Quantcast

Gen 2 starting issues.

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

rolynisa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Gen 2 with approx 60k miles and every time I try to start it it sounds like either the starter relay or contactor doesn’t seem to connect or make proper contact.
Any ideas / suggestions

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
I was just poking around the forum and saw your post.... I had the same problem with my 2009 at about 40K... it was the starter button contact.. I was also told sometimes the kick stand switch can cause this problem.. You get it sorted out??

rolynisa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case it was a bad starter solenoid, picked one up on eBay and it’s starting like a charm again.

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
Interesting. What kind of behavior were you experiencing before it failed. I'm over 50k miles now so I get concerned about potential points of failure.

But it has really been very solid other then that starter button.

rolynisa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. What kind of behavior were you experiencing before it failed. I'm over 50k miles now so I get concerned about potential points of failure.

But it has really been very solid other then that starter button.
it’s a rock solid bike, bought it new in 2009 the starter solenoid has been the only issue I’ve had besides regular maintenance.
The starting got worse and worse over about 4 months until you only herd the relay clicking and the starter motor never even engage At the end. I did remove the starter motor and had it tested but it was perfect.

rolynisa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting I didn’t know they made / sold the Gen 2 in 2007.
But I have to agree the Gen 2 is rock solid.

Parminio

Reaction score
Interesting I didn’t know they made / sold the Gen 2 in 2007.
But I have to agree the Gen 2 is rock solid.
:rolleyes:

That was my point. How is your Gen 2 rock solid when you had to replace the starter solenoid and I've not replaced anything on a Gen1 that's two years older?

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
Really not that many. I'm on my 3rd set now. I will say this on every change (15-20k mi) the plugs looked like new. And it is a PIA to change the plugs. I usually do antifreeze the same time since I drain it to remove the upper radiator hose to get at the LF plug

Latest posts