Gen 2 exhaust questions for the collective

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage99

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Vmax I picked up a year or so go. Looking to finally make it mine with exhaust and performance changes. Lol. That said I have some ehaust and tuning questions for the collective.

I have read quite a bit on the forum and other websites. I am looking for something that is not too loud, but has a nice sound. Also looking to add a tune (maybe from Gurued Gears). All without breaking the bank. From what I understand:

1. Akrapovic is high quality with a nice sound, but very pricey for a slip-on system that gets rid of the catalytic converter. Tunes are available.

2. Hindle is the only one currently that offers a full system, but the quality has been hit or miss. Pricing is reasonable and Gurued Gears has a tune for it.

3. Voodoo and UFO are amongst the loudest exhausts and have tunes available. Read quality concerns about Voodoo.

4. I have seen an exhaust system from Star Rider Performance. They make a Twinstar 4-2 Slip On exhaust system that looks pretty cool. The price doesn't seem too bad, but I have seen any videos or reviews of its performance or sound. haven't seen if there is a tune for it either. if anybody has information, I'd be interested.

What is the difference in performance from the slip-on to the full system?

anybody have the Star Performance exhaust?

anything I am missing?

I had the Optimal Carbone x pipe with stock mufflers and the Guru tune. It was noticeably louder than stock but not all that loud, really. Decent.

But I hated the look of the stock mufflers and came across a like-new Hindle system on the forum. It’s pretty loud (like noticeably more than the x-pipe setup) but it has a really good tone, so that it encourages me to rip on it even more. I haven’t gotten an updated tune yet, but there is noticeably more power too.. SOTP dyno thinks 10hp or more. Definitely happy with it.

Side note, my Optimal Carbone x-pipe is for sale.

You can use the Akrapovic mid pipe to decat, keeping the original mufflers is another option ( I expect Tim at Gurued gear has a flash for that too)
I have this exact set up with Tim's flash. I didn't want it to change from the stock sound but it did in a good way. Sounds really mean but not obnoxiously loud. I also did the MAB with K&N and DD to the clutch. Awesome...

I do have new Hindles and Voodoo available. The Vance and Hines I used to sell but they are discontinued from my recall. The Hindle 4-1 is the best performing system (by 5-7%) when compared to the slip-on systems (either their own or any other brand). Darren Crays also makes a custom setup which I can get too. I also can get the Flash work done for you either on your box or an exchange.

I may have a used Akra system available soon but one side is damaged. Still functional but cosmetically bad.

I have also been looking at one of the star rider performance exhausts too. I believe the owner used to fabricate for UFO and went off on his own, but I don't want obnoxious or too loud.

I went with voo doo stainless, power commander, after it was properly done.
Im happy with the sound and performance.

Neighbors not liking it much at all. As its my daily transportation, rolling out at 3 am. We made a compromise, I roll it out to street before starting, as it would rattle windows in my neighbors home.
Love it!

Thanks for the feedback from those of you that replied. I ended up getting the Akra mid pipe and the nash flash for now. May send you a message Sean about used Akra slipons or other slip on options.

Last edited:
I went with voo doo stainless, power commander, after it was properly done.
Im happy with the sound and performance.

Neighbors not liking it much at all. As its my daily transportation, rolling out at 3 am. We made a compromise, I roll it out to street before starting, as it would rattle windows in my neighbors home.
Love it!

I am curious about what you mean by after it was properly done? Did you have problems with the power commander? Also, did you notice any HP loss with the Voo Doo? I am getting ready for an exhaust swap and was thinking about going the same route you did. Thx in advance....

A little late to the party. Also check out Dam exhaust, it has a nice deep noise and they come with baffles if you think it's too loud.

A little late to the party. Also check out Dam exhaust, it has a nice deep noise and they come with baffles if you think it's too loud.
WHERE CAN U GET THE DAM EXHAUST?? WELL I DONT MEAN IT THAT WAY!! 😁😁 I MEAN WHERE CAN I ORDER IT FROM?? I BELIEVE THATS THE BRAND THAT LOOKS STOCK RIGHT?

WHERE CAN U GET THE DAM EXHAUST?? WELL I DONT MEAN IT THAT WAY!! 😁😁 I MEAN WHERE CAN I ORDER IT FROM?? I BELIEVE THATS THE BRAND THAT LOOKS STOCK RIGHT?
Order from them directly. I email David at
[email protected]. i brought the full setup, he gave me discount on parts and shipping. About 2 to 3 weeks to made and shipment time is around 3 days.

20210412_102824.jpg35418.jpeg

I have a short recording of exhaust noise, but I dont know to share it.

Latest posts

Back