Gen 2 questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a gen 2. What is the difference in the Yamaha competition ECU and a flashed ECU? When buying a used gen 2 are there any areas I should focus on? Does the Gen 2 require premium at the pump? Does anyone in the Pasadena MD area have a gen 2? Thanks

I ran 87 in my gen 2 unless it was hot out or I knew I was going to have fun real fun then I used premium . I did the nash flash and never looked back . I sold my bike last summer do to arthritis in my hips .. Still ride gen 1s using forward controls

I had the competition ECU installed in my 2009. Not worth the money in my opinion. It removed the rev restrictions, but not much else was noticeable. You'd be better off getting the stock computer refreshed by the Vmax guru. Also, my 2009 was a victim of a bad oil pump recall. I know the guy that bought the engine after it was replaced. He contacted me and told me the pistons were covered with carbon deposits. This was after running the competition ECU for several thousand miles.

I am thinking about buying a gen 2. What is the difference in the Yamaha competition ECU and a flashed ECU? When buying a used gen 2 are there any areas I should focus on? Does the Gen 2 require premium at the pump? Does anyone in the Pasadena MD area have a gen 2? Thanks

1. Can't speak to the ECU. Most use Tim Nash's flash
2. Owners manual says to use premium unleaded with a pump octane number of 91 or higher with up to 10 percent ethanol. Gasohol with methanol is not recommended
3. Areas to focus on are the same as any used motorcycle. Service records, signs of melted tire rubber in the rear fender, surface corrosion from sitting outside, non-factory wiring, road rash...

Check out Jeff Marcum's YT videos for some info on Gen 2 buying: and

The nash flash? I hear about this and then some other guy that’s known as the gen 2 guru. I think his site is called gurued gear or something like that. Are these 2 1 in the same or 2 different places?? Plus there is another guy on YouTube called Moore mafia doing vmax flashes as well. I guess I’m trying to figure out if these are 3 different individuals or not. I know that the guru gear and Moore mafia are 2 different people but not sure who this Nash flash guy is??? Looking to do my 09 if it hasn’t already been done. I did find mine does have a pc5. Do people that get the flash also need a pc5 or does the flash eliminate the need for the pc5??
I have the original Vance and Hines transformer themed 09 vmax. Vance and Hines acquired my bike to develop the cs-1 exhaust system and when they did they had some guy named Cris Woods do a transformer them build/paint job. I love it. I have no idea if it’s been flashed or not but it sure feels powerful. It will spin up the rear in 1st gear right off the throttle.but I’ve heard people mention spinning the rear up in 3rd off the throttle??? Sounds just absolutely unbelievable!!! I mean that would just be insane clutch eating power.

Tim Nash is the owner of Gurued Gear and will flash your ECU. Tim Moore is the owner of Moore Mafia and flashes numerous bikes ECU's.
Tim specializes in the Vmax and has invested thousands of testing hours on it. I have had Tim flash two of my Gen 2's ECU's and did a great job with both. Tim is the only one that will touch my ECU's.

Tim Nash is the owner of Gurued Gear and will flash your ECU. Tim Moore is the owner of Moore Mafia and flashes numerous bikes ECU's.
Tim specializes in the Vmax and has invested thousands of testing hours on it. I have had Tim flash two of my Gen 2's ECU's and did a great job with both. Tim is the only one that will touch my ECU's.
I was reading on his site and don’t see an option for my setup. I have the Vance and Hines CS-1 exhaust system and plan to do the air box mod if it’s not done already. Also if I go with his flash I assume he does the fueling as well where I would remove the PC5??
On my R1 there is what’s called a pair mod which consist of removing emissions related components and replacing them with block off plates. Is this something that is able to be done on the gen 2?? If so i would probably do that as well. It helps getting rid of the off throttle exhaust popping noises while decelerating. I’ve not seen anyone mention a pair mod/ block off plates on the vmax 1700.

My set up was not one of his options also since I put an Akrapovic mid pipe with the stock cans back on which was not a full Akrapovic set up. I had also done the simple MAB mod in addition. I spoke with him with my questions and concerns and he answered everything I threw at him. I never had the PCV on the Vmax but did have one on my Raider. I believe he told me that there was no need for the PCV unless you tuned it where you could get a big couple of horsepower extra. Unless of course you are running a SC or some other big horsepower mod. I am not familiar pair mod since my last sportbike I sold in 2014.

