Gen 1 Top speed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
I was wondering what people think the top speed is on a gen 1. I’ve read you can only get 143, but that number seems low since I’ve been a touch past that a couple times.

Bone stock speeds, and slightly modified speeds are what I’m interested in. No bottle, blower, turbo etc. just the more basic mods: exhaust, cdi, wheels, carbs, filters etc

My guess is 145-155, depending on rider weight and speedometer accuracy. I used to have a gear/speed/rpm calculator but can't seem to find that.

I can't get my win pep to open so I could see what the dyno recorded but I believe around 150-155 but my trans calculator shows 154 theoretical with the stock size tire.

Attachments

• Gen 1 Ratios.jpg
    Gen 1 Ratios.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 16
As I recall it was 149 mph which conveniently is the top speed for a V-rated tire. That figure was from factory data, as I recall, I'll check some of my road tests to see what the magazines have. I expect that is a 'drag-limited' speed in bolt-upright position. A set of drag bars, rear sets, and a 130 lb rider should see an appreciable increase in speed, w/no other changes. Maybe the aftermarket ram air system air scoops would work there.

Sean's chart w/the 18" wheel shows an interesting increase, maybe a bit more w/a narrower than 200 tire.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back