Gen 1 vs newer Porsche

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marauder03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was out riding the other day and was about to head home and figured I’d jump on the highway to blow the carbon out of the carbs. As I’m trying to merge on no one is letting me over so I had to accelerate past a few cars to where I encountered this Porsche, I don’t know what model, I do know it wasn’t a base type or boxer. Anyway I have to make a split second decision to either slow down and go behind him or speed up and go in front of him, well as I’m debating this which of course is in a nano second he takes off and and I was able to merge, well he stayed into it as well as I did and as I was gaining on him traffic appeared in front of him and he has to jam the brakes, I swung over a lane to slow down and went by him and was able to get off at the next exit. I saw my shift light come on at least 3 times as I was already on the highway, not sure how fast I was going but shit was blurry. I’m pretty sure if it was wide open he would have left me! Amazing vehicle and I’m sure it was pretty expensive compared to my 89 Vmax, I don’t recommend this behavior but sometimes I get sucked in and it’s like tunnel vision! Fangs come out and it’s on, the adrenaline rush is amazing. I’ll probably be scorned for this but it wasn’t intentional, it just happened. Be careful out there, things happen quick and dumb decisions can be made.

Same feelings here about the Fangs 😉

I was at a traffic light recently, making a right turn on red on to a four lane highway.

Low and behold, a Harley rider on a Breakout and rather large in stature, is in the left lane and gets on it.

Fortunately, for him, there was a vehicle three to four car lengths ahead of me in my lane.

I’m pretty confident he was aware of this, since I would have run out out ground fairly quickly before putting him to bed.

He ends up passing me and makes a left into a driveway and disappears.

I have multiple Harley Davidsons, but the Max is hard to beat.

Ride safe.

A current 4 litre Porsche 911 GT3 will hand a Gen 1 its come-uppance: naturally-aspirated (no turbo/supercharger) and >500 HP w/a redline like a VMax, 9,000 rpm. If you're foolish-enough to top-out, the Porsche has another 50 mph above that, stock. Actually, if we're speaking of claimed performance the automatic quick-shift GT3 is only another 48 mph, but who's counting?

Yes to the automatic quick-shift, but you can manually paddle-shift it if you wish. And, surprise! If you want to row the gearbox, you can order it that-way, and you gain another 2 mph on top-end. That does make it an even 50 mph above a Gen. 1.

Nearly 40 years-ago, I was riding my Honda DOHC 750F with a girlfriend on the back, and I merged onto I-95 with a 911 and when I nailed it, the 911 pulled-away. I soon sold the 750F, which I consider to have some of the most-beautiful lines of any bike, ever. I bought a '80 KZ1000 and two more later/newer air-cooled models after that, and that allowed more of an opportunity for merging into traffic on the expressway.

When a friend offered me a chance to buy his 1 year-old FZR1000, I sold my KZ1000's and bought that. I still have it, though I don't ride it as-much as I once did. In FL an antique tag is 35 years or older, so when the 2022's are out, I can apply for an 'antique' tag. A ten-second quarter-mile 'antique' sounds pretty-impressive. It was faster than the VMax, and quicker too. Then there's the time I was on the FZR1000, and the new Ferrari had just-been released. I pulled-up next-to a brand-spanking-new F40 at a traffic light in Ft. Lauderdale... .

2022-porsche-911-gt3-pdk-transmission.jpg

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, I was out on my 94 yellow Vmax. I pulled up at a traffic light beside a red Ferrari convertible. Older guy in the driver seat was getting down the road from his blonde trophy girl next to him. I mean she was giving him HE double hockey sticks. I tried not to pay attention, but she was pretty much screaming. He looks over at me and down at the bike as I’m looking at his car. Then he says to me “wanna trade? “

I said to him, “does she come with it? “

He says, “yes! “

Luckily, the light turned green at that moment and I said, “no thanks.”

And rode off.

