Gen II pothole mishap, rear wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRWard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and my 2018 Gen II had a run in with an Oklahoma pot-hole. I think the road won.20200427_184233.jpg Kept it upright, just took damage to the rear wheel, enough to knock the air out of her.
Looking for best option to get her back on the road again.
Option 1: take to a wheel straightner. Thoughts?

Option 2: new wheel route. What all would I need to purchase besides new wheel? What parts can I re-use and what parts should I buy new. I am thinking bearing, seal. Is that a kit?
Do the sensor rotor screws need to be replaced? Service manual on page 4-25 says replace with new ones.

I know wheel is pricey, but I dont want to be cheap, bike has 1500 miles on her. Like to keep her stock and safe.

I live in Michigan in this happen to me on a Suzuki B King and my Insurance cover cost just had to pay deductible

wow, are you sure you didn't hit the edge of the 'flat earth'
if you have to change the wheel there is nothing to lose in trying to hammer it back into shape enough to make an air seal, might keep you (carefully) on the road until you have a replacement sorted

Progressive sent a claims adjuster out and looked at my bike then they cut me a check and sent it to me in the mail and I took care of it from there

Me and my 2018 Gen II had a run in with an Oklahoma pot-hole. I think the road won.View attachment 71423 Kept it upright, just took damage to the rear wheel, enough to knock the air out of her.

Option 2: new wheel route. What all would I need to purchase besides new wheel? What parts can I re-use and what parts should I buy new. I am thinking bearing, seal. Is that a kit?
Do the sensor rotor screws need to be replaced? Service manual on page 4-25 says replace with new ones.

I know wheel is pricey, but I dont want to be cheap, bike has 1500 miles on her. Like to keep her stock and safe.
Looks like a 17 like mine you might check eBay or Craigslist some are doing big wheel kits and selling the stocker

Must have been a dandy of a hole!:(
Dandy hole it was. Wish I could have gotten a pic of it. City has already repaired it now. Gathering info to possible submit a claim to the city. It was about 2 ft in diameter and at least 6in deep.
20200427_183444.jpg
Like hitting a small curb at 40mph.
I know of 2 other people in cars that blew out tires after hitting it.
I actually knew about the hole, but my son was riding it that day. I was riding just behind him. I thought he knew about it or saw it, but the sun was low and visabilty was hampered a bit. My greatest thought was "Glad he wasn't hurt".
Hopefully have her back on the street soon. Gave me a good reason to exercise my "90" Gen 1 a bit, but just not the same thrill.

Last edited:
I hit a pot hole a couple months ago and cracked a rim on my truck and have had a leak ever since. first time a pot hole ever hurt me this bad

I hit a pot hole a couple months ago and cracked a rim on my truck and have had a leak ever since. first time a pot hole ever hurt me this bad

Glad you were able to keep her upright. That must have been a little scary

Me and my 2018 Gen II had a run in with an Oklahoma pot-hole. I think the road won.View attachment 71423 Kept it upright, just took damage to the rear wheel, enough to knock the air out of her.

I have never bent a motorcycle rim. Damn lucky you didnt get thrown. I did bend my roush rim a few years back racing on a tight road and back tire went just enough off the edge to catch a part of the asphalt that was missing. After researching and knowing how like like top speeds i opted to just replace it. Not a fan of aluminum being bent or bent back to have it fail later. Wheel repair is for your moms volvo not sports machines.

Making progress, Yeah!
Sean from Morley's Muscle sold/shipped me a used wheel.
Looks very promising. The bearings in the used one were a little rough, so thought since it was all apart, why not put new bearings and seal in it.
Removal of the old ones was not as smooth as I had hoped. Right one drove out, no problem, but the dang roller bearing on the left side was a "BITCH"! Tried 2 different pilot bearing pullers, just tore the inner guts out of it. Ended up cutting a small groove in it with a dremmel tool. Slid out pretty easy after that. Nicked the aluminum a few times, but the emery cloth smoothed most of it up. Still has a small cut, but should be okay.
If anyone has any tricks on how to get that sucker out of there, I will know next time.
.20200504_175456.jpg

Back