Gen II custom w/Gen 1 pieces commissioned by Yamaha, from Germany

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
1677359784745.png

JVB Moto, Cologne Germany

The bike was commissioned by Yamaha. When I first saw the Gen. 1 scoops, I wasn't too-keen on 'em, but with some time, I think they're OK, and they do appear to be OEM-based, look at the right scoop still has the water hose 'bump.'

During the Renaissance, the artists of the day intentionally designed-in 'flaws,' like Michaelangelo's statue of David, who slew Goliath, champion of the Philistines, with a sling weapon, has oversize hands. Why was this done? Because only God can make something 'perfect.' The right scoop and its remaining water hose 'bump' is the subtle imperfection. It also identifies the scoop to the VMax enthusiast as belonging to the Gen. 1 bike's design, where the bump actually served a purpose, clearance for the water hose. Here, it links the Gen. 1 design to the Gen. II design, 'flaw' and all. Two classics in performance motorcycles, both now out-of-production.

The remaining forward scallop for the original Gen. 1 CV carburetor caps, instead of forming around the induction system, forms around the thick frame member on each side.

The rear of the scoops is re-contoured to eliminate the rear-most of the Gen. 1 CV diaphragm caps' semi-circle reliefs, and in some way, the blocked-off scoop seems to complement the bike's lines. I think that it mimics the shape of the rear of the gas tank, and the two contours being roughly parallel as they sweep back and then take a downward-turn are what make the design work. The thick horizontal 'bar' on the Gen. 1 scoop's rear mimics the rear of the gas tank, which has a matte black thick horizontal 'bar' at its bottom-rear. Subtle details like that are what make a bike stand-out. It also allows the Gen. 1 piece to integrate into the Gen. II design.

I'm not sure what the valve is attached to the left side swingarm, possibly the shock adjustment? I also like the decal on the swingarm with the icon for 'fast forward' which certainly seems appropriate for this build.

Yamaha VMax JVB Moto Gen. II.png

I've seen Michaelangelo's David sculpture in the Louvre, and his hands are indeed larger-than life. You might say that with their emphasis on kick-ass acceleration, the Gen. 1 and the Gen. II are also larger than life.

Last edited:
Of the few custom gen 2's, this one is my favorite. The scoops were the first thing I liked. I also like the headlight & instrument cluster much better than the stock setup. I would, however, do something with the rear end. It's not bad but I would opt for something that looks a bit more similar to the original look. You are correct about the shock adjuster on the left side...preload adjuster.

Latest posts

Back