Gen 2 Signal Swap Options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaXXX

Reaction score
Anyone aware of a model of LED signals (stalks and all) that serve as a direct upgrade? I thought I recalled a mod that used a sport bike set but can't seem to find a reference.

Nevermind. Just ordered some smoke lenses and CANBus LED "bulbs." Ought to result in a slightly more modern appearance without too much fuss.

Using any LED, even those "CANBUS" LEDs...you will either need a resistor inline or an electronic relay. Otherwise you will have the rapid flash turn signals.

As for options....I went with halos in the scoops7.jpg9.jpg6.jpg

I had them installed about a year ago and they are still working great.

Using any LED, even those "CANBUS" LEDs...you will either need a resistor inline or an electronic relay. Otherwise you will have the rapid flash turn signals.

As for options....I went with halos in the scoopsView attachment 84006View attachment 84007View attachment 84008

I had them installed about a year ago and they are still working great.
Those look great. The amber "park" light up top is especially trick. I actually reached out to Mr. Kemp thru FB in Oct about a set of halos but never heard back.
I've always expected LEDs would necessitate a relay or resistors. But I'm hoping these live up to their promise and prove to be an exception...
Screenshot_20220520-160254_Samsung Internet.jpg

While not on my motorcycle, my truck, I have converted all exterior lamps and about 95% of interior lamps to LED. The front turn signals were CAN bulbs. I had the hyper flash regardless and that was on a 2004 truck. I still had to install resistors. Keep us posted if those do live up to the hype of not needing resistors.

As for the bike....I built mine. I took the birdwing turn signals off and chopped the harness so I can make mine plug and play. Soldered in the wiring and made it look nice. I dont recall the sizes of LED rings. Want to say 70mm and 80mm. Some folks were waiting for the USA made ones to become available but I did mine at the height of the sniffles. So, mine are the China LEDs rings. Wiring is straight forward and simple. Figure out your colors and solder together. The LED rings came with a mini controller to switch between white and amber.

The "park" lamp bulb is a standard 194 bulb. I have a LED in amber in there. I wanted to do red, but I used mine up and taking apart the headlamp bucket again was not something I wanted to do again. 1.jpg2.jpg

The kits I bought. On the cheaper end being about $30 for a pair of each. Each halo comes with its own controller. Mounting is on the inside of the scoop with double sided tape. The smaller halo drops in perfect. Double sided tape or another method you deem fit to attach. The larger halo is slightly bigger as the exact size halo doesnt exist. Someone here makes the bracket to fit. I made my own brackets and I intentionally pitched the larger one up to put a smidge more light on the road at night.

These halos did need a resistor to stop the hyper flash. I have an electronic flasher but did not work for me as I may not have had the correct flasher. Other brands may work well. I do not know. I did have 3 resistors so I went and bought another box to run in the rear lights as I am running a rear turn signal delete/integrated brake/turn lens. All the exterior lighting on my bikes are LED to keep the load off the alternator system.

While not on my motorcycle, my truck, I have converted all exterior lamps and about 95% of interior lamps to LED. The front turn signals were CAN bulbs. I had the hyper flash regardless and that was on a 2004 truck. I still had to install resistors. Keep us posted if those do live up to the hype of not needing resistors.

As for the bike....I built mine. I took the birdwing turn signals off and chopped the harness so I can make mine plug and play. Soldered in the wiring and made it look nice. I dont recall the sizes of LED rings. Want to say 70mm and 80mm. Some folks were waiting for the USA made ones to become available but I did mine at the height of the sniffles. So, mine are the China LEDs rings. Wiring is straight forward and simple. Figure out your colors and solder together. The LED rings came with a mini controller to switch between white and amber.

