Gen-2 Starting Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax_low

Reaction score
Recently my Gen-2 is having starting problem. Need to press the starter button for a couple of times before the engine starts to crank. Kindly refer to the video and sorry for the blurry quality.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

Attachments

• VID-20221114-WA0004.mp4
    5.2 MB
I had the same issue with mine. I first tried cleaning the starting button contacts but that did not solve the issue. I replaced the battery too since it was few years old with a Shorai with no luck. I ended up replacing the starter relay part # 4SV-81940-12-00 and finally now the bike starts all the time.

Attachments

• VMAX Starting Issue.mp4
    14.3 MB
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 06.59.41.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 06.59.41.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
I had the same issue with mine. I first tried cleaning the starting button contacts but that did not solve the issue. I replaced the battery too since it was few years old with a Shorai with no luck. I ended up replacing the starter relay part # 4SV-81940-12-00 and finally now the bike starts all the time.
Many thanks for the input. Will surely look into the starter relay.

Jeff

I have a similar issue, I have to push the start button a certain way for it to crank. I assumed it was the contact, still have not taken it apart yet. But now I may looking elsewhere. Thank you for the information.

Anybody else found solutions for this? I'm having the same issue. I was thinking it might be the crank position sensor, but I would much rather replace the starter relay if that is the common fix.

I almost got stuck once because of the starter button. It's a cheap piece of crap that is open to the environment. Every year or so I disassemble where the button is and rub a old style points file on the contacts a few times. Never had the problem again.

It is also difficult if not impossible to bump start these Gen 2 bikes. Guru explained that the ECU has to see a certain RPM before the ignition comes on. I had a few guys pushing me all over a parking lot with no luck.

It finally lit with the button but be aware it can be a problem.

Back