About 10 years ago, I was out on my 94 yellow Vmax. I pulled up at a traffic light beside a red Ferrari convertible. Older guy in the driver seat was getting down the road from his blonde trophy girl next to him. I mean she was giving him HE double hockey sticks. I tried not to pay attention, but she was pretty much screaming. He looks over at me and down at the bike as I’m looking at his car. Then he says to me “wanna trade? “
I said to him, “does she come with it? “
He says, “yes! “
Luckily, the light turned green at that moment and I said, “no thanks.”
And rode off.
Any chance it was these two?
DJ Trump-Ivana.png

I was out riding the other day and was about to head home and figured I’d jump on the highway to blow the carbon out of the carbs. As I’m trying to merge on no one is letting me over so I had to accelerate past a few cars to where I encountered this Porsche, I don’t know what model, I do know it wasn’t a base type or boxer. Anyway I have to make a split second decision to either slow down and go behind him or speed up and go in front of him, well as I’m debating this which of course is in a nano second he takes off and and I was able to merge, well he stayed into it as well as I did and as I was gaining on him traffic appeared in front of him and he has to jam the brakes, I swung over a lane to slow down and went by him and was able to get off at the next exit. I saw my shift light come on at least 3 times as I was already on the highway, not sure how fast I was going but shit was blurry. I’m pretty sure if it was wide open he would have left me! Amazing vehicle and I’m sure it was pretty expensive compared to my 89 Vmax, I don’t recommend this behavior but sometimes I get sucked in and it’s like tunnel vision! Fangs come out and it’s on, the adrenaline rush is amazing. I’ll probably be scorned for this but it wasn’t intentional, it just happened. Be careful out there, things happen quick and dumb decisions can be made.
Some guys get all the fun.
Vmax is better suited.For short races.from a dead stop. Launch out of the hole.When they loose the first 100'. Most will stop trying.
Stay safe

Sorry, he said she was a blonde, Nancy's not.

Pelosi rips Trump.jpg

Did you know Joe's driven a Corvette for years (original owner of a '67), ever-since he was a senator, and before? The Secret Service wouldn't allow him to drive it, as VP or now, security. The Speaker of the House, as #3 in succession, has a security detail, and is chauffeured by them everywhere.

Last edited:
Hope you dont mind me jumping in here, but I think I can give a bit of input on comparing the two vehicles mentioned.

Every time I go out driving my 99 Vmax I get roped into some kinda short race, it must be peoples nature whether the “fangs” come out as I know other people who never get into any race. I’m just a sucker for getting wound up.

I’ve also got a 911 (997) naturally aspirated 4S manual 355bhp 3.8. comparing the two would be difficult as I believe they outperform each other at different speeds. I really do think the Vmax pulls away from a 997 up to about 120mph, but the porche goes into some kinda air void about 130mph and starts to rocket forward so hard the back end snakes. This surge goes right to 180 mph, only then it eases off. Official speed on 4S is 190 mph, but there is nothing to stop you going into the red line above about 7k rpm, so it easily does 195 plus a touch more, and you do not need a whole lotta road to get up to it. I’ve done it a few times now. I love both the car and bike equally and never tire of looking at them in the sun sitting beside each other. I describe Trigger (Vmax) as a beast in beasts clothing, and Big Tigger (Porche) as an assembly of atoms put together with perfection and extreme beauty that slips into warp speed at 4th gear.

Also the Porche has 4 wide tyres and large disk brakes, and the 4S can be yanked over hard with the steering due to the 4 wheel drive, helping it outperform bikes even on wide sweeping bend roads.

I was over in Germany and every car that passed me on the Autoban at extreme speeds were Porche’s, what a sight they are when really shifting. They are incredible cars to drive at low and high speeds.

Not long ago, my brother-in-law loaned me his Panamera while I was visiting the area for a week. He has a stable of exotics!

Late one night on the way home to where we were staying with my wife in the car on I40 in western North Carolina I had an open stretch with no traffic. Just for kicks come I bumped it up to about 150 effortlessly. My wife asked me if we were going a hundred. I just said yes.

Amazing. His stable includes a Noble, a Viper, a Europa, a Supercharged delorean (Which is still a dog), and an extensively modified Miata. I've had Several opportunities to drive them all.

Speaking of fangs 40555.jpeg

Not long ago, my brother-in-law loaned me his Panamera while I was visiting the area for a week. He has a stable of exotics!

Late one night on the way home to where we were staying with my wife in the car on I40 in western North Carolina I had an open stretch with no traffic. Just for kicks come I bumped it up to about 150 effortlessly. My wife asked me if we were going a hundred. I just said yes.

Amazing. His stable includes a Noble, a Viper, a Europa, a Supercharged delorean (Which is still a dog), and an extensively modified Miata. I've had Several opportunities to drive them all.
I just love the Viper to death, my favourite car is the Ford GT 40 then next to this is the Viper. Can't have any of them unfortunately, never driven them either, just like the look of them so much I've stared at them for probably a few thousand hours of my life!