The "park" lamp bulb is a standard 194 bulb. I have a LED in amber in there. I wanted to do red, but I used mine up and taking apart the headlamp bucket again was not something I wanted to do again. View attachment 84015View attachment 84016

The kits I bought. On the cheaper end being about $30 for a pair of each. Each halo comes with its own controller. Mounting is on the inside of the scoop with double sided tape. The smaller halo drops in perfect. Double sided tape or another method you deem fit to attach. The larger halo is slightly bigger as the exact size halo doesnt exist. Someone here makes the bracket to fit. I made my own brackets and I intentionally pitched the larger one up to put a smidge more light on the road at night.

These halos did need a resistor to stop the hyper flash. I have an electronic flasher but did not work for me as I may not have had the correct flasher. Other brands may work well. I do not know. I did have 3 resistors so I went and bought another box to run in the rear lights as I am running a rear turn signal delete/integrated brake/turn lens. All the exterior lighting on my bikes are LED to keep the load off the alternator system.
Man that was a creative and effective electrical undertaking you pulled off. I'm not quite there yet. I'll ignore the protests of that baritone chromosome and admit to being nervous about burning my bike down.

I do know my way around a wrench and am comfortable with fluids but electronics be my kryptonite. When I purchased my '09 it was sporting some pretty shoddy aftermarket parts and was generally neglected. I spent a winter acquiring everything needed to return it to factory specs (exception being flash & filter).

Now I'm reaching that point were I'm tempted to take the cat back off, try a set of nice slip- ons, reflash, etc, etc, etc.

HOWEVER, I'd still prefer to keep the mods plug/play so the bike could always be returned to its original configuration. This baby is #497 of the Gen 2s after all!
20210711_114907.jpg

I had to stalk Mike Kemp also but managed to get a set of his HALOs...waiting for the 10" of snow we just got to melt over the next few days to drag some bikes out to work on.

I know he was having issues sourcing some of the parts in his kits for a while and was also in the midst of a move and a job change.

Well thought out kit on his part and worth the money...if you're set on HALOs he's worth chasing.

I had to stalk Mike Kemp also but managed to get a set of his HALOs...waiting for the 10" of snow we just got to melt over the next few days to drag some bikes out to work on.

I know he was having issues sourcing some of the parts in his kits for a while and was also in the midst of a move and a job change.

Well thought out kit on his part and worth the money...if you're set on HALOs he's worth chasing.
Oh no doubt. I think around that time I read something about him dealing with a serious back issue. Then as you said, the world of supply chains evolved into what it is. I wasn't miffed or anything. My wish list is too long for me to dwell on one area very long LOL

The "park" lamp bulb is a standard 194 bulb. I have a LED in amber in there. I wanted to do red, but I used mine up and taking apart the headlamp bucket again was not something I wanted to do again. View attachment 84015View attachment 84016

Could you DM me the product numbers you used please?

Could you DM me the product numbers you used please?

I do not have part numbers. I got things online.

https://www.amazon.com/Qasim-1-Pair...t=&hvlocphy=9030464&hvtargid=pla-583775010186
I cannot find ones for 70mm. But it was through this company.

For my park lamp, I used this bulb as it was what I had in stock.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania...ck-of-1/52621696?wl13=3732&selectedSellerId=0
What I used for my H4.....I honestly cannot remember. I do not have that box anymore and I dont remember what I used. I do know it was rather pricey being about $100 for that bulb.

The one thing I cannot tell you a part number is the mounting for the 80mm halo. I used a quick set/quick cure epoxy. 3M 04747 is the number to that. You need a special applicator gun to use this particular epoxy.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...o:698064959552899644_1,pid:698064959552899644
With this I found a mold that I used to build my mounting bracket rings. If you have a 3D printer, I am sure you can use that. This is what I had so I made do with what I had.

I do not have part numbers. I got things online.

https://www.amazon.com/Qasim-1-Pair...t=&hvlocphy=9030464&hvtargid=pla-583775010186
I cannot find ones for 70mm. But it was through this company.

