Gen I, VMax Parts Compatability, By Year/s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
The following is a work in progress. it will be modified, change as needed and eventually will provide a guide to the interchangeability of parts for all years of the Gen I VMax... It's in the development stage right now. So, I'm asking for help to organize this and information that is pertinent too... Any replies you give will go at the end of this thread. I will incorporate your thoughts or info into this first post. That way the important part of this thread will be very easy to find, right at the front. For now, it's mainly my questions of how to organize this and what to include, eventually it will be answers of what can be interchanged from another year VMax to your bike and work. If you are unfamiliar with this thread read beyond this first post and I think you'll get a clearer picture of what's happening here... Thanx for your patience.
Dave

PS: Items in red are uncertain or still need to be addressed...

1. Engine
I know the base engine stayed the same but updates / fixes were accomplished throughout the time the VMax was produced. What I'm thinking of doing here is list when those updates were Incorporated from the first 85 through the last 07. Things like shift segment, any clutch assy updates, gear changes, the plumbing for the dreaded o-ring and so on.

A. Second Gear changed to stonger design in some point of '85
B. Exhaust, 1985 didn't meet DOT standards, changed in 1986. Exhaust outlet ID was 1mm larger in OD in '85.
C. modest flywheel change 1990
D. Shift segment upgraded in 99. Heres a how to: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10938
E. Dreaded O-Ring fix by factory, in 1999, I now believe to be true.. 2003 was the year that I'd found listed previously but I now have some new evidence that supports 1999 as the year the factory upgraded the Supply Pipe / O-Ring fix.
F. Canister oil filter 1985 thru 1995, block redesigned, stronger, spin on oil filter 1996 and newer also new connecting rods in engine. minor engine redesign 2003.

What Else ?

2. Cooling

A.Radiator Cap, changed in 2001 from 10.7-14.9 psi relief pressure to 10.9-15.2 psi relief pressure.

Were there other updates done to any of the cooling system over the years, radiator, fan, thermostat, temp switch,
hoses????

Changes to anything ???

3. Carburetor

A. Main Jets, 1985-86 2 front carbs came with #152.5 main jets, rear 2 carbs came with #150 main jets. 1988 and on came with all carbs using #152.5 main jets. All European models came with all carbs utilizing #150 main jets...

B. Jet Needles. US 49 State models from 1985-95 used 5EZ43, 96 and on used 5EZ43-1
California Models 1985-95 used 5EZ50 and 96 on used 5ez50-1
96 on Euro models used 5EZ19-3

C. Pilot Jet, US and California used #37.5 all years.
European Models 96 on used #42.5

D. Pilot Air Jet 1, All 49 State US Models used #90
Cali models used #100
Euro Models from 1996 on used #95

E. Carbs can be interchanged between model years but the inside diameter, jets, needles Throttle Valves and Etc, did have some small differences not shown here. See Service manual Air/Fuel Section, Fuel System Specifications Table for the differences.

Any other updates / upgrades that were done over the years? I want to include the vboost tubes (Mechanical parts) here too..

F. VBoost tubes were 30 mm ID in '85 and went to 32 mm in 1986 and stayed there.

4. Chassis
Wheels, rotors, calipers, brake master cylinder, front forks, anything that changed and the years that those changes were made.

A. Wheels
1. 85 had different style rear wheel. It will bolt onto any vmax 85-07
2. 86 say a new style rear wheel.
3. 85-86 had spoked front wheel, it's lighter than later models. It will bolt onto any vmax 85-07
Note, No 1987 VMaxes were made.
4. 88 new style front wheel.

B. Brake
1. 85-92 had smaller front rotors, 282 mm, not cross drilled. 2 pot calipers Will bolt onto any vmax but too small to use with 93-07 calipers.
2. 93-2007 larger front rotors, 298 mm, 4 pot calipers.

C. Front Forks
1. 85-92 had smaller OD fork tubes (40mm) with air crossover tube, left side near top of fork, oil drain screw and matching triple clamps. Entire fork, triple, caliper assembly can be swapped to any year.
2. 93-07 had larger OD fork tubes (43mm)and matching triple clamps, no oil drain screw and no air balance tube, individual air valves at the top of each fork.
3. 01, slight changes fork damper rod and bolt, fork guard added to lower legs

D. 96-07 Rear axle. Changed to 1/4" shorter axle. Washers also changed
E. 96-07 Differential machined to accept shorter axle. Bears a surface to mount speedometer in housing.

What Else ???

