Gen 2 forward controls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrandall

Reaction score
Hi
Picked up 09 Vmax a little cramped for hips, anyone know of forward controls or any other options?

I got same problem and bought rear sets, now my knees are under scoops and no more pain in hips. Sato is expensive but quality is there, I can’t complain about anything. You get what you pay for. There is cheaper options too, but with any set remember to use thread lock of some sort.
https://satoracing.com/rearsets_vmax.htm

Thanks
But I was looking for a more forward relaxed position.

I seen pics somewhere gen 2 forward controls maybe on facebook and probably just the owner made them but looked good ... Gen 2 killed my hips and the nerve pain was too much
Yeah me too.
I may have to find another option or bike.

You don't need threadlocker anywhere when you torque bolts to specs. You risk breaking them when you have to take them out.

You don't need threadlocker anywhere when you torque bolts to specs. You risk breaking them when you have to take them out.
That’s bs, 10 nm and vibrations can loose nuts and bolts, go ask Harley guys if you don’t believe it. I have found H-D shifter pedal on the side of the road, lol.
Sato ships rear sets with threadlocker, just for looks right? It is totally removable without heat etc, just prevents bolts falling off from vibrations.
Even Yamaha uses threadlocker, and I have took those bolts out without breaking them. Quite a miracle.

It's not bs. We disagree and that is fine. I know Harleys quite well too, owned and built several.

Last edited:
You said you don’t need threadlocker anywhere yet manufacturers use it, part manufacturers recommend it and even ship their parts with it, please explain why those manufacturers throw away money using unneeded chemicals on their products? You saying you don’t need threadlocker on thread which is about mc control parts can be dangerous if some poor soul believes that and something happens. You can do whatever you like, spread your wisdom all you like I’m out.

Simple, threadlocker is for extra safety when you manufacture products on a big scale. Lockwashers, nylock and such can be used instead. If no suitable gizmo exists then you can use math and physics to calculate the max load. I am very detail-oriented and have built all my own things and customer vehicles this way for decades.

Factory way is not the right way in so many applications, it is just the cheapest way to achieve a technical goal. Sometimes the factory way is correct. That's how you spot a good quality control in a production line. It is healthy to question the obvious.

I personally don't bother with threadlocker anywhere except the starter clutch bolts. Most everything else on these bikes get a little galvanic corrosion which locks them bolts in anyway lol. The threadlocker does help with that as if it was anti-seize. I would suggest not using Red or Blue on any of the 6mm or smaller bolts! Blue on the 8mm. And never Red unless you don't want it to come off.

Thanks
But I was looking for a more forward relaxed position.
Hi, I am having same experience...did you find any solution for that Gen2 cramped hip position? I am thinking of machining my own "moderately forward position" controls, but am looking for an existing solutions first. Thanks.

Hi, can’t help with the forward controls but maybe you might want to check out the highway pegs that are available for the Gen2. I have had what I call the Vmax cramp on both 1st gen and now my Gen 2. The highway pegs made it so much more comfortable and I’m able to ride a lot longer now. Plus have the best of both worlds with being able to go back to the normal riding position. I’m putting a pic so you can see what I’m talking about. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_6483.png
    IMG_6483.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Hi
Picked up 09 Vmax a little cramped for hips, anyone know of forward controls or any other options?
Here's a picture of my bike -2017 VMAX, 5,200 miles. Put 2" risers on the handlebar and 1" drops on the peg/shifter,brake assemblies. Risers were a difficult install. 'May not be what others like, but for me it is a lot more comfortable to ride now.

Attachments

• VMAX2.png
    VMAX2.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Corbin has a peg lowering kit for VMAX 1700. I probably should have done something myself
but am getting lazy in my old age. Dropped feet about an inch or so. Does the trick for me.

Corbin has a peg lowering kit for VMAX 1700. I probably should have done something myself
but am getting lazy in my old age. Dropped feet about an inch or so. Does the trick for me.
Yes, that is the one I used -It's basically 2 powder-coated steel plates (one for each peg assembly) dropping the original peg assembly braket by .9 inch and forward by 1/4 inch. Then used ROK 2" risers that I rotated slightly toward the rider, to get away from the "Cafe racer feel" that stock had -just personal choice, and probably not the best for drag racing either. Have a good day!

I tried the risers too but needed more slack on lines. Again, maybe I could have made it work
but bailed on the project. Managed to scrape my bars in a couple of places. Found a reasonable
touch up paint but was pretty pissed that nothing was accomplished except some damage.
If I could move bars back a bit without all the other BS I might give it another go.

Back