Gen 2 SpeedoHealer Install Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSMAX

Reaction score
A few people have asked me how to install the SpeedoHealer on a Gen 2. I have one, and got help from the Star V-Max forum site on my install. That site is down for some reason, so I created a video that I hope helps riders who want to use this device to display the correct speed on their speedometer, and log the correct number of miles on their odometer. Beware, it is an amateur video. I'm no expert at videos, but wanted to share if I can help.

Here's the link:

I followed this video when I installed my SpeedoHealer V4 on my Vmax 1700 2009.
My speedometer show 8% off. I checked at 20,40,50,60,70,80,90 &100.
First I power up unit at home with 12,5v and programmed it to A-8,0

I installed it and when I go out for a test, I run about 35km/t (limit 30) until I came out to main road.
I notice that speedometer was very sensitive and go over / under around that speed.
Then I go to a highway and run about 90km/t and speedometer was more sensitive and change to 73 then 80 then 95 then 98 and then go down to around 73 again.

I go home and plug out unit and plug in the plug that we must use if disconnect unit. Go out for a test ride and speedometer was back to normal. That tell me that sensor wire is OK.
Power is around 12,5v and everything look ok with connections. ( I am electrician).

Anybody have same issue? Can it be a problem with unit?
It looks that it show correct speed compared to Gps, but unit are unstable and useless if I can't fix this problem.

I followed this video when I installed my SpeedoHealer V4 on my Vmax 1700 2009.
My speedometer show 8% off. I checked at 20,40,50,60,70,80,90 &100.
First I power up unit at home with 12,5v and programmed it to A-8,0

I installed it and when I go out for a test, I run about 35km/t (limit 30) until I came out to main road.
I notice that speedometer was very sensitive and go over / under around that speed.
Then I go to a highway and run about 90km/t and speedometer was more sensitive and change to 73 then 80 then 95 then 98 and then go down to around 73 again.

I go home and plug out unit and plug in the plug that we must use if disconnect unit. Go out for a test ride and speedometer was back to normal. That tell me that sensor wire is OK.
Power is around 12,5v and everything look ok with connections. ( I am electrician).

Anybody have same issue? Can it be a problem with unit?
It looks that it show correct speed compared to Gps, but unit are unstable and useless if I can't fix this problem.

Try lower percetance, say 3 % and test if speedometer is stable. I think I have 2,5 %, meter is 2 km/h off but I have left it there.

Yeah, I will try to lower percentance and check if it is more stable.
Do you have same issue, or why do you stop 2km/t off?

I was noticing last week during a ride that my GPS speed was quite a bit different than my speedo....I wasn't aware that this was a common issue...

Yeah, I will try to lower percentance and check if it is more stable.
Do you have same issue, or why do you stop 2km/t off?
No, I’m just lazy AF 😄 It’s close enough for me.
If you still have problems with lower setting, maybe you have faulty unit? This needs oscilloscope to verify signal quality, multimeter can’t keep up 🤔

I was noticing last week during a ride that my GPS speed was quite a bit different than my speedo....I wasn't aware that this was a common issue...

It's normal that speedometer on cars and motorcycles show 3% or more off gps speed.
It's not a fault, but how they made speedometer from factory.

No, I’m just lazy AF 😄 It’s close enough for me.
If you still have problems with lower setting, maybe you have faulty unit? This needs oscilloscope to verify signal quality, multimeter can’t keep up 🤔

It's good to hear that your unit is ok.
I will reset my unit and then check if it show same speed on speedometer as without unit installed. (A-0,0 =0%)
If it show same speed and are stable, I will adjust until unit be unstable.
I will also check if it is a supply issue and use a small unit that send out a stable 12,0 volt as long as supply is 12,0 v or more.
I use that kind of unit on my led turn signals and use 8,5v for running light.

I will do the test next time it is possible to ride without wet road ;)

Today, it finally was possible to do a test run. First I move the speedohealer unit from under right cover next to flash relay to under middle seat where you fill fuel to see if there is some electronic noise who make the issue. But it was still very unstable.
I reset modul so display show A0 (factory default), but it is still unstable.
This must be a problem inside speedohealer unit.
I removed the unit and plug in the jumper plug that come with this set and speedometer is back to normal.

According to manual we must contact Healtech-electronics if we have a Yamaha ABS model, but believe all gen 2 come with abs brakes?

Have you tried this test mode? I don’t know where speedo gets signal, should this work by rotating rear tire? I think all gen 2 has ABS as standard.
08B302C7-2E4F-4731-89B3-5C546274F364.jpeg

I'm curious to see how this pans out. People had previously asked the Guru to fix the speedo in his tune, but if I recall correctly, he didn't want to because there was some issue with the speed display also affecting other parts of the tune.

Finally today it was possible to do a new test run, and now it is working perfect at 8%.
I find the problem 3 days ago, but because of wet road I don't go out for a test.
Before, test mode was not working also. Show 0km/h in all 9 test step.
I ask HealTech Electronic if they know what can be wrong. They confirm everything was connected correct.
They ask me to take picture of all connection I made just to be sure everything was ok.
I pick up my Fluke 1587 on job and want to measure all wire from HealTeck plug to my connections.
I start with black wire and measure resistance between bolt where I connect to earth and minus on battery. Here it was more resistance then I like and removed bolt out from frame. Measure from treads inside frame and it was 0,3ohm = Ok.
Then I check treads and see it was a lot of loctite on it. I try to remove it on treads inside hole and treads on bolt.
Connect bolt again and try test mode. Now test mode was working.
I install everything back but it was to late to go out for a test ride.

Today I drive my bike a small trip for test. Speedometer show same value as my gps and now it is stable.

Problem was this loctite make resistance to earth. When I get better earth, signal is OK.
I install Yamaha Led turn light in May 2020 and use same bolt for earth for a small unit where I take out 8,5v to running light with no issues, so it was strange loctite make problem now. But this abs speed signal is only 0-5-0 volt, so earth must be without resistance.
When I install earth on this bolt I don't take out bolt, so I don't see loctite before now. I measure voltage and everything looks normal, but I don't know it was some resistance here. Now speedometer is OK and show correct speed.

Last edited:
Good to hear, I did some rtfm myself too and it says that this unit can be used to mph-kph conversion and then the percetance is above 60, so my first idea was totally off. This can pull off any %. A lot of times in electrical problems the cause is bad ground, it can cause very strange problems.

Back