5. Electrical, Many of electrical changes in 90 due to new digital ignition

A. ECU, Upgraded to digital electronics 90..... 1985-1989=1FK-82305-09-00, 1990 on 3JP-82305-13-00
B. VBoost controller, changed in 1993..... 1985-1992=1FK-85830-M2-00 , 1993 on 1FK-85830-M0-00
C. Turn Signal Relay, changed in 1990.... 1985-1989=41R-83350-71-00, 1990 on 2UJ-83350-00-00,
D. Wiring Harness, changed in 90 for digital electronics... 1985-1989= 1UT-82590-01-00 , 1990 on 3JP-82590-00-00
E. IgnitionCoils, 1985-1989=25G-82310-10-00 , the terminals are red/white and either orange, gray, yellow or white. depending on the coil/cylinder number... 1990 on, connectors are red/white and orange on the coil side of each ignition coil. Coil function and testing is the same for both.
F. Reserve / normal fuel control, Fuel Pump changed in 2003. 1985-2002=1FK-13907-00-00, 2003 on 1FK-13907-01-00
G. ignition Module, changed to digital in 90... 1985-1989= 1FK-82305-10-00 , 1990 on 3JP-82305-11-00
H. Starter, Starter changed to a 4 pole model in 2001... 1985-2000= 1FK-81800-10-00, 2001 on 1FK-81890-00-00
I. Tank cover gauge cluster, changed for digital electronics 1990, 2003 different style script and redline lowered to 9,000.
Instrument panel can be swapped as long as the wiring harness is the type originally used on the bike it's being installed on.

J. Speedometer: changed part number often, basic function remained the same, 2003 different style script.. 1985-1991= 3LR-83570-00-00, 1992 1FK-83570-A0-00, 1993= 1FK-83570-A1-00, 2002= 1FK-83570-A2-00, 2003 1FK-83570-B0-00, 2004=3LR-83570-00-00, 2005= 1FK-83570-B0-00, 2006-2007 5GK-83570-00-00
K. Stator, upgraded for more output 93-07... 1985-1989= 1FK-81410-11-00, 1993 on= 3UF-81410-10-00
L. Voltage Rectifier / Regulator. Changed from original, Lower amperage. Changed to a finned model 1998-2007 model is preferred when older model goes bad or is replaced.

M. Starter Relay: Changed in 1990 to a higher resistance coil. 1985-1989, 36Y-81940-00-00, 1990 on= 3UF-81940-00-00,

6. Bodywork
A. side panels VMax pressed into metal 1985. 1986 and newer have a stick on VMax badge
B. footpegs changed style in 1986

What Else?

Original 1st Post of this thread...

I ran a search of the site for a compatibility list of parts for the VMax. I came up with 1 part listed that way. I think it would be nice to have a list that we can refer to for a quick and accurate answer...

I'm doing a thread / post like this on ar15.com ( ARFCOM ). Triggers and Hammers compatibility with what 22 conversions. It's been very helpful to others there and I believe a similar compatibility list here would also become indispensable. I have an 89 and a 94 VMax now and I really don't have a clue what can be swapped between the two for troubleshooting or to make a repair.

I realize it will be a PITA to start and gather all the info. I see the questions being asked all the time, "is the part from 1993 compatible with my 2004" or similar. I will maintain the ability to edit this post as long as I'm a member here. I can keep the info current and in the first post of this thread, easy to find. Eventually, we can make this a Sticky Thread if all goes as planned. If I meet my demise someone can copy and paste the info to a new thread and continue carrying the torch. I'll be relying on the Guru's of VMax's here to get started and verify that the list is correct.

If you think this is a worthy undertaking. If I'm full of crap for wanting to do this, LMK. I'm open but think it would be a great help to all of us working on multiple year bikes....

The first thing we need to develop is categories.. We'll be able to add, combine, delete as we go. So even if our first try isn't 100% we can modify our approach until we get it right. After we get started, I'll delete a lot of this BS and use the space for a more uncluttered listing here in this first post....

We could use a VMax Manual as a guide, like they are divided into sections or we could develop our own approach???? Give me some ideas. When this is done, if this is done. I'd like to be able to look at the list and quickly find an answer like which ECU's are interchangeable to my 89 or to my 94. Then I won't have to guess at what may work.... Or, the brakes on my 89 are not the same as the brakes on my 94... And so on....

Last edited:
with how many parts are similar it might be easier to list the differences, and start with the easy stuff. front ends obviously 92- and 93+, wheels etc

Well, I have the list all in my head and it will be a very long list!

There is a site out there that you can put a part number into and it will tell you what all bikes used that number. What it won't tell you is what variations (color for example) will still fit.

It may take me awhile to put interchange next to each item but feel free to make your list.

Sean

I'm almost positive the valve stem caps are compatible on all years as well as the air that goes in the tires, with the exception of California models which use the low pollutants formula. Now that I think of it, the paint colors will also work on all years. There your start and a bump Grumpy!

It would be a good idea to add the car-compatable things too like temperature switches and thermostats.

It would be a good idea to add the car-compatable things too like temperature switches and thermostats.

