Gen 2 "Double D" clutch install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRWard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading several post, thought the "Double D" clutch mod was definitely a must.
Ordered the kit from Gurued Gear with the improved retainer ring. All pieces needed comes in the kit. Pretty easy install, so I took pictures.
Hope this helps anyone that might be considering.
2020-05-18 21.45.04_copy_1490x838.jpg
Loosen cover bolts in star pattern.

2020-05-18 21.48.01_copy_1490x838.jpg
Tap with hammer slightly to break loose, slide cover off.
* note different lengths short and long.
Loosen 6 spring retainer bolts in a star pattern.

2020-05-18 21.51.08_copy_1490x838.jpg
Bolts removed, OEM retainer and single OEM spring.

2020-05-18 21.53.42_copy_1490x2648.jpg
Upgraded retainer vs OEM retainer comparison.

2020-05-18 21.55.49_copy_1490x2648.jpg
Upgraded retainer and double spring installed, (OEM + new)
* note tabs lined up with retaining bolt holes.

2020-05-18 21.57.05_copy_1490x838.jpg
Used new bolts supplied in kit.
Snugging in star pattern to keep pressure evenly on springs.

2020-05-18 22.03.48_copy_1490x838.jpg
Torque to specs.

2020-05-18 22.04.20_copy_1490x838.jpg
Clean old gasket on cover, install new gasket, (included in kit).
Tighten bolts in star pattern.
Torque to specs.

Start and test, check for leaks.

Mine went smoothly.
Took less than 1 hour, longest part was cleaning cover for new gasket.

Last edited:
Just did this exact same thing but didnt mess with the last friction and half clutch. Still getting used to the clutch, it starts bitting a lot sooner. While mine only had at the time of ECU flash 3200 miles I never experienced clutch slip. I did take it for a ride before installing second spring/retainer just to see but maybe because clutches are basically still new. Oddly launching is easier because now i can feel the clutch come in sooner but maybe habit of how i release. Stock it seemed to cone in soon as there was a hint of engagement.

Just did this exact same thing but didnt mess with the last friction and half clutch. Still getting used to the clutch, it starts bitting a lot sooner. While mine only had at the time of ECU flash 3200 miles I never experienced clutch slip. I did take it for a ride before installing second spring/retainer just to see but maybe because clutches are basically still new. Oddly launching is easier because now i can feel the clutch come in sooner but maybe habit of how i release. Stock it seemed to cone in soon as there was a hint of engagement.

Wasn't aware the 2nd gen had the 1/2 disc. Thought it was only first gen.

Gen 2 does not.
Correct! Gen 2 doesnt have 1/2 plate.
Just needs the retainer ring upgrade (optional) and doubled up spring. No need to pull any clutch plates.

That's what I thought. Didn't see anything about it in the parts diagram, and didn't hear anything about it on the star site(before shut down), or on here. Somebody trying to spread misinformation, lol.

I agree, should have been a stiffer clutch, but what would we talk about or mod if it was OEM.

I remember the quote, "If it aint broke, dont fix it!"
But a better philosophy might be, "If it aint broke, how can we make it better or faster!". Lol lol

Back