Saying what I have does not answer your questions but Tim will. He is great guy, very personal and does not mind taking the time speaking to anyone on specific items and circumstances. I have experienced this and have heard others talk about these situations. Give him a call, there are times that he will answer if not Pam his assistant can get him on the phone with you and I am very sure he will have an answer to all your questions and explain as much as you need.

The ECU's he flashed on both my Gen 2's were flawless. The bikes were quicker and faster yet still smoother and yet got better fuel mileage. That is why he is the only one that will touch my ECU. Just call the number on the Gurued Gear website.

I was reading on his site and don’t see an option for my setup. I have the Vance and Hines CS-1 exhaust system and plan to do the air box mod if it’s not done already. Also if I go with his flash I assume he does the fueling as well where I would remove the PC5??
On my R1 there is what’s called a pair mod which consist of removing emissions related components and replacing them with block off plates. Is this something that is able to be done on the gen 2?? If so i would probably do that as well. It helps getting rid of the off throttle exhaust popping noises while decelerating. I’ve not seen anyone mention a pair mod/ block off plates on the vmax 1700.

Will do, now to figure out where the ECU is on this baby and also look into this air box mod. One last question would be do I need anything to do the air box mod?? Going to look for this info now.

This might help on the other part of your question.. (ie block off plates)
Best I understand is...
On the Gen 2 it has an Air Induction System. The valve and solenoid is located in the left scoop. Tim Nash (Gurued Gear), has an option when you purchase the flash under AIS option.
Closed or Active. In most cases pick "closed". It disables the AIS. Tim turns it off in the flash. Active is used if a guy wants to data map. See enclosed pic from site
In that case he sells a plug kit to disconnect the hoses and plug them to elimanate the popping on decel.
Gen 2 do have the AIS valves on the heads like you descibed that you would remove and put plates on. (We did our ZX6R that way). Not REQUIRED with the Tims Flash.
ECU is located under the fake tank. Air box mod (if needed) can be done at same time as reflash. Both in the same area. There are some good vids on here about that part.
I have a 2018 with a mid pipe ( cat delete), stock cans, air box mod, and Gurued reflash. Extremely satisfied!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_011138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_011138_Chrome.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 0
Great to know thank you so much, I did find a block off plate kit which I may still get just to eliminate the extra crap under there. I see you said something about he can make it active for data mapping? I assume that’s meaning for fuel tuning? If so I always heard the AIS needs turned off for any type of fuel tuning. But I could be misinterpreting what exactly data mapping is or totally misinformed about the AIS needing turned off for tuning.

I forgot to thank you for the info you have helped me with.

I forgot to thank you for the info you have helped me with.
No problem. Looks like DRWard helped you with some of you questions. Sounds like him and I have pretty close to the set up.

Yes to access ECU you will need to pull the seat off then the fake tank cover and you will see it. I am including a video where Tim Nash walks through the simple Modified Air Box modification.

Have 2019 all stock gen 2 I won’t recommend any reflash but Nash flash and gurumax are the most common and always put 91 in the bike thanks

You’ll want to do the DD mod while your ecu is sent off. Basically you’re doubling your clutch springs. You’ll want to get the retainer also that keeps the springs in place. Tim used to sell that as a kit on his website. It comes with a gasket, extra clutch spring, retainer, and clutch bolts. The extra power will slip the clutch. Yes third gear burnouts are achievable with the flash. 120mph while spinning…. 98mph after it caught traction…. Bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd gear. I would have tried 4th gear but I had a corner coming up. Tim’s (gurued gear) flash eliminates the sluggish feeling in 1st and 2nd gear. It’s restricted to a certain power limit until you get over 40mph or 3rd gear. (I have read.) he can also turn ex-up off to. There are cables that run down to the catalyst. You can either remove them, or just tie them up. But having an exhaust it should be done already. If it’s been flashed by Tim it’ll have a red sticker on it that says “off road use only.” “Gurued gear”. If you keep the PC-V and take it to a dyno they can fine tune it for maximum HP. I have got to get this done on mine. His flash also raises the rev limiter, and raises the speed limiter. You won’t be disappointed.

Tim Nash(Gurued Gear) use to from his website but not sure if he still does. If not it's all OEM Yamaha parts with the exception of Rick Rash's retainer ring which you will need. You are just packing one more diaphragm clutch spring on your existing one, a bit longer clutch spring bolts, gasket, Rick's ring and you got it. Someone on here may have the exact Yamaha OEM part numbers to help.

Latest posts

Back