This is a real good idea! The list would be fairly short I would think and would result in immediate and substantial savings over OEM stealer prices. Also, this stuff would be readily available at the local a/p.:clapping:

I really hadn't planned to get down to valve caps and paint color. seriously Guys, If you don't know that type a thing, ya grew up in a cage in the barn.:rofl_200:

Things like ECU, Turn Signal Relays (I know the newer ones are self canceling), VBoost controllers, Starters, Stators, Wiring Harnesses, Coils, Brake Disks, whatever we can think of as items that might need to be swapped for troubleshooting or repair.

I'll try to get a somewhat organized list made up later in the day. I've got to go to Kyle's and get some more parts off the 90 he has. Don't know what I'll do when he runs out of parts? He'll just have to buy another parts bike. I don't seem to be able to find one.

I really hadn't planned to get down to valve caps and paint color. seriously Guys, If you don't know that type a thing, ya grew up in a cage in the barn.:rofl_200:

Things like ECU, Turn Signal Relays (I know the newer ones are self canceling), VBoost controllers, Starters, Stators, Wiring Harnesses, Coils, Brake Disks, whatever we can think of as items that might need to be swapped for troubleshooting or repair.

I'll try to get a somewhat organized list made up later in the day. I've got to go to Kyle's and get some more parts off the 90 he has. Don't know what I'll do when he runs out of parts? He'll just have to buy another parts bike. I don't seem to be able to find one.

all turn signals are self cancelling

Oops, My Bad Kyle... That's a perfect example of the need for this List.:biglaugh:

I Entered / Edited In, the beginnings of the important part of this thread. It's at the top of page 1, the First Post of the Thread. I know a few of the answers to questions I asked there but need opinions of my layout and content, as well as answers to my questions, if for no other reason than to confirm what I think I know. I also need help, any thoughts of a better way to approach this whole thing?

The Damn Mod Monkey had me stuck in the garage working on the 89. So, I'm really late getting started. I'll post what I have entered when my time runs out tonight. It can be modified over and over till we make it right. It's 10:15 PM Thursday now, Wife just told me I have 30 or 45 minutes before she shoots me so I better get started... I've been shot.... Oh No...:rofl_200: I'll work more on this tomorrow....:biglaugh:

1. Engine
A. I know the base engine stayed the same but updates / fixes were accomplished throughout the time the VMax was produced. What I'm thinking of doing here is list when those updates were Incorporated from the first 85 through the last 07. Things like shift segment, any clutch assy updates, gear changes, the plumbing for the dreaded o-ring and so on.

Second Gear changed to stonger design in some point of '85
Shift segment upgraded in 99. Heres a how to: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10938

2. Cooling
A. were there updates done to any of the cooling system over the years, radiator, fan, thermostat, temp switch,
hoses????

3. Carburetor
A. I know the carbs stayed basically the same. Again I'm looking for any updates / upgrades that were done over the years. I want to include the vboost tubes (Mechanical parts) here too..

vboost tubes were 1 mm smaller ID in '85. Exhaust outlet ID was 1mm larger in OD in '85.

4. Chassis
A. wheels, rotors, calipers, brake master cylinder, front forks, anything that changed and the years that those changes were made.

85 had different style rear wheel. It will bolt onto any vmax 85-07
85-86 had spoked front wheel. It will bolt onto any vmax 85-07
85-92 had smaller front rotors, not cross drilled. Will bolt onto any vmax but too small to use with 93-07 calipers
85-92 had smaller OD fork tubes (40mm?)with air crossover tube, and matching triple clamps. Enitre fork, triple, caliper assembly can be swapped to any year
93-07 had larger OD fork tubes (42mm)and matching triple clamps

5. Electrical-Tons of electrical changes in 90 due to new ignition
A. Stator- upgraded for more output 93-07
B. ECU
C. VBoost controller- same I think
D. Turn Signal Relay-changed in 90
E. Wiring Harness-changed in 90
F. Coils-same I think
G. Reserve / normal fuel control
H. ignition -changed to digital in 90
I. What Else?- Starter changed to a 4 brush model in 98. (i think 98)
Complete tank gauge cluster changed at some point in time. Connectors changed from both being white to one being white, and one red and one has more pins used in the connector. Can't remember year.

Added some input.

Thanks Mike. I'll get this entered as soon as I can, got a very busy day ahead. If anyone sees a need to change / update something here, inform me so I can incorperate it. This is a big help to get things started...

Dave

I apologize Sean. It seems that you never sleep already, always working or helping us here... I'll have to look at the awards and see if there are any you haven't already earned...:biglaugh:

I'm still catching this on the fly. I'll get the info incorperated into the first post as soon as I can give it the uninterupted time....

Yeah super interesting guys, it's always a pain to find the right part for the right year model unless you buy it knew and OEM.

I've added to the first post of this thread what I felt comfortable with. Items in Red are in question or need conformation. Any items you see that need to be added, please post a description and change years. Thank you for the assistance. We have atleast got this started. See page 1, first post to find what is on the Official List.

My Bad, Fixed.. 12/12/2010

Added and corrected more data in first post of thread, 12/12/2010

Last edited:
Back