For my park lamp, I used this bulb as it was what I had in stock.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania...ck-of-1/52621696?wl13=3732&selectedSellerId=0
What I used for my H4.....I honestly cannot remember. I do not have that box anymore and I dont remember what I used. I do know it was rather pricey being about $100 for that bulb.

The one thing I cannot tell you a part number is the mounting for the 80mm halo. I used a quick set/quick cure epoxy. 3M 04747 is the number to that. You need a special applicator gun to use this particular epoxy.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...o:698064959552899644_1,pid:698064959552899644
With this I found a mold that I used to build my mounting bracket rings. If you have a 3D printer, I am sure you can use that. This is what I had so I made do with what I had.
Thanks! Ordered them today!

These halos did need a resistor to stop the hyper flash. I have an electronic flasher but did not work for me as I may not have had the correct flasher. Other brands may work well. I do not know. I did have 3 resistors so I went and bought another box to run in the rear lights as I am running a rear turn signal delete/integrated brake/turn lens. All the exterior lighting on my bikes are LED to keep the load off the alternator

As requested, an update on the ALLA Lighting "NO HYPER FLASH" LED drop-in turn signal lights with the built-in no hyper flash technology requiring "no need to install extra LED resistors or replace LED flasher, no signal hyper flash."

Yeah. They hyper flash.

Last edited:

Sounds cool, can you post pix of these in action during bright sun and twilight periods? Someone's probably done the same just as an accent in a color. Have you seen or done anything as an accent light ? Not sure I want to go through all that work and end up with something garish, but a functional signal light that looks good in action maybe.....

Are these the only forward signals you have now ?

Sounds cool, can you post pix of these in action during bright sun and twilight periods? Someone's probably done the same just as an accent in a color. Have you seen or done anything as an accent light ? Not sure I want to go through all that work and end up with something garish, but a functional signal light that looks good in action maybe.....

Are these the only forward signals you have now ?
Not saying yours are garish, I'm just a little concerned how they'd look if they were on all the time. Might be a little out of place ?

Not saying yours are garish, I'm just a little concerned how they'd look if they were on all the time. Might be a little out of place ?

The lighting during peak hours, especially in the SW is great. I have the white running lights on all the time. Visibility is key, and different lighting configurations bring eyes to it acknowledging there is something there. The controller brings the turn signal side of it on and if you cant see those at any time of day, you simply shouldnt be driving or riding.

In my pics, the two ways I shown them is that the white lights are on all the time I wired them into the running light circuit of the bikes wiring harness. The turn signals are off all the time until commanded by the turn signal. I do not have pics of it on during the day light and I am not on the bike today cause we are getting more rain here in the desert that the rain forest is getting now. But when I get those pics, I will post to show what they look like in the height of day.

Man that was a creative and effective electrical undertaking you pulled off. I'm not quite there yet. I'll ignore the protests of that baritone chromosome and admit to being nervous about burning my bike down.

I do know my way around a wrench and am comfortable with fluids but electronics be my kryptonite. When I purchased my '09 it was sporting some pretty shoddy aftermarket parts and was generally neglected. I spent a winter acquiring everything needed to return it to factory specs (exception being flash & filter).

Now I'm reaching that point were I'm tempted to take the cat back off, try a set of nice slip- ons, reflash, etc, etc, etc.

HOWEVER, I'd still prefer to keep the mods plug/play so the bike could always be returned to its original configuration. This baby is #497 of the Gen 2s after all!
View attachment 84022
Lots of guys got us beat...LOL. I wonder who20220628_163917.jpg20220628_164015.jpg has 001 ?

My 2009 is 182 last 3 VIN. Anyway...got some well lit pictures of the halos on mine. 0628221735b.jpg
Bike completely off. No lights.

0628221734.jpg
Bike on and running. Headlight and halos on.

0628221735a.jpg
Bike on and running, 4 ways activated to show all halos on amber at the same time.

Latest posts

Back