Gen 2 Engine Development begins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your quick reply.
I suppose, that the modifications of the A.A.C and the cylinder heads are done on our own parts
. I understand that you are considering a slight increase in displacement: 1800cc.
From 1679cc you need 3mm more bore for 1790cc. I have even opened this engine several times over the past twelve years, and I don't think there is enough material for rigidity.
Increasing the stroke may be good for the couple. I think that for the Vmax, favoring a large torque at a rotation speed that is not too fast will be a good option.
You are the expert (I am only an amateur) when do you think?
Yes, the Cams are to be welded-up and retain the AAC. We are going from 1678.6cc to 1846.7cc with a combo of both bore & stroke. The compression ratio goes up as well. While all this goes up, we will do everything to lighten the crank, rods, pistons and valves. Everything I do has reliability and broad powerband in the goals. For racing down the strip, this should be a beast. For riding to work and back, I am hoping this will be quite manageable day-to-day. Those are the goals anyway.

Who do you have do the crank work? I used to use Falicon until they closed up some years ago.

Is there any progress on this project? I am always interested!

Is there any progress on this project? I am always interested!
So far we have a donated engine bottom end, a donated set of heads snd cams but no funding for parts or outside services. I just need that and I can continue.

Mike

I think it must be quite easy to find around ten contributors within the 1700 community.
The 1700s are not cheap motorcycles. Most owners can afford to invest several thousand dollars, to have a Vmax that is really out of the ordinary. And not in ridiculous carbon fiber parts that are as expensive as they are useless!
Just motivate them.

Any thoughts on just developing a cam and head design that can be used on the stock bottom end to start, maybe get you into the 215hp-225hp range ?? Thoughts ?? Is that something that can be done in house, using stock valves or larger aftermarket ??

Any thoughts on just developing a cam and head design that can be used on the stock bottom end to start, maybe get you into the 215hp-225hp range ?? Thoughts ?? Is that something that can be done in house, using stock valves or larger aftermarket ??
Certainly, 225hp at the wheel would already be a spectacular advance.
But with just AACs and cylinder head work, I think we'll move the torque into the red zone
that's not really the philosophy of the Vmax.
I'm curious to read Mike about it!

Ports are huge with small valves. I think a displacement increase is what needs to be done. I gave up and decided to pour my money in my drag car😲

Certainly, 225hp at the wheel would already be a spectacular advance.
But with just AACs and cylinder head work, I think we'll move the torque into the red zone
that's not really the philosophy of the Vmax.
I'm curious to read Mike about it!
What do you consider is be the "RED ZONE RANGE". Is there anybody getting that type of power with just a small shot of Nitrous already ?

What do you consider is be the "RED ZONE RANGE". Is there anybody getting that type of power with just a small shot of Nitrous already ?
For me, the Vmax 1700 is interesting in the intermediate zone between 3k and 8k rpm, the use in real life!
Taking 11k, 12k rpm to gain 30hp doesn't really interest me, I already have everything I need for that in my garage.
On the other hand, I am ready to invest money for more torque and therefore more hp mainly in the area of daily use.

For me, the Vmax 1700 is interesting in the intermediate zone between 3k and 8k rpm, the use in real life!
Taking 11k, 12k rpm to gain 30hp doesn't really interest me, I already have everything I need for that in my garage.
On the other hand, I am ready to invest money for more torque and therefore more hp mainly in the area of daily use.
"RED ZONE RANGE" is RPM range ! So maybe with some head work and cam design you can get a bump in both HP and Torque, I only suggested the head and cam package as a way to get this kicked off. Most of the named engine builders have these and I thought this could be done in house at a minimum cost. This thread has been going on now for a couple years !!

"RED ZONE RANGE" is RPM range ! So maybe with some head work and cam design you can get a bump in both HP and Torque, I only suggested the head and cam package as a way to get this kicked off. Most of the named engine builders have these and I thought this could be done in house at a minimum cost. This thread has been going on now for a couple years !!
I agree with you, it's a start!
But I already have webcams tree. working on the AACs always moves the torque towards higher RPMs.
Increasing the displacement and mainly the stroke is for me the best choice.
Of course, this requires the adaptation of the cylinder head, the AAC, ...,... So all this at a cost!
But, compare to what most Vmax owners spend on almost useless things: Akra sheet exhaust, Power Commander, Otec casing rims, carbon trim... for utopian dynos and distort the original Vmax line.
The staggering number of Vmax with over $10K worth of unnecessary stuff.
So, I think that finding a dozen owners motivated to have a truly extraordinary motorcycle that can be used on a daily basis, reliable, without NOS to recharge... Seems realistic to me.
And we are lucky that a real professional proposes to realize it!
So wake up! and communicate!

I agree with you, it's a start!
But I already have webcams tree. working on the AACs always moves the torque towards higher RPMs.
Increasing the displacement and mainly the stroke is for me the best choice.
Of course, this requires the adaptation of the cylinder head, the AAC, ...,... So all this at a cost!
But, compare to what most Vmax owners spend on almost useless things: Akra sheet exhaust, Power Commander, Otec casing rims, carbon trim... for utopian dynos and distort the original Vmax line.
The staggering number of Vmax with over $10K worth of unnecessary stuff.
So, I think that finding a dozen owners motivated to have a truly extraordinary motorcycle that can be used on a daily basis, reliable, without NOS to recharge... Seems realistic to me.
And we are lucky that a real professional proposes to realize it!
So wake up! and communicate!
So then maybe you should consider donating a little something to this project, so far there has only been a few to step up and contribute ?? Of course there is alot of interest and we all want to see an outcome but without more donations this will not get off the ground, just my opinion. Sounds like some that have donated already moved on because of the lack of progress, just saying !!

Last edited:
Not sure there's a correct answer so opinions are welcome.
Why wouldn't Yamaha have incorporated these improvements when the gen 2 was being engineered? Weren't these technologies available in years leading up to 2009?
If they'd released the gen 2 as a 300hp bike it would've been a shot heard 'round the world. I imagine it would've garnished the cover of every cycle mag and headlined every motoshow.
Engineers detuned the VMAX for production as it was shredding tires

I occasionally pop into this discussion to see progress being made. I love it. Cant wait to see how it turns out! If you can achieve 10% power gain over the Guru Tuned Max's and perform reliably over 1000 miles id be willing to put a deposit down! Im looking for "just a little more" without boost or spray and I think this is the ticket! Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• 20221021_135437.jpg
    20221021_135437.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221021_135227.jpg
    20221021_135227.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221021_135419.jpg
    20221021_135419.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I occasionally pop into this discussion to see progress being made. I love it. Cant wait to see how it turns out! If you can achieve 10% power gain over the Guru Tuned Max's and perform reliably over 1000 miles id be willing to put a deposit down! Im looking for "just a little more" without boost or spray and I think this is the ticket! Keep up the good work!
I wouldn't waste my time for under 20hp(10%) 25% or forget about it. Leave the thing stock. They are heavy and slow 20hp ain't going to do crap.

Back