Screwloose, you better-fix the spelling there! The POA group is gonna disown you!

desert_max, that's quite a collection, not too-many Nobles around. Current offerings: Home (noblecars.com)

I had a chance to buy a friend's Europa, but I passed on it. I like the body style and the hardware, though. The shop I used-to take my vehicles to, just closed-up during COVID, not to-reopen. Here's a shot of a Delorean being worked-upon, the shop owner was a Volvo mechanic, and also a Delorean mechanic, as they both use the same 3 litre engine along with Peugeot. No it was no fireball, not-until you added the Mr. Coffee fusion reactor. BTW, I happen to know the attorney who tied in Joe Dimaggio with Mr. Coffee. Joe lived here in S.E. Florida in the same city, by the Intracoastal Waterway as me, a bit-over a mile-away. Joe made more $$$ off his Mr. Coffee endorsement than he ever-did as a Yankees All-Star.

Speaking of Volvos, my W.VA friend I posted about in the VMaxforum members thread, has a P1800, yes like Roger Moore, The Saint. The crankcase was holed by a conn rod. He has a SN-95 Mustang running gear to drop-in but he's using a Boss 302 engine because the SN-95 OHC engine is too-wide.

Delorean.01.jpg

Last edited:
Screwloose, you better-fix the spelling there! The POA group is gonna disown you!
Duh, Just spotted it :p, it's the spell check on this website.........maybe.

I'm working on the PORSCHE just now (brakes and suspension), and had to ask my wife how to spell Carrera in the PORSCHE dealer, I thought they were going to kick me out the shop LoL. I've only had it 11 years, and when have you ever met an engineer that has good spelling LoL. :)

Drove a 70's Porche 911 back in the day. Reminded me so much of a VW Beetle. Especially it's lack of power to propel itself. Good thing they finally woke up to realize horsepower is a good thing.

Drove a 70's Porche 911 back in the day. Reminded me so much of a VW Beetle. Especially it's lack of power to propel itself. Good thing they finally woke up to realize horsepower is a good thing.
Definitely, they also sounded like giant vacuum cleaners. I would regularly say this to owners, and needless to say never got any birthday or Christmas cards from them in return.

Sorry, he said she was a blonde, Nancy's not.

View attachment 76648

Did you know Joe's driven a Corvette for years (original owner of a '67), ever-since he was a senator, and before? The Secret Service wouldn't allow him to drive it, as VP or now, security. The Speaker of the House, as #3 in succession, has a security detail, and is chauffeured by them everywhere.

It’s a good thing they are chauffeured everywhere.

Highways are much safer without them.

I was out riding the other day and was about to head home and figured I’d jump on the highway to blow the carbon out of the carbs...

Hey marauder, I don’t usually pic nits, (I leave that to fire medic 😅), but on this one I couldn’t resist. When we get out on the open road to blow carbon out, it’s not normally the carburetors that we’re concerned with, it’s the carbon buildup inside the combustion chambers that we want to get out of there. Most notably in the cylinder head area and on the piston crown.

I hate the term “back in the day”, but I’ll use it again here. Back in the day, when we had our big leaded gas V-8’s prowling the streets, you always knew when somebody nailed it because this brown cloud would come out the tail pipes. That was carbon, and it typically indicated somebody who didn’t nail it that often…

I can tell you right now, my Vmax probably acquires little to no carbon!

Last edited:
Here's the rule we use in MN on our sleds, which vary widely in tune, HP, torque, traction, etc, and operate on loose snow, hard pack, glare ice, etc. Hundreds of permutations there just like Porsches and Ferraris vs FZ's, VX's, etc, .....but the bottom line is this, the same as in a large share of racing sports : Hole shot and traction make winning a lot easier.

Less HP can hook up on glare ice or loose snow better than more HP. We used to take 85 HP lightweight sleds with good studding and perfectly tuned clutches against the baddest 150 HP "king of the lake" guys and kill them for 800 to 1000 ft if they didn't have their shit together. What really pissed them off is when we would let off at 800 ft and turn around looking for them. Back at the bar we simply said "the race was over".

Our rule is: "When in front the first one to let off wins."

Sadly, for the bike guys, traction control has taken all the skill out of it so the cars have an advantage.

One of my most memorable Vmax blasts was against a Porsche 911 around the I 275 Bypass around Columbus OH. Prolonged speeds at 130 and full twist when things were straight. That was in 86 on my 85. Good times.

Back