Gen.2 Neutral Position Sensor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2gboom

Reaction score
2017 Highly Modded Vmax with 28,000 miles. Oil changed for the 3rd time this season, last interval was 2500 miles ago. Recently ran into an issue finding neutral while coming to a stop, or stopped in general. This only happens when the bike is up to temp, when I start it the next day it finds neutral. Will still be looking for neutral even when bike is stopped and powered off/on. I ordered a new o ring for the neutral sensor with plans to clean the sensor head and reinstall. New sensor is approx $90 shipped from my yamaha dealer. Is there anyway to adjust gain on these or to test if they are bad if I have it out?

So when it's in neutral the indicator shows nothing? I can't quite tell from your post if it's you that can't get it into neutral or it doesn't show neutral.
Cleaning did nothing for mine. Good luck.

So when it's in neutral the indicator shows nothing? I can't quite tell from your post if it's you that can't get it into neutral or it doesn't show neutral.
Cleaning did nothing for mine. Good luck.
Good catch... I took it as it was hard to shift in and out of gear. If it's not displaying neutral disregard what I said.

Good catch... I took it as it was hard to shift in and out of gear. If it's not displaying neutral disregard what I said.
Gear position indicator is blank where it should be saying Neutral after a long ride.

Additionally, I went through the clutch plates earlier this year and checked tolerances and made sure the entire clutch was in spec

I had a similar issue with my neutral switch (I believe it is referred to as a "gear position switch" in the service manual). Started with it not detecting/indicating neutral, then eventually it stopped detecting other gears too. I also noticed it was worse when the engine warm too.

I tried removing the sensor and clearing it first. It helped some but did not resolve my problem completely. I ended up replacing the sensor with a new one from Partzilla (Part No. 2S3-82540-00-00). I forgot to order a new O-ring though, so I just reused the old one. I have not had any issues with it since.

If you don't know this already: There is oil behind the sensor. If you remove the sensor while the bike is on the kickstand it will leak out. But if you have a buddy lean your bike to the opposite side while you change the sensor you can save your oil. Speaking from my experience.

Last edited:
Back