Gen 2 Wide Wheel Kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qball50

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals, I know this has been discussed on here somewhere. Mods feel free to move this thread where it belongs if this area is not kosher for this discussion. I have a 2014 sitting in my warehouse with good weather arriving this weekend. I normally do my own maintenance work myself. However, I have a Wide Wheel Kit on order and it is due to arrive around Sept. 15th. My plans are to get 600 miles on the bike, weather permitting, by the time the wheel kit arrives and take it in to my dealer to have it installed at the 600 mile service.

I am aware of the shaft inspection cover issue. My question is: Since we are on our 6th model year of the Gen 2, has any great solution to the inspection plate issue been discovered? I am aware of some owners using the chrome HVAC tape to cover the hole. I do not want to ride my bike with the shaft exposed. Has anyone figured out how to modify the inspection cover so as to provide clearance to the tire or is there something else out there?

BTW.... I am going offline for awhile to mow my soaking wet grass while have the chance. I'll check back on here later.

Thanks............. Dave

I hate you Dave. You have a 2014 and already got the wide tire kit. Stop rubbing it in already :damn angry:

Just kidding I'm happy for you. But if you need someone to ride it to get to the 600 mile service I'm your guy :punk:

Make sure you take photos and post them of before during and after :clapping:

Okay guys and gals, I know this has been discussed on here somewhere. Mods feel free to move this thread where it belongs if this area is not kosher for this discussion. I have a 2014 sitting in my warehouse with good weather arriving this weekend. I normally do my own maintenance work myself. However, I have a Wide Wheel Kit on order and it is due to arrive around Sept. 15th. My plans are to get 600 miles on the bike, weather permitting, by the time the wheel kit arrives and take it in to my dealer to have it installed at the 600 mile service.

I am aware of the shaft inspection cover issue. My question is: Since we are on our 6th model year of the Gen 2, has any great solution to the inspection plate issue been discovered? I am aware of some owners using the chrome HVAC tape to cover the hole. I do not want to ride my bike with the shaft exposed. Has anyone figured out how to modify the inspection cover so as to provide clearance to the tire or is there something else out there?

BTW.... I am going offline for awhile to mow my soaking wet grass while have the chance. I'll check back on here later.

Thanks............. Dave

Dave

Tape is still the solution, nobody has had a single issue.....not even the people who run with no cover.

When I had my wide wheel I ran without a cover .....but my rear tires were only lasting a little over 2000 miles or so. I would just clean out whatever grime was in there (not much) when I mounted a new tire.

-Mark-

I hate you Dave. You have a 2014 and already got the wide tire kit. Stop rubbing it in already :damn angry:

Just kidding I'm happy for you. But if you need someone to ride it to get to the 600 mile service I'm your guy :punk:

Make sure you take photos and post them of before during and after :clapping:

I'll certainly post them up. lol! I guess my thread on this I started in the Vboost section got moved after all. Ha Ha.. I kind of figured it would. It took me a little while to find it.

Dave

Tape is still the solution, nobody has had a single issue.....not even the people who run with no cover.

When I had my wide wheel I ran without a cover .....but my rear tires were only lasting a little over 2000 miles or so. I would just clean out whatever grime was in there (not much) when I mounted a new tire.

-Mark-

That's good to hear. I asked my question because I have some CNC equipment at my disposal and thought that if the cover could be re-engineered to allow some clearance, then I would go that route. I haven't looked closely at my bike's port side swing arm at all in any kind of detail. But if the tape is still the solution, and no problems exist with it, then that's where I'll go. Thanks...... Take care............ Dave

That's good to hear. I asked my question because I have some CNC equipment at my disposal and thought that if the cover could be re-engineered to allow some clearance, then I would go that route. I haven't looked closely at my bike's port side swing arm at all in any kind of detail. But if the tape is still the solution, and no problems exist with it, then that's where I'll go. Thanks...... Take care............ Dave

A few people have talked about trying to come up with something, but it's not a big enough problem really. Besides, you'll see the clearance is so tight that nothing more than some really light gage sheet metal would fit IMO.

interesting info, is there a thread on it somewhere. so you have to run with the shaft exposed for the 240 kit?

interesting info, is there a thread on it somewhere. so you have to run with the shaft exposed for the 240 kit?

Sounds like that is the easiest way. My plan is to go ahead and run the bike with the big wheel/tire and leave the cover off. I don't plan on riding in the rain anyway. What little dirt and gravel that may make it's way into the swingarm, I'll just suck out with the micro nozzle attachment I have on my shop vac. Attach a flexible hose to it and stick it down in the opening.

Sounds like that is the easiest way. My plan is to go ahead and run the bike with the big wheel/tire and leave the cover off. I don't plan on riding in the rain anyway. What little dirt and gravel that may make it's way into the swingarm, I'll just suck out with the micro nozzle attachment I have on my shop vac. Attach a flexible hose to it and stick it down in the opening.

You know you have to pull the pumpkin off to remove the wheel? It's a bit of a PITA. :bang head:

You know you have to pull the pumpin off to remove the wheel? It's a bit of a PITA. :bang head:

Yeah. I realize that. Let me get a little more familiar with my new Gen 2 bike, and then I will be able to respond intelligently. My wheel kit hasn't even arrived yet. However, I thought I remembered you saying that you ran your bike with the shaft exposed and had no issues. I'll deal with it as it presents itself.

I'll put the wheel on, and then observe what I have to deal with when the time comes.

I have been running the wide wheel kit on mine with the expossed shaft for almost 20,000 miles, Dailey riden in the rain and not... zero issues

Latest posts

Back