Gen 2 Engine Development begins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 cost and quite possibly less reliability, which is on par when you push components to their limit.

Re. Penny pinching, a penny here, 10 pennies there soon adds up especially once you multiply by the volume of sales.

One thing that has always irked me was the pricing of cars, a 2.0 l was more expensive than the 1.6 model yet the difference is just slightly bigger holes in the engine block and correspondingly larger pistons, so not a huge difference in the amount of metal used, yet the price was significantly higher (yes I realise its marketing but still).

I'm sure there was a model of car that cost the same across the engine range but can't recall it.

+1 cost and quite possibly less reliability, which is on par when you push components to their limit.

Re. Penny pinching, a penny here, 10 pennies there soon adds up especially once you multiply by the volume of sales.

One thing that has always irked me was the pricing of cars, a 2.0 l was more expensive than the 1.6 model yet the difference is just slightly bigger holes in the engine block and correspondingly larger pistons, so not a huge difference in the amount of metal used, yet the price was significantly higher (yes I realise its marketing but still).

I'm sure there was a model of car that cost the same across the engine range but can't recall it.
If some is good, more must be better. Right? The OEMs will literally go with a different bolt if it’s $0.003 cheaper per bolt. Because, exactly as you say, it adds up over 10k parts purchased. A Ninja 250 sold nearly a million units. And it uses 35 of the same bolt. So, 35M x $0.003 saves a ton of money over the whole run

Attachments

• 28A29DB3-8B78-4828-B097-DF788D523E98.jpeg
    28A29DB3-8B78-4828-B097-DF788D523E98.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 7FD1132A-6AD3-4755-AA0E-B08FC2359744.jpeg
    7FD1132A-6AD3-4755-AA0E-B08FC2359744.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 33
  • 64AF9D02-AD65-4408-9EFF-24CE3D567FA1.jpeg
    64AF9D02-AD65-4408-9EFF-24CE3D567FA1.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 32
  • C73A482D-3417-4D62-AF04-057909520C49.jpeg
    C73A482D-3417-4D62-AF04-057909520C49.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 34
  • D45CB15C-B4C8-47CE-8C4E-1E7C30473988.jpeg
    D45CB15C-B4C8-47CE-8C4E-1E7C30473988.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 64939A01-60FB-4FDA-9311-E917A56495C4.jpeg
    64939A01-60FB-4FDA-9311-E917A56495C4.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Just saw your thread and very, very interesting. From a buyers and manufactures point of view, which are rarely the same. As you have covered.

What is your over all goal with your findings or do you just enjoy digging with your wisdom? Just curious cuz you have a hook in me😁

Just saw your thread and very, very interesting. From a buyers and manufactures point of view, which are rarely the same. As you have covered.

What is your over all goal with your findings or do you just enjoy digging with your wisdom? Just curious cuz you have a hook in me😁
Haha.
My goals are three-fold:
1). I love to increase my knowledge, capabilities and skills.
2). I love the V-MAX so I want to see it prosper.
3). I do own an engine development business. So, of course I want to get some business out of it 😃

OK, I'm curious, what do the different colours represent?

I notice the valves left back have less fillet. Up to now, I held the belief that thin head and less fillet was the best for performance regarding air flow, but having seen your photo and pondered over it, having some fillet will smooth out the air flow so that may actually be better.

Re. Fillet, the shiny (titanium) valves have virtually no fillet, sold as performance valves, whereas the others (Brand) have a lot more fillet, in black.

Screenshot_20211204-080250.jpg
Screenshot_20211204-080712.jpg

OK, I'm curious, what do the different colours represent?

I notice the valves left back have less fillet. Up to now, I held the belief that thin head and less fillet was the best for performance regarding air flow, but having seen your photo and pondered over it, having some fillet will smooth out the air flow so that may actually be better.

Re. Fillet, the shiny (titanium) valves have virtually no fillet, sold as performance valves, whereas the others (Brand) have a lot more fillet, in black.

View attachment 81585
View attachment 81586
Every head is different. Often it depends on the angle of attack of the port to the valve, and weather the air needs to fold under the head (nail-head), or gradually fill the port with a tumble motion (Tulip). We tried a nail-head…failed. This port wants tulip valves. But not too aggressive. We definitely lost flow with too much.

Every head is different. Often it depends on the angle of attack of the port to the valve, and weather the air needs to fold under the head (nail-head), or gradually fill the port with a tumble motion (Tulip). We tried a nail-head…failed. This port wants tulip valves. But not too aggressive. We definitely lost flow with too much.
The different colors represent different tests. We keep detailed notes in the computer and colors are how we keep track of each shape

Merry Christmas everyone. We've taken a slight break from development for the holidays. Don't think it's a long break. More to come in January 2022

How is the motor build coming ?
Just finished building my cam measuring stand. Will be running tbe and tomorrow to analyze the acceleration and jerk to see what cams I can get away with, and what springs will be necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.MOV
    23.5 MB
Just finished building my cam measuring stand. Will be running tbe and tomorrow to analyze the acceleration and jerk to see what cams I can get away with, and what springs will be necessary.
After that, we go back to the head porting development. I just got a (used) 5-axis CNC for head porting and intricate parts mfg. so, my time is divided learning the new machine.

next, it’s on to design the components (pistons, rods, valves, cams, etc. so, still a lot of work ahead of us.

After that, we go back to the head porting development. I just got a (used) 5-axis CNC for head porting and intricate parts mfg. so, my time is divided learning the new machine.

next, it’s on to design the components (pistons, rods, valves, cams, etc. so, still a lot of work ahead of us.

Good luck sir, keep us updated.

Latest posts

Back