You can sorta see mine from here, when I was last freshening the Aquamax in late 2013...

Attachments

• HPIM3372.JPG
    HPIM3372.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 16
Hi guys, finally have had a chance to put a few thousand kms on my new to me 2004. I'm starting to realize what / how the suspension and handling is feeling on this bike. It kind of just bounces its way through turns, steering feels heavy and needs lots of muscling around to keep a smooth line. I'm also feeling the effects of the prop shaft loading and unloading when coming on / off the throttle (which can be unsettling at times if thinking about it). I've got history of riding sport bikes (RC51, VFR800, R6) in the past, so I know how these bikes handle and the V-MAX is definitely a different beast for sure. I'm apx 200 lbs and have the suspension set as follows : fork air pressure 7 psi, rear shock preload at 2, dampening at 2, tires at 33 psi front, 36 psi rear, all stock components. Any suggestions on what can be upgraded / changed to help this machine out in the corners? I don't want to go as extreme as inverted forks, but have no problem changing the fork internals and / or rear shocks...

Thanks!

View attachment 84075
I definitely understand wanting to improve the suspension . I didn't want to break the bank but the mods I did really impressed me considering the weight and frame design. I like all styles of bikes but have tracked CBR and R1's in the past and knew my vmax would need upgrading if for no other reason than safety . The bike already had the fork brace. I installed the progressive 1 inch lower in the rear and slid the forks up 3/4 of a inch at first . I like the quicker steering but riding the dragon or Route 8 near me would bottom the suspension and the bouncy front had to go. I added stiffer front progressive springs with one inch drop and added even more stiffer adjustable progressive rears to match. I also added a 18inch rear wheel with a 190 tire from UFO which is starcycle now.. I lowered it for looks only. I really enjoy the bike more now and feel safer. The bike no way compares to my R1 nor was that the intention for cornering of course, but it puts a smile on my face trying. I forget the oil and pressure I use off hand on the front but there is plenty of info on it.

I have polyurethane mounts in mine. Love 'em. I also had bolt on frame braces, worthless, took' em off and sold them. I also got 18 inch rear and 19 inch front radials, prog front and adjustables in the back. Rides decent enough. This is not a lightweight sports bike but a nice cruiser.

I have polyurethane mounts in mine. Love 'em. I also had bolt on frame braces, worthless, took' em off and sold them. I also got 18 inch rear and 19 inch front radials, prog front and adjustables in the back. Rides decent enough. This is not a lightweight sports bike but a nice cruiser.
I have thought about the braces but fabricating them. I understand the design reasons but the poly bushings would definitely remove the flex. Like you said . Nice Cruiser

I have thought about the braces but fabricating them. I understand the design reasons but the poly bushings would definitely remove the flex. Like you said . Nice Cruiser
I don't use 'em, but I suspect Delrin bushings would be better than polyurethane for chassis flex. I think at one point CaptainKyle had some he was selling.

Hi guys, finally have had a chance to put a few thousand kms on my new to me 2004. I'm starting to realize what / how the suspension and handling is feeling on this bike. It kind of just bounces its way through turns, steering feels heavy and needs lots of muscling around to keep a smooth line. I'm also feeling the effects of the prop shaft loading and unloading when coming on / off the throttle (which can be unsettling at times if thinking about it). I've got history of riding sport bikes (RC51, VFR800, R6) in the past, so I know how these bikes handle and the V-MAX is definitely a different beast for sure. I'm apx 200 lbs and have the suspension set as follows : fork air pressure 7 psi, rear shock preload at 2, dampening at 2, tires at 33 psi front, 36 psi rear, all stock components. Any suggestions on what can be upgraded / changed to help this machine out in the corners? I don't want to go as extreme as inverted forks, but have no problem changing the fork internals and / or rear shocks...

Thanks!

View attachment 84075
I've got the same model. Make sure you get 43mm front springs if you change because the earlier models were 40mm. Also you will have to remove the forks to change the oil because for some reason they didn't fit drain screws on the later models. I still get a terrible shake at about 85Mph but not if the wife is sat on the back and adjusting the rear shocks seems to have an effect so new rear suspension will be my next move. Love this bike. It's everything a bike